Official Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do you get when you cross terrorists, biker gangs, nerdy scientists, and futuristic technology? Ben Schneider gives us a glimpse into such a world in his action-packed thriller, Chrome Mountain. Following a duo of protagonists, Sonya and Trey, the narrative starts out by laying the background for each of their stories. Sonya has recently escaped from a biker gang and its leader, her violent ex-boyfriend, and after a series of near-miss run-ins with the gang’s cronies, goes to live in hiding at her grandmother’s house. Trey is a scientist who invented an invisibility shield but destroyed it out of fear of it falling into the wrong hands and being used for nefarious purposes. They cross paths by accident, after Trey begins to be pursued by the Chrome Falcons, a widely-reaching and heavily-armed terrorist organization. Trey is unsure why he is being targeted, unable to seek help from the authorities who believe he is working alongside the terrorists, and as he and Sonya join forces to flee from the group, they are pursued not only by the terrorists but by police as well.

With sheer luck and bravado, the pair is able to board and sabotage one of the terrorists’ planes, and gain access to weapons, money and diamonds. Using these items, they set up a temporary home in a hotel, meanwhile preparing for the showdown they know is coming. They are also contacted by the FBI who want to join efforts toward the cause of apprehending the terrorists. However, this is easier said than done, as the group is large, widespread, and has access to deadly technology that is not even known to exist. Trey and Sonya must fight to keep themselves and their friends and family safe from the evil organization, while also trying their best to ensure that massive casualties are avoided. Meanwhile, the ghosts of Sonya’s past continue to lurk and threaten the duo from yet another direction.

This is, undoubtedly, an exciting, intense and thrilling story, with several elements that mark it as unique in the sea of action thrillers. One element particularly worth mentioning is that the author works a story of Christian redemption (as well as a character’s faith conversion) into the events. This is not something I was expecting out of this particular genre, and I can see how different audiences may have different reactions to this aspect of the book. To me, the character who came to adopt the Christian perspective did so rather suddenly, with little contemplation yet quite a bit of commitment, which rang somewhat hollow and unrealistic. I would expect a faith journey to take some time, and be a source of deliberate questioning and at least some resistance, yet it seemed instead that the author was eager to skip the blissful post-conversion stage, where the character already feels strengthened and emboldened by their new relationship with a higher power. Though I can see how folks who are specifically looking for this in a story would appreciate it, I am not sure that it would have a reaching message to a broader audience.

I also found the writing style to have a mix of positive and negative qualities. One aspect that I appreciated was how the two main characters, as well as some of the side characters, had deep and richly developed back stories, which thoroughly explained their motivations and character profiles. On the other hand, I found much of the dialogue between characters to be unrealistic in a number of ways. It was often overly expository, explaining every element of the situation in greater detail than a person who is having a natural conversation with another person already aware of the situation they are in. It was also often laced with verbal clichés, especially in the scenes where the two main characters were discussing their budding romance, or their faith in God. Similarly, there were quite a few scenes in which the characters had an internal monologue, which was also often written in an overly-expository and verbose manner – not the way one typically speaks to themselves.

Finally, there was one additional element that rubbed me the wrong way. The author appears to lack a certain level of cultural sensitivity when describing certain groups of people. Some examples of this include his repeat mention of one character’s Asian background (which was not necessary to any elements of the plot), including referring to the character as “that Asian” at one point, repeat references to Trey’s “jewfro” (despite Trey not being Jewish, as far as I could tell from the plot), and numerous instances of disparaging remarks about fat or “obese” people, including a story of one falling asleep behind a motorized shopping cart and knocking over a stack of groceries, which was supposed to be a funny story. I did not find this funny, and did not understand what place the negative commentary about body size had in a story full of exploding cars, planes, and helicopters.

Nonetheless, I believe there is an audience out there for this book – primarily action lovers, and perhaps those looking for a new spin on Christian fiction. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I would not recommend it to minors, as there is quite a bit of violence, along with a small amount of swearing (along with quite a few uses of the words “slut” and “whore” when referring to women).

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, it sounds interesting to combine a biker gang with futuristic technology. But, obviously, this one needs a bit more help before I would read it. I dislike when authors insert cultural slurs for absolutely no reason at all. I mean if it's a book about WWII or something, I guess you can expect some of that, but not just for random purposes. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

bluegreenmarina wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 13:52 What do you get when you cross terrorists, biker gangs, nerdy scientists, and futuristic technology?
This sentence alone turns me away from the book. I appreciate your honest review though.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Wow! What a suspenseful and scary adventure Trey and Sonya have encountered. This sounds like a very lively read. Thank you for your brilliant review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Wow! What a suspenseful and scary adventure Trey and Sonya have encountered. This sounds like a very lively read. Thank you for your brilliant review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The cultural slurs are a real turn-off. Though the book doesn't sound like a good fit for me, I did enjoy your honest review!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Too bad the Christian element wasn’t presented in a realistic way. On the whole, this one seems to fall short of its potential. Thanks for your honest review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
florence faith
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by florence faith »

Hmmmm. I'll try this one.
ssnv893
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssnv893.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by ssnv893 »

I could not even get through this book because of the over-expository nature of the writing, it was much too tedious. I couldn't originally put my finger on what was bothering me and as I read your review the lightbulb turned on. Thank you for a very thorough and objective review!
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I also noticed his lack of respect to other races that made me reduce the rating of the book. Despite of the action-packed storyline, the culture indifference lingers more than the storyline itself.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Except for the slurs, this seems like an exciting action thriller. I just hope the humor mentioned is not mostly just making fun of others as you described. Thanks for the review!
Maya_Nyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maya-nyssa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Maya_Nyssa »

I appreciate your thorough review. It seems like the plot has too many elements that do not meld together well. Coupled with the negative cultural references, I don't think this book is for me.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Chrome Mountain by Ben Scheneider is a wonderful story of Sonya Trey. They suffer a journey to escape from a gang of terrorists. I like it.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

Chrome Mountain sounds action-packed. Your review is pretty detailed, but I didn't think the book had this much flaw. Thanks for your honest review.
DJHowson
Favorite Book: The Lightkeeper's Daughters
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by DJHowson »

Cecilia_L wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 19:14 The cultural slurs are a real turn-off. Though the book doesn't sound like a good fit for me, I did enjoy your honest review!
Ditto. I love futuristic sci-fi, but after reading this review I am removing the book from my want-to-read list.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”