Review by Vscholz -- Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Vscholz -- Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by Vscholz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Theodil creates Zots, then Xoodles. Before long, he has created a universe but not without being questions by his audience about his creation process. Why not create the final product in the beginning instead of starting with the smallest parts? Despite being a seemingly all-knowing being, Theodil enjoys playing with his Zots and Xoodles until they form something much more complex, allowing for a philosophical conversation about the history of the universe as a winding road with multiple stops rather than a straight path with one destination.

Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed is a short although complex book. It explores the idea of creation and addresses the notion of omniscience. The writing style is whimsical yet pseudo-scientific, conveying the message without much explanation. After reading this book, I was able to grasp the meaning in my mind, but relaying it to someone else required more thought because of the complex ideas presented in the text.

I imagine the plot playing out similar to a play, with the Internuncio appearing briefly as an announcer before exiting the stage. As a fan of classic plays (such as Euripedes or Sophocles), I appreciated how Zarqnon was able to bring this setting to mind. I also really appreciate the notion that inventors may have an ideal final product in mind, but they do not always have the foresight to go from idea to product. They must figure out how to get from one point to another, and while it may seem frustrating at times, especially with outsiders criticizing every step, the path itself is a journey to be enjoyed.

The language used in this short book is reminiscent of Dr. Seuss, as evidenced in the title itself. The sentences are filled with alliteration and unusual words, making it fun to read while prompting the mind to work at comprehension and translating it into a different style of speech.. It is interspersed with comic-style images and graphs that appear more scientific to supplement the text, balancing the whimsy of the story with the serious philosophical questions. The only real problem that drew me out of the prose was the constant use of quotations around the word “bubbles;” instead, Zarqnon could have changed it to another word as he did with “dots” and “noodles” which would have made it more consistent.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There are some minor punctuation and grammatical errors, but not quite enough to detract from the quality. I recommend this book to someone who enjoys the writing style of Dr. Seuss mixed with philosophy, perhaps fans of the “Popular Culture and Philosophy” series of books. Zarqnon the Embarrassed's book is definitely for those who like to contemplate about philosophical topics. I would not recommend this book for children—the language may be fantastical, but it is still handles rather complex ideas that they may not quite understand.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Vscholz's review? Post a comment saying so!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Book sounds interesting. Unique. It would be something different and I'm trying to be more open minded when it comes to books. Might try it. Thank you for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 00:41 Book sounds interesting. Unique. It would be something different and I'm trying to be more open minded when it comes to books. Might try it. Thank you for the review!
You are very welcome! Thank you for reading my review.

It certainly is unique and I was apprehensive about it at first. I figured it was short enough to give it a try, and it really does give you plenty to think about despite its brevity.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

How do you convey a themed message without much explanations? This is high praise for the writer then I guess. The author must be quite intelligent and or super-inspired to have taken on the theme of creation with such a title, what do you think.
Nice review by the way. I should add the book to my to-read list.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

ea_anthony wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 03:18 How do you convey a themed message without much explanations? This is high praise for the writer then I guess. The author must be quite intelligent and or super-inspired to have taken on the theme of creation with such a title, what do you think.
Nice review by the way. I should add the book to my to-read list.
I think it comes down to general ideas that are open for interpretation. I do literary analysis as part of my job, so I could just be viewing it that way.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I guess you have a point there. Still toe the line of high intelligence and or inspiration to come out with general ideas which support multiple interpretations.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”