Official Review: The Rift Avatar by M. Garnet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Official Review: The Rift Avatar by M. Garnet

Post by RT_offscript »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Rift Avatar" by M. Garnet.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you had access to a machine that demonstrated artificial intelligence (AI) and recorded mankind’s history over millions of years, what would you do? Well, Lieutenant Junior Grade (LTJG) James Tanner did find such a machine. Interested? Then, read M. Garnet’s The Rift Avatar to determine whether you would make the same decisions as James!

The story begins many years into the future with James, who is a planetary paleohistorian stationed on the United Service Space Force (USSF) Acamar. The USSF Acamar is a large spaceship, whose existence is in response to the ongoing war efforts against unprovoked attacks from an alien race.

Although James is Navy, he is part of the Planetary Science (PS) Department, which is actually separate from the Marines, Pilots, and the rest of the Navy Divisions. In a society whose sole focus is on war, however, being listed as Navy is the only way for James to be a scientist; and based on his studies, mankind’s history only dated back to about two hundred thousand years ago on the world of Devin. Little did James know, the artifact – obtained from one of his off-ship assignments - is an intelligent twenty-five-million-year-old machine; and its long-dead human creator was from the mythical world of Earth.

As a science fiction fan who also enjoys philosophical books, I thought that The Rift Avatar had a lot of potential. Furthermore, Garnet masterfully kept the reader’s interest by narrating part of the story from the point of view of the machine, who was asking many of the thought-provoking questions.

Unfortunately, the author’s work did not meet my expectations. When I initially read the book, I noticed the presence of many distracting typos and grammatical errors. From the first few chapters, however, I thought that the plot had some promise. Therefore, after noting the first ten mistakes, I decided to give more consideration to the content and pay less attention to the incomplete and run-on sentences.

Regrettably, after completing The Rift Avatar, I still decided to rate Garnet’s work as 2 out of 4 stars. As I read the last few chapters of the book, my feelings were very mixed. At first, I thought that the plot was anticlimactic; as a result, I believed that the author unnecessarily dragged out the story. On the other hand, the ending was also sudden; and the hasty conclusion did leave me with a few unanswered questions.

Since I would classify Garnet’s work into the philosophy genre, the author’s objective could be to have an abrupt finale that leaves the reader with some closing but puzzling thoughts. Although The Rift Avatar was not for me, the story might better resonate with readers who do not mind having perplexed emotions at the culmination of the book.

The Rift Avatar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like RT_offscript's review? Post a comment saying so!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The plot of this book is very interesting. Many persons are very curious about the history of mankind and there are many theories out there concerning this issue. I chose to believe the Bible's account of this. I am also very sorry about the editorial flaws of this book. Thank you for your honest review.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:

Post by RT_offscript »

crediblereading2 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:12 The plot of this book is very interesting. Many persons are very curious about the history of mankind and there are many theories out there concerning this issue. I chose to believe the Bible's account of this. I am also very sorry about the editorial flaws of this book. Thank you for your honest review.
Yes, the plot - about mankind's history - did have potential. Although the story had editorial flaws, I thought that reading the book can only enhance my writing and reviewing abilities! Therefore, don't be sorry about the typos and grammatical errors. :)

I appreciate your reading my honest review; and thank you for your honest opinions about your beliefs! :)
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The plot sounds interesting, but to be honest, I find that there is a mismatch between the cover and the plot as well as the genre. Thank you for the review though!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:

Post by RT_offscript »

daydreaming reader wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 19:15 The plot sounds interesting, but to be honest, I find that there is a mismatch between the cover and the plot as well as the genre. Thank you for the review though!
Hi daydreaming reader -

When I was deciding on a book to read, the description captured my attention; therefore, I chose M. Garnet's work to review. Although "The Rift Avatar" did have a touch of sensual heat, I agree that another book cover would have been a better choice. :)

Thanks for reading my review; I appreciate your comments! :)
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Interesting review. I wouldn't read this book after reading your book. The typos and ungrammatical writing aside, a sci-fi story bordering on philosophical ramblings is just not my thing. Plus, if the author decides to end it on a hasty, inconclusive note, I'd rather stay away. Thank you for your review!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

It's a shame about the typos since I know just how distracting they can be. It's so hard to focus on the plot when the words aren't written correctly. I'm reading a book right now that's very similar in that regard, and it's so frustrating!
Your review, however, was enjoyable to read, so thanks for that :)
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:

Post by RT_offscript »

Fuzaila wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 05:15 Interesting review. I wouldn't read this book after reading your book. The typos and ungrammatical writing aside, a sci-fi story bordering on philosophical ramblings is just not my thing. Plus, if the author decides to end it on a hasty, inconclusive note, I'd rather stay away. Thank you for your review!
Hi Fuzaila -

I'm glad that my review was helpful in determining whether M. Garnet's The Rift Avatar would be your cup of tea!

Thanks for reading my review; I appreciate your comments! :)
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:

Post by RT_offscript »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 10:01 It's a shame about the typos since I know just how distracting they can be. It's so hard to focus on the plot when the words aren't written correctly. I'm reading a book right now that's very similar in that regard, and it's so frustrating!
Your review, however, was enjoyable to read, so thanks for that :)
Hi Bonnie -

I actually have never reviewed a book with many grammatical errors. Therefore, the reading experience was unexpected. Like I mentioned to crediblereading2, however, I believe that the experience will only enhance my writing and reviewing abilities! I hope that your current book will provide you with similar benefits!

As always, I appreciate your comments! :)
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

The theme of the book is quite interesting. The AI that stores history reminds me of a the book The time machine by H.G Wells. I enjoyed your review. Expecting more quality material from you.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:

Post by RT_offscript »

Sunnyroyish wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 00:33 The theme of the book is quite interesting. The AI that stores history reminds me of a the book The time machine by H.G Wells. I enjoyed your review. Expecting more quality material from you.
Thank you for your kind comments, Sunnyroyish! I'm glad that you enjoyed my review. I look forward to finding great novels to add to our bookshelves by reading each other's reviews. :)
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Since I'm not a fan of philosophy genre, I will pass this book. And I'm sorry to hear that it didn't meet your expectations. Very enjoyable and intriguing review.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:

Post by RT_offscript »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 12:49 Since I'm not a fan of philosophy genre, I will pass this book. And I'm sorry to hear that it didn't meet your expectations. Very enjoyable and intriguing review.
Hi Rosemary -

I am glad that you found my review intriguing. I hope that the review helped you in your decision of whether or not to read the novel. Although the story did not meet my expectations, I learned a lot about being a reviewer from this book; so, please don't be sorry. I hope that you are enjoying your current reading experience. :)
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

If I had access to such a machine that demonstrated Artificial Intelligence and recorded mankind's history over millions of years, I would guard it.It has to be very special.I can't wait to read this book.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:

Post by RT_offscript »

C-Extra22 wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 06:57 If I had access to such a machine that demonstrated Artificial Intelligence and recorded mankind's history over millions of years, I would guard it.It has to be very special.I can't wait to read this book.
Hi C-Extra22 -

I appreciate you for sharing your thoughts and decisions - if happen upon this special machine. :) Since you are leaning towards reading this book, I hope that the novel will resonate better with you than with me. :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”