Official Review: Chicago 1871 by James E. Merl

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Re: Official Review: Chicago 1871 by James E. Merl

Post by kandscreeley »

Miriam Molina wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 06:00 I read "Yesterday" that also featured the Great Chicago Fire; I liked learning about that historical event. Now this book is from the point of view of the firefighters. It must be "one hell of a read" to get you to gush like that. So many good books, so little time!
It really was! It definitely made me think of Yesterday from the reviews I've read (as I haven't read the book.) It's definitely a different perspective, though! Thanks for your comment!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I love reading any fictional stories that are based off Chicago history, and this story sounds like an interesting blend of Chicago history and science fiction. Do you think there will be a sequel to this book?
:character-ariel:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Alicia09 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 20:11 I love reading any fictional stories that are based off Chicago history, and this story sounds like an interesting blend of Chicago history and science fiction. Do you think there will be a sequel to this book?
It wasn't really set-up for a sequel. The author does well at wrapping everything up nicely. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Alicia09 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 20:11 I love reading any fictional stories that are based off Chicago history, and this story sounds like an interesting blend of Chicago history and science fiction. Do you think there will be a sequel to this book?
I just got word that there will be a sequel. :) Good news!
—Neil Gaiman
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 17:52
I don't know if you can tell, but I absolutely loved Chicago 1871 by James E. Merl. There was action with Engine Company 8 fighting fires. There was some romance. There was mystery and science fiction. Is Mr. Kirk going to change the future? Will John ever get back home? Will his timeline be altered? There was a fabulous plot. And there were great characters with which I fell in love. I emphatically give this story 4 out of 4 stars. Perhaps those that don't enjoy novels placed in the past would not appreciate this book. However, for everyone else, I highly recommend you pick this story up. I can't wait to see what else the author comes up with.
It's quite obvious how the piece has captured your heart. I could also understand where you are coming from, indeed, through your well-written and compelling review. Thank you for sharing your fond feelings and well-founded thoughts on the piece.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Espie wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 06:28
kandscreeley wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 17:52
I don't know if you can tell, but I absolutely loved Chicago 1871 by James E. Merl. There was action with Engine Company 8 fighting fires. There was some romance. There was mystery and science fiction. Is Mr. Kirk going to change the future? Will John ever get back home? Will his timeline be altered? There was a fabulous plot. And there were great characters with which I fell in love. I emphatically give this story 4 out of 4 stars. Perhaps those that don't enjoy novels placed in the past would not appreciate this book. However, for everyone else, I highly recommend you pick this story up. I can't wait to see what else the author comes up with.
It's quite obvious how the piece has captured your heart. I could also understand where you are coming from, indeed, through your well-written and compelling review. Thank you for sharing your fond feelings and well-founded thoughts on the piece.
It was just perfectly well done! :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate it.
—Neil Gaiman
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the great review. This sounds like a very interesting book. Time travel, history a little romance. Will have to add this one to my list to read as I definitely want to see how this book ends up
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

What an interesting premise. Time travel, historical fiction and educational. What more could we want? Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

This sounds like a gripping novel, even with the time travel (which I kind of like, but which I also feel has been rather done to death ;)) Thanks for the great review :D
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

trajoe1206 wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 21:29 Thanks for the great review. This sounds like a very interesting book. Time travel, history a little romance. Will have to add this one to my list to read as I definitely want to see how this book ends up
It's absolutely worth the read. :) Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

JudasFm wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 05:45 This sounds like a gripping novel, even with the time travel (which I kind of like, but which I also feel has been rather done to death ;)) Thanks for the great review :D
It has kind of been overused, but, even so, all that you learn from the book is worth it! Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

First things first, I added the book to my "to read" shelf. Next, it's my turn to gush! You had me when you said, "He crawls inside the house in the year 2018; when he crawls out, it's 1871." I love how you mentioned John's in-depth knowledge about fires and the desire to prevent them. But how does that affect history and his personal timeline? I'm dying to find out! And like you, I love a book that can teach me things about history, not just tell stories. Thanks for the delicious exposé.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Vickie Noel wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 07:22 First things first, I added the book to my "to read" shelf. Next, it's my turn to gush! You had me when you said, "He crawls inside the house in the year 2018; when he crawls out, it's 1871." I love how you mentioned John's in-depth knowledge about fires and the desire to prevent them. But how does that affect history and his personal timeline? I'm dying to find out! And like you, I love a book that can teach me things about history, not just tell stories. Thanks for the delicious exposé.
Thanks for the generous comments! It was such a fabulous story; I learned so much. If you read it, let me know what you think.
—Neil Gaiman
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I am glad that it is not too technical on time traveling because that also makes my head hurt. Historical fiction is one of my favorites, so I will be checking this one out. Thanks for your review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

melissy370 wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 05:39 I am glad that it is not too technical on time traveling because that also makes my head hurt. Historical fiction is one of my favorites, so I will be checking this one out. Thanks for your review.
If you like historical fiction, you'll love this one. I enjoyed learning about Chicago and the great fire.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”