Review by msk350 -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
msk350
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msk350.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Review by msk350 -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by msk350 » 06 Aug 2018, 19:46

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo, America (along with most of the world) is no longer a democracy, and is run by several large corporations. Sliver is an assassin for one of these companies and has no qualms with his profession until he meets a woman who changes everything. As he continues to carry out his missions while escaping a murderous robot and a warzone, he begins to question his assignments and his purpose in life.

The book was a rare combination of exciting and fast-paced as well as deep and thought-provoking. The action scenes were tense and well written. The dystopia that he created was really fascinating, and I enjoyed reading the news articles and seeing the effects of the Registry and the Reclamation on society. Even small details that were only discussed in a few sentences, such as the behavior of the Rem-Cons, really stuck with me and made me think about human nature.

I felt that the complex protagonist was well balanced with interesting side characters, including some robots. The author portrayed the robots in a unique way that went beyond just the typical portrayals of artificial intelligence. There were several mysteries throughout the book that kept me guessing until they were nicely resolved by the end of the book. The author did a great job of building on typical themes of dystopias while adding some new and creative ways that technology could be used to oppress citizens, and I appreciated how he included both obvious and subtle references to historic and current events.

It is really hard to find anything negative to say about this book. I really liked the only female character in the book and was disappointed that she didn’t play a greater role, such as the many times when Sliver went on missions while she was stuck waiting in his airship. I also would have preferred to see what society was like for the average citizen much earlier in the book, as it could have helped put the articles about how the government takeover occurred into perspective. These were truly minor points in an otherwise enjoyable and engaging book.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys dystopia, science fiction, or action. Actually, I enjoyed this book so much that I’d even recommend it to people who typically don’t read those genres. The main character is morally grey, as he is an assassin (and not for the good guys), so I wouldn’t recommend this book for anyone who would be bothered by that. I really enjoyed the book and I’d definitely read another book by this author, especially one that takes place in the same dystopia he created. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like msk350's review? Post a comment saying so!

Lilyreads+
Currently Reading: Heartaches 3: Bad Boy Vibes
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyreads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Lilyreads+ » 07 Aug 2018, 11:24

What an intriguing review! I enjoy the way this book was described. It sounds interesting and I will have to check it out soon1

msk350
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msk350.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by msk350 » 07 Aug 2018, 20:34

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I'd definitely recommend reading the book.

IntrovertBooklover
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-introvertbooklover.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by IntrovertBooklover » 09 Aug 2018, 19:05

Your review is great! I'm going to read this book soon.
"You got it, dude" -Michelle (from Full House) :handgestures-thumbupright:

Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Requiem for the status quo by Irene Frances Olson
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader » 09 Aug 2018, 20:45

You write a compelling review. I might have to jump into this one.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”