Official Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Official Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pembrim" by Bree Lenehan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Halia Bodine never considered herself ordinary, but she would soon find that she was more unique than she ever thought possible. She grew up in a coastal town called Ameral Alley, yet she had never seen the ocean in person. She longed to feel sand on her skin, explore the beaches, and frolic in the waves, but was never permitted to by her Aunt Deedee. Halia always thought that her physical ailments were to blame. She was born with an incurable and rare lung disease. The disease required her to breathe oxygen through a nasal cannula and shortened her life expectancy to 20-years old. In addition to living with the disease, Halia never knew her parents. She had never even seen pictures of them. They died when she was one day old, leaving her to be raised by her loving but strict aunt. Their deaths remained a mystery to her. It wasn’t that she didn’t wonder what caused their demise, the information was just never shared.

Up until the day of her 17th birthday, the only adventures Halia had been on took place within the pages of novels she read. That and everything she thought she knew about herself changed when an enigmatic new classmate arrived at school carrying a strange book containing a map that she had only seen in her dreams. Trailing the strange boy, as well as using the information she recalled from the map, Halia stumbled upon Moa’s Rock and the hidden alcove it housed. Once inside the alcove, her adventure began. While meeting a variety of extraordinary underwater creatures and bonding with warriors, Halia comes to know the truth about her heritage and uncovers the cause of her parents’ death. Halia also learns the real reason her aunt forbade her to go near the ocean and finds herself facing a great darkness that has tormented her dreams since she was little.

In Pembrim: The Hidden Alcove, author Bree Lenehan weaves an intricate tale of self-discovery, strength, courage, and mercy. It is an inspirational piece of work filled with a plethora of excellent lessons beneficial to readers of all ages. It is classified as a young adult fantasy novel but carries subtle tones of romance, mystery, suspense, and action. Lenehan often used similes and alliterations throughout the novel. For example, she describes a gathering of nynxes, little living lights of the sea, as being “like a constellation in the night.” Examples of Lenehan's use of alliteration include, “inviolable infallibility,” “dangled dainty,” and “big, black beads…” The overall imagery of the book, which was aided using alliteration and similes, was brilliant. Lenehan crafted this beautiful, intriguing world that came to life as I read and made me want more. One sentence that I loved reads, "Her wheezing, heavy breaths were masked by the songbirds singing from the treetops; it was as though she could hear the stars twinkling. With the evergreen forest glowing and the crystallised flowers shining against the moonlight, she could've sworn black and blue that she felt the water vapour soaking her pores as the moisture evaporated towards the moon."

I found myself learning new words while reading this book. The vocabulary used by Lenehan is excellent. She includes words like pedantic, canorous, and pernicious, and also created an entirely new language called M'deian. It is the native tongue of the underwater warriors that Halia meets. Lenehan included a M'deian Glossary at the end of the novel, making it easy to follow along. The book was perfectly paced. The climax, which was well placed, had me at the edge of my seat.

I don't have many negative things to say about Pembrim: The Hidden Alcove. The punctuation and grammar were excellent. I only noticed a few errors, none of which took me out of the book. For example, one line of dialogue was missing quotation marks. The novel did contain some sentences that could be revised for clarity and a few that were redundant and unnecessary. An example of a sentence that could be revised reads, "The roots, they dug at the sand like claws." These do not distract from the book, and for that reason, I am rating it a 4 out of 4. I strongly recommend this book to anybody wanting to read a fantasy that they can get lost in. I feel that the book is comparable to a modern-day, underwater Alice in Wonderland. I would gladly reread this book (and probably will.)

Pembrim
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klwoodford's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

You seem to have enjoyed quite an overwhelming ride throughout this book, wish if I could see what you saw in this read. I love the cover illustration it paints a certain mystifying atmosphere to this book. Thank you for your detailed elaboration about this book!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

I think quite a few of us on here could relate to Halia only taking adventures through her books! I really like the imagery that you describe in this, it sounds gorgeous.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

"I feel that the book is comparable to a modern-day, underwater Alice in Wonderland. I would gladly reread this book (and probably will.)"

Nice description! Sounds very interesting. Sounds geared more toward teens, but probably enjoyable to adults as well. Would you agree with that?
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I feel that the book is comparable to a modern-day, underwater Alice in Wonderland. I would gladly reread this book (and probably will.)
That's quite a recommendation and you've really piqued my interest in the story. Great review!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Sounds great, I still love reading YA books even though I no longer belong in that group. Thank you for the great review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
ngoccanh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by ngoccanh »

Nice description! Sounds very interesting. Sounds geared more toward teens,Thank you for your detailed elaboration about this book!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The book Pembrim sounds like an interesting one, with new words to learn as well. I like how you said:
"In Pembrim: The Hidden Alcove, author Bree Lenehan weaves an intricate tale of self-discovery, strength, courage, and mercy. It is an inspirational piece of work filled with a plethora of excellent lessons beneficial to readers of all ages. It is classified as a young adult fantasy novel but carries subtle tones of romance, mystery, suspense, and action. Lenehan often used similes and alliterations throughout the novel."
It has a bit of everything!
klwoodford
Currently Reading:

Post by klwoodford »

kfwilson6 wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 13:35 "I feel that the book is comparable to a modern-day, underwater Alice in Wonderland. I would gladly reread this book (and probably will.)"

Nice description! Sounds very interesting. Sounds geared more toward teens, but probably enjoyable to adults as well. Would you agree with that?
Thank you! It is written more for a teenage population but I truly think that it can be enjoyed by adult readers too. It's a very colorful story, and I feel that the themes throughout the book, such as forgiveness and courage, can be good lessons easily related to regardless of age.
klwoodford
Currently Reading:

Post by klwoodford »

daydreaming reader wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 18:45 Sounds great, I still love reading YA books even though I no longer belong in that group. Thank you for the great review.
I do too! I feel like they are usually a nice, light read. I've also found that many young adult fantasy books have such imaginative and creative plots that make for entertaining stories. Thank you for the comment!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”