Official Review: Christmas on Planet Earth by Mike Corbin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Christmas on Planet Earth by Mike Corbin

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Christmas on Planet Earth" by Mike Corbin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Christmas on Planet Earth by Mike Corbin is the science fiction alien Christmas story for your holiday season.

Nineteen-year-old Pix has spent almost her entire life in an orphanage. When Santa Claus mysteriously appears at her orphanage on Thanksgiving, Pix follows him, wanting to know who he really is and to make sure the kids at the orphanage aren’t in danger. Imagine her shock when Santa turns out to be her long-lost father (who is not actually Santa Claus). Pix is also reunited with her mother for the ultimate holiday gift.

But the reunion is short-lived. Pix’s parents are agents of an alien taskforce that keeps the universe in check, and there’s a threat to Earth in the form of Velim—insect-like creatures. Can Pix, her parents, and her new boyfriend save Earth and Christmas?

I love a good Christmas (or any holiday really) story. This one had all the elements of seasonal cheer. Orphanage of underprivileged kids? Got it. Magical visit from Santa? Yup. Alien race that wants to destroy humanity? I was reminded of a Power Ranger’s Christmas special I once saw where the poor rangers had to go fight evil on Christmas. This so isn’t the point of the holidays, but I loved the kick-butt Christmas story. Christmas on Planet Earth would make a neat movie.

Pix is a great leading character. She’s smart, sassy, and willing to do anything to protect her loved ones. Guy, her new boyfriend, is also quite the, well, guy. He’s charming and genuinely cares about Pix. They make a cute couple and team.

Unfortunately, I encountered some pretty big areas of confusion. There is an alien who goes by Normandy (among other names). He wants to destroy the orphanage to build a mall. There is also the greater plot to take out all humankind, and I had a tough time figuring out how these things were related. The early pages got me hooked with reveal after reveal, and I wanted to know more. Shortly after, though, the pacing got weird. The story alternated between moving fast with relevant details and feeling bogged down by stuff I wasn’t sure about the importance of. The ending tied up most of the loose ends but left me wanting.

One of my favorite things about science fiction is the technology. I love seeing how tech has progressed and what characters can do with their futuristic gadgets. There is no shortage of neat future technology in Christmas on Planet Earth, but I couldn’t for my life figure out how it worked. It was explained, but the explanation went right over my head. Where the pacing got strange, the technology felt like a device for convenience. The characters needed or wanted to do something, and ta-da, it was doable very easily. For me, it took away from the suspense. I stopped wondering if there would be a solution because the technology let anything happen.

I rate Christmas on Planet Earth 2 out of 4 stars. The story had a lot of potential but didn’t feel executed as well as it could have been. This in addition to punctuation errors throughout and some other grammar mistakes keep me from rating this book higher. The Christmas side of the story, however, really grabbed me, and because of that, I won’t rate this 1 star. I recommend this book for science fiction fans who don’t mind suspending disbelief for tech. I also think anyone who wants an unconventional Christmas story would enjoy this.

Christmas on Planet Earth
View: on Bookshelves

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The story sounds interesting, especially the part where aliens are attempting to destroy the world, I would to see how these smart skillful creatures were stopped. Thanks for your intriguing review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Seems the structure of this read is not aligned well that's why there are a lot of errors. Too bad about the errors it takes the Christmas spirit away. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

This is definitely one of the most original book concepts that I've seen! It's a pity about the pacing. When something starts off so well it really is a let-down.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

There should absolutely be a balance between the fact that in the future technology will be advanced and just having anything at all that the characters need to get them out of problems. A good story has that balance figured out and will problem solve in other ways. It sounds like the author still needs to figure that part out a bit. Still, it's got potential from the sounds of it. Thanks for another fabulous review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Though I've read other versions of Santa delivering toys to orphanages, this is the first one related to aliens. From your review, the story sounds interesting except for the confusing details and errors. Thanks for the great review!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Honestly, I had no idea what exactly I was expecting with the name "Christmas on Planet Earth", regardless, this certainly an interesting and original story line. I would read it purely based on that. Thank you for the review!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Your review was such fun to read-great job :) Perhaps Normandy really wants to build a mall so the humans can have one last hurrah before he wipes them off the planet? And maybe the orphanage just happens to be in the most absolutely perfect spot for said mall? Haha

I like that you rounded up your score based on the Christmas theme; Santa will look favorably on that come December.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

This is a great review. Christmas on Planet Earth sounds like it will be a fun story for the whole family to read.
Chelsea N. Hackett
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I really don't enjoy when things happen in stories that are too convenient. To me, that shows that authors don't know how to tie everything together or solve problems they made their characters have. This started off sounding interesting, but the more I read, the less I thought I would enjoy this book.
Sophia Villo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-villo.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Sophia Villo »

Thank you for your review. I'm not sure if I really want to read it now or not, but come Christmastime (or shortly thereafter) I might feel differently.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”