Official Review: The Fall of Hate

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: The Fall of Hate

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fall of Hate" by Charles W. McDonald Jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The third book in an epic style series, The Fall of Hate by Charles McDonald did not disappoint! Complex and controversial, this particular book explores the personal history of the main character, Damon. Having set himself up as a deity, Damon has made allies, enemies, friends, and followers. Traveling through time and space, he breaks all the known "rules" in his quest for justice. However, the more Damon explores the concepts of evil, hate, and justice, the more complex his world becomes. His past spans an untold length of time. When he thinks on the evil that he has committed, he believes himself ultimately damned. What are the responsibilities for someone like Damon, who has nearly absolute power? Can he right the wrongs that were done to him or the wrongs that were done by him?

I would not suggest anyone read The Fall of Hate without having read the first two books. This is not a stand alone novel. However, having said that, if you are up for a mind-bending challenge, I highly recommend this series as a whole. If you are up for an emotional roller coaster, I definitely recommend this series. After reading the first two books, I thought I knew exactly what to expect and that nothing much could surprise me. I was wrong! This third book introduces the past behind Damon's past! Plans that have been set in motion since before the dawn of memory. Who exactly IS pulling the strings? Why Damon? Why the destruction of all mankind? Can Damon successfully create an alternate future? What does that involve?

With so much destruction, surely the ultimate cause is driven by hate. Can anyone or anything actually bring down the webs of deceit behind the violence that is rocking mankind on multiple planets? I cannot tell you the answer without divulging a plot spoiler that totally rocked my emotions. From a complete devastating low, to a high so personal and thrilling, I could not have guessed that particular turn in the plot. I cannot rightly designate it a plot twist, for in hindsight, it was a natural and necessary event. However, Damon's plots and schemes had not accounted for this miracle. As a result, he is made to reconsider, recalculate, and modify his master plan.

In my review of the first book, I noted that there were adult scenes that would hinder me from recommending the series to certain audiences. I am pleased to note that in this third book, the author has modified his descriptions to be much more "G-rated." While the author does include adult scenes, he describes them in a modest format that allows readers to do their own imagining, if desired.

The main characters continue to develop and unfold masterfully. Several characters come to crisis moments in which they must make crucial decisions. The reader is allowed to peak inside the minds of several key characters and see exactly what drives them. The one issue I had with the characters is that there are so many! Immortals of various stripes and humans all interacting according to their various personalities and characters! The author has an astounding grasp on humanity and various motives. I did get a bit confused at times as to some of the characters and how they fit into the past or present of the story. I was wishing for a listing of all the characters along with their histories and importance. When I got to the end, voila, there it was! It was as though the author read my mind. This would be easier to manage in a hard copy of the book, however. An e-copy isn't as flexible to flip back and forth when you need a refresher on someone.

All in all, I feel this book deserves a solid 4 out of 4 stars. I did not find editing errors, grammatical issues, or spelling problems. The author has woven an incredible tale that exceeds all my expectations. He deals with evil, hate, love, lust, power, and much more. The pace is just right for the story line. If you are interested in a complex fantastical science fiction epic that goes farther than Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, I suggest you check out this series.

The Fall of Hate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Your review is very astounding. Based on it, I feel compelled to start reading this book right away. I can see that Damon has a very complicated puzzle that he has to fit together in order to see his way in the scheme of things.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This does sound quite compelling and a bit of a ride. I think I would enjoy this series, as I like a complex and thought-provoking sci-fi/fantasy series.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Your enthusiasm for the book is contagious, and I enjoyed your engaging review. It's helpful to know that it's best read as the trilogy. Thanks for the recommendation.
tina52kurtz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tina52kurtz »

Your review has motivated me to seek out the first two books of the trilogy. This read will be a departure from the memoirs and nonfiction I usually read.
greenstripedgiraffe

crediblereading2 wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 21:22 Your review is very astounding. Based on it, I feel compelled to start reading this book right away. I can see that Damon has a very complicated puzzle that he has to fit together in order to see his way in the scheme of things.
Have you read the first two? Pretty sure you'll be totally lost if you jump into book three without reading the first two :) This series has taken me by surprise, by storm, and I am thrilled to have been able to review them!
greenstripedgiraffe

kfwilson6 wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 21:29 This does sound quite compelling and a bit of a ride. I think I would enjoy this series, as I like a complex and thought-provoking sci-fi/fantasy series.
Read the reviews of the first two books, also! I'm in love with the series :lol:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't remember having read your reviews of the first two in the series (but I probably did.) I'm glad that you enjoyed this and were able to see it through from beginning to end. It sounds like a great one, but I would definitely have to start at the beginning. Thanks for the great information!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This book sounds so very promising. Sci-fi epics only come around rarely (especially ones that are fantastically written and maybe even groundbreaking), this one sounds like it has the potential to become a new personal favorite! I am glad that the third book stepped back a little on the intimacy scenes. That is a plus in my book. I will have to check this out.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

thanks for the honest review. I think I will check out the first book of this series, and if I enjoy it (of course) I will read this one as well.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”