Official Review: Chicago 1871 by James E. Merl

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Re: Official Review: Chicago 1871 by James E. Merl

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 17:52 I hope that I didn't lose you at time travel. I know that it's an automatic turnoff to some, but this is so much more than science fiction. It's also a drama; it's a book about people and their lives. This is a book about the life of John Kirk and how he learns to fit in in 1871. This is a book about the people he meets - his fellow firefighters who use astonishingly modern methods to go about putting out these fires without the protection that technology affords us today. There's even just a bit of romance thrown in for good measure. The characters are so well drawn that you will swear you know them. You'll be sad that you are no longer part of their lives when the book ends.

Seems like you were speaking to me! I usually dismiss sci-fi books and time-travel stories but you made such a compelling argument on why I should give this book a chance! I love stories about human struggles with realistic characters and I like that this book has a little bit of everything and it won´t make my head spin with all the science behind time travel.
Your enthusiasm for the book is contagious and your review is really engaging, thanks!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I can see that you love your fantasy reads, it's evident in your review. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Lunastella wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 10:57
kandscreeley wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 17:52 I hope that I didn't lose you at time travel. I know that it's an automatic turnoff to some, but this is so much more than science fiction. It's also a drama; it's a book about people and their lives. This is a book about the life of John Kirk and how he learns to fit in in 1871. This is a book about the people he meets - his fellow firefighters who use astonishingly modern methods to go about putting out these fires without the protection that technology affords us today. There's even just a bit of romance thrown in for good measure. The characters are so well drawn that you will swear you know them. You'll be sad that you are no longer part of their lives when the book ends.

Seems like you were speaking to me! I usually dismiss sci-fi books and time-travel stories but you made such a compelling argument on why I should give this book a chance! I love stories about human struggles with realistic characters and I like that this book has a little bit of everything and it won´t make my head spin with all the science behind time travel.
Your enthusiasm for the book is contagious and your review is really engaging, thanks!
It really was just a good book all the way around! Thanks for commenting.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 03:45 I can see that you love your fantasy reads, it's evident in your review. Thank you for your review!
Not all of them, but this was so well done that I couldn't help but love it! Thanks so much for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

This book sounds like a very exciting adventure. I have to read it! Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cotwani, thanks for commenting. It was fun for sure.
—Neil Gaiman
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

If it wasn't for the time travel aspect I would not have been interested in reading this. I love the idea of someone wanting and be able to change the course of history by saving lives. I can't wait to see what decisions he makes.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 09:38 If it wasn't for the time travel aspect I would not have been interested in reading this. I love the idea of someone wanting and be able to change the course of history by saving lives. I can't wait to see what decisions he makes.
You will not regret reading this book. It was so much fun. Thank you for your comments.
—Neil Gaiman
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I don't know much about the Great Chicago Fire, but the idea of time traveling before it happens sounds worth investigating. Personally, I don't think I could change the past, given the fact that a lot of things probably changed because of an action. By changing it, you are only making a parallel universe.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

holsam_87 wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 18:53 I don't know much about the Great Chicago Fire, but the idea of time traveling before it happens sounds worth investigating. Personally, I don't think I could change the past, given the fact that a lot of things probably changed because of an action. By changing it, you are only making a parallel universe.
You're probably right, but it's still interesting to think about. And fun to read about.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I actually love time travel tales, but usually when the traveler is going to the future, as I do not like historical fiction; this one doesn't seem like it'll be the exception. Thanks for the review, though.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

MsTri wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 21:58 I actually love time travel tales, but usually when the traveler is going to the future, as I do not like historical fiction; this one doesn't seem like it'll be the exception. Thanks for the review, though.
I'm sorry to hear that. Not every book will be good for everyone, though. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”