Official Review: Fairy Tales that Resonate Today

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Official Review: Fairy Tales that Resonate Today

Post by Samy Lax »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fairy Tales that Resonate Today" by Murray Grossan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Well, are you confident you know what Cinderella is all about? And how about Jack and the Bean Stalk? Yes, you say? And Rapunzel too? Amazing! So, listening to these tales once more might just not be too engaging for you then. At least that’s the thought that Murray Grossan, author of the book Fairy Tales that Resonate Today, believed when he decided to wipe clean all chances of boredom by adding plot twists into each of these beloved fairy tales. These revamped versions of these fairy tales feel somewhat familiar, but – in places – also prove to be shockingly different.

Cindy Roundtree (Cinderella) lost her mother (the Countess) and her father (the Count) remarried—you know it—an evil witch. However, what you didn’t know was that her gullible father also had a lawyer and good friend who was shocked to see that the Count had left everything to his new wife. This lawyer had the presence of mind to ask the reason why the Count hadn’t included Cindy in the will. But boy oh boy, nothing matters when the witch has capabilities to brew potions to “fix” the smartest of people. Or does it? Grossan has introduced so many modern twists to the tale that you cannot even imagine, but what’s best about it? There IS a happily ever after at the end.

And this is just one of the fairy tales that have been given a twist by the author. The other modern-day fairy tales (well, these are not really enchanting, but more realistic) in the book are Jack and the Bean Stalk, Rapunzel Rapunzel Let Down Your Hair, Hansel and Gretel, Snow White and Small Helpers, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and Not Little Red Riding Hood.

As a fan of books and movies that involve fantasy, I was fascinated with the idea of there being splashes of the modern day added to stories we loved listening to as children. For instance, it was really chuckle-worthy to see that Prince Harry was taken with Cinderella’s golden hair that “looked just like [in] the L’Oréal ads.” Sadly, though the stories were good for the most part, some of them proved to be a little slow and drawn out and failed to pack a proper punch.

I’ll take the example of the Cinderella story here as I have already spoken about it above. While it was good to see that Prince Harry’s people ran DNA tests on Cinderella’s slipper to find out who it belonged to (I like how they used modern science here and made the whole thing more logical), from then on, the story just stretched and stretched to a point that I was checking to see if there were other stories in the book. The story deviates a lot from the main plot and takes many side trips, and this did manage to get the interest level down a bit. Even so, the way the different scenes were knit together in each of the stories was good, and I felt as if I really wanted to find out what turn the story took next for the most part. There were also a few funny scenes, though not too frequent in the book; so, overall, I would still consider this book entertaining if you go in knowing what to expect.

Another thing I really liked about these stories was the measure of realism mixed into each. While “true love” is not something that most of these stories showcase, these modern tales do manage to showcase real human behavior that we are accustomed to seeing in life or reading in the news. The inclusions of such realistic twists to the story gave the book more credibility, while keeping the language easy to understand and the flow smooth.

Unfortunately, the grammar itself wasn't dealt with the same expertise. There were issues with punctuation, missing spaces, missing or extra quotation marks, incorrect word usage, and capitalization. Additionally, there was a lot of mention of rape and fake orgasms and internet sex. This means that this book definitely isn’t for the younger age groups.

After giving a lot of thought as to the rating, I've decided to give Fairy Tales that Resonate Today 3 out of 4 stars. I did point out a number of reasons that prevented this book from being rated higher; however, I didn't think they justified giving this book just 2 stars. 3 stars sounded just about right. I recommend this story to grown-up (you see why I have to mention this) fans of fairy tales who aren’t easily offended by mentions of sex and orgasms. There were no sexual scenes as such, so readers who avoid such things can safely pick up this book too.

Fairy Tales that Resonate Today
View: on Bookshelves

Like Samy Lax's review? Post a comment saying so!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Fairy Tales that have been updated with modern technology and have new and different plot twits does sound enticing. But it sounds like the stories, especially the Cinderella becomes a little slow and lengthy. I think I'll pass on this one for now. Thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love when people take old stories like this and put a new twist on them! Sometimes masterpieces come out of something like that. I think I could overlook the errors as this one sounds really fascinating to me! I can't wait to see what twists and turns he puts into these. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

I still love to read fairy tales and I would love it. Nice review!
Amylynn0318
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Amylynn0318 »

Love the idea of taking something that we have heard many of times, like these old tales and putting a new twist on it. Makes for a more fun and intriguing read.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Great review. I feel that I am already hooked and can't wait to read this book. A modern take on classic fairytales sounds awesome. The errors might be annoying but I will push past them.
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

AmySmiles wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 07:30 Fairy Tales that have been updated with modern technology and have new and different plot twits does sound enticing. But it sounds like the stories, especially the Cinderella becomes a little slow and lengthy. I think I'll pass on this one for now. Thanks for the review!
Yeah, Cinderella had me frustrated too. So, I get what you are saying.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I'm in a dilemma here - I don't know whether I will the twists that enchanted me once upon a time will appeal to me or will leave me feeling the fairy tale has been ruined! Thanks for the great review though!!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for the great review! Now I'm torn - because I'm not sure whether modernizing the tales that once enchanted me will impress me, or make me feel the fairy tales have been ruined!!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I think it's a great venture Grossan has endeavored into. I admire stories that have been given a major twist, and to see that these stories were made more modern and highly logical - imagine testing Cinderella's shoes for DNA - is indeed applaudable!
Last edited by Dahmy 10 on 31 Jul 2018, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I think it's a great venture Grossan has endeavored into. I admire stories that have been given a major twist, and to see that these stories were made more modern and highly logical - imagine testing Cinderella's shoes for DNA - is indeed applaudable. I only hope it was stressed out in the book that it's not for children.

Thanks for this superb information!!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I really love short stories, and to learn that this book comprises a glimpse of modern technology is an added advantage. I will add it to my to-read list. Thanks for your intriguing review.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I like the fairy-tales-with-a-twist idea. Sounds like a fun book :) Thanks for the great review!
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 09:44 I love when people take old stories like this and put a new twist on them! Sometimes masterpieces come out of something like that. I think I could overlook the errors as this one sounds really fascinating to me! I can't wait to see what twists and turns he puts into these. Thanks!
The errors did get to me, but if you can overlook those, this book is truly entertaining.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Fairy tale retellings are a specialty of mine, and I am always looking for ones to read. My dissertation concentrated on the posthuman aspects of specific series, but I am not (entirely) married to that, especially when reading for fun.

I am adding this book to my TBR list immediately!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”