Review by melissy370 -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
melissy370
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Stylars quest for freedom part 2 by Craig archibald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by melissy370 -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by melissy370 » 31 Jul 2018, 12:59

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

World Incorporated by Tom Gariffo is a dystopian fiction that predicts what could develop if current events continue.  The subject of freedom prevails throughout the narrative and should strike a chord with every person.  The freedom to manage your money however you want to, the freedom to think and say what you want, and even freedom on how you live and die.  Gariffo interweaves all this and more into a story that not only is dramatic and compelling but also thought-provoking. If you love books that have sci-fi components, has suspense and is character-driven, then this one is for you.

Right from the get-go, the action begins with Sliver executing one of his missions in middle America.  Who is Sliver?  He is an agent who works for World Incorporated, one of the five supercorporations that regulate every aspect of humanity.  With the supercorporations in control, access to education and jobs is universal, and crime and pollution have become absent.  With this good also comes the bad.   The supercorporations push consumerism in every area of life, even penetrating the religious domains.  Flare-ups between supercorporations also happen intermittently over jurisdictions causing death and destruction.  None of this bothers Sliver for he views it as just the way things are.   He had ceased caring about anything except his intense hatred for a man named Ancarn and vowed to get his revenge.

Gariffo's talent shines in his world building and characterization.  Some technology advancements are not as original, but the way he uses them in the story makes it exciting and fresh.  Through his words, I could picture myself in that world, and I can see the beginning of these circumstances in today's time.   The unraveling of Sliver's mysterious persona is one of my favorite features of this work.  At first, he appears as a jaded cold, calculated assassin.  During the progression of the story though, the author reveals other layers of his personality and life that make you change your mind about him.  I went from recoiling from his behavior to being sympathetic and rooting for him.  

I have a few small critiques of this book.  One would be that the secondary characters were not fleshed out enough.  The author portrayed Sliver so well that the other characters felt a little flat compared to him.  I would have liked more depth in their thoughts and feelings. There is also a considerable amount of coarse language throughout the story, and due to Sliver's occupation, multiple deaths occur that seem callous.  With the dark scenarios that develop the author tries to balance it out with some humor.

There are a few loose ends left in the plot at the conclusion which leads me to believe this is not the last time we will hear about Sliver and his journey.  I for one am looking forward to reading further about him and without a doubt, I rate World Incorporated by Tom Gariffo 4 out of 4 stars.  Even with the minor flaws, I thought this book was masterfully written and exceptionally edited.  

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like melissy370's review? Post a comment saying so!

Kibetious
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator by Penny Singham

Post by Kibetious » 01 Aug 2018, 08:07

This is a very interesting book. I am intrigued by the subject matter and I would love to read it too. It is very likely that there a sequel to this will be released soon.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Abigail R
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 108
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R » 01 Aug 2018, 08:30

So many dystopian fictions out there! However, this one does seem new and exciting. Thanks for the review!

Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 » 24 Aug 2018, 05:21

The use of coarse language in the book doesn't make it appealing.The language could have been better.Thanks for the nice review.

ParadoxicalWoman
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradoxicalwoman.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by ParadoxicalWoman » 26 Aug 2018, 23:13

It appears this book to be futuristic to me and the New World Order suddenly came to mind. Good review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by C-Extra22 » 01 Sep 2018, 14:33

What do you think the future would look like based on this book? I anticipate a lot of technological advancements.

Rain18
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading: Concealment
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rain18.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Rain18 » 02 Sep 2018, 13:34

Enjoyed your review of the book. It was an interesting shift in character for an assassin turned "soft." Seeing Sliver begin to acknowledge his feelings after meeting Kelly was interesting and scary.
Rain18
“Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots.”
– Frank A. Clark

Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by Onyinye Excel » 06 Sep 2018, 10:09

Freedom on how you live and die? Wow! How was this reflected in the plot?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”