Review by Book Bear -- The Engine Woman's Light

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Review by Book Bear -- The Engine Woman's Light

Post by Book Bear »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Engine Woman's Light" by Laurel Anne Hill.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill is a fictional novel in the steampunk genre, a sub-genre of science fiction and fantasy. With the Victoria era and the arid American West as a backdrop, the story tells of a young girl named Juanita and her mystical travels. Juanita is instructed on a mission to save California's 'thrown-away' people from the fate of the asylum. In true steampunk style, this involves a steam train, Jules Verne-like contraptions and a mystical alternate realm. The tale of this girl's coming of age is dark and involves instructions from the mysterious Shadow World.

The beginning of the book began with an elderly woman saving her great-granddaughter from being given away as an orphan. It was one of the few times I felt I really had a grip on the storyline. However, her conversations with her deceased husband gave me the first insight into what was to come. At that point, I still innocently wondered whether she was mad or not. From then onwards, I was scooped up and taken on a maelstrom of a ride into an alternate time and place.

I felt a mix of emotions reading this book. The writing was truly adventurous and read very smoothly. The grammar and sentence construction was good. There were times when I felt in touch with the story. I enjoyed the first scenes on the train. I felt the hot and arid landscape very vividly. The smell and taste of tobacco was a repeated theme and could easily be imagined. However, there were other times when I felt rather irritated with the protagonist and her mission. I felt her relationships with other men were rather detached. I wondered if she really cared for any of them. Sometimes I wanted her to simply walk away and get on with a normal life.

For those who are taking their first tentative steps into this genre, something lighter might be in order. This book is complex and dark. The otherworldly scenes and mystical flavour often left me feeling a little dazed. I felt like I needed to hang on to the arm of the chair I was sitting in just to ground myself before attempting the next chapter. At times, I really didn't know what was going on.

The Engine Woman's Light is aimed at young adult readers. However, I would only recommend this to adult audiences because of the scenes of sex and rape. I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. Those interested in an adventurous read and have a passion for a gritty sub-genre of science fiction, namely steampunk, should enjoy this book.

The Engine Woman's Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Book Bear's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”