Official Review: Redemption by Keith Von Blanckensee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Redemption by Keith Von Blanckensee

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Redemption" by Keith Von Blanckensee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All aboard who’s coming aboard the airship Redemption. We sail the high winds of Nether in search of excitement and adventure!

Alternatively: Nether. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the airship Redemption.

Can you tell I loved this book?

Redemption by Keith Von Blanckensee starts with James and Sam, two kids dreaming up the ship Redemption and a world for it to explore, Nether. Chapter 1 opens in the very real Nether aboard the very real Redemption. Redemption’s captain is awoken by a lurching of the ship. He goes on deck to learn his wife has been taken by a warship. When pursuit and an attempted attack on the warship leaves Redemption damaged, the captain and his crew must seek aid from the most unlikely sources. Their only clue is a black flag emblazoned with a red scythe. Who took the captains wife, and why?

I literally could not put this book down. I tried. The characters drew me in from the first pages. James and Sam are fantastic kids. In the main story, Redemption’s crew is a joy. They are a family of humans and anthropomorphic animals that just stole my heart. I loved the heck out of them all, both as individuals and as a unit. Barb, the engineer and youngest member of the crew, holds a special place in my heart. She’s a genius who is fiercely protective of her companions. I wanted to hang out in the engine room with her. Similarly, Cook (the ship’s appropriately named cook) has a backstory shrouded in mystery. I want a book about how Cook got to the Redemption.

Nether is one of the most awesome worlds I’ve ever had the pleasure of soaring through. It is a void in shades of blue and purple. Giant chunks of rock drift through the nothingness, presenting hazards for travelers. Lightning flashes at intervals, and the sun, when it rarely appears, is blue. If I had the chance, I would board a ship bound for Nether. It’s too cool to resist.

The story unfolded without a hitch. Like the Redemption, I sailed along, eager to know what happened next. Fair warning, the ending is a bit of a twist. Those opposed to such endings may wish to skip this one, but personally, I didn’t find the twist too twisty at all. Rather, I was amazed at how subtly the author led up to it. The epilogue sets up for a sequel, and I hope that’s a sign of things to come. I want more of the Nether, the Redemption and its crew, and the magical battle potentially looming on the horizon.

There was a smattering of errors throughout the text. Due to this, I must rate Redemption 3 out of 4 stars. These errors are literally the only thing keeping me from awarding this book a full score. I recommend this book for lovers of unique fantasies. Readers who enjoy ensemble casts would also enjoy this read. Even if you aren’t a lover of speculative fiction, this book has so much about friendship and the human condition. It tugged at my heartstrings one moment and had me laughing out loud the next. There are a few incidents of strong language, but they are few. So if that doesn’t bother you, come fly aboard the Redemption for parts unknown and action untold. You won’t regret joining this crew.

Editor's Note: The typos/errors noted by the reviewer have since been corrected.
Redemption
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Shasha29
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shasha29 »

The title and the story itself, the characters are very interesting and I'm so excited about what happened next. this is a good book to read.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

So the book is about adventure. I'm eager to know what they encountered with on the way. The review is really great. You were able to give us a glimpse of what is happening while at the same time, hiding interesting parts of the story for readers to find out for themselves. Nice.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

It seems this book has caught my heart already. But the way you put this review was sensationally poignant. You could have gotten an opportunity to hang out with Barb though, who knows...

Thanks for sharing!!
Crainbow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crainbow.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Crainbow »

This is the first non-robotic review I've seen so far, honestly. It's unique and simply real. No programming involved. Thanks for an awesome review. The book's cover alone makes me really curious though I'm not too big on Sci-Fi and fantasy books, movies, I greatly enjoy, but not the books. The story altogether doesn't sound too appealing to me but this review is lit.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for emulating the book's theme in your review. It's interesting to know that it is compelling enough to positively affect and amuse you, too.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
paulineganda
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by paulineganda »

the story is very interesting and I can't wait to see what happen in next.. i like it really...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You can count me in despite the errors. If you loved it that much, it must have been a good book! I can't wait to hear more about Nether. Thanks for another great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
florence faith
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by florence faith »

While reading your review I was thinking of one piece (anime haha!) Anyway, I can see that this book is my soulmate. I love adventures!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Oooh. Great characters and a twist ending. I’m sold.
Great review. I loved your intro.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

After reading your review, i thought to myself how adventures are fun but there are dangers that spoil the fun and embitter the moment. Thanks for hinting us what the book, redemption, is about.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love the excitement of your review. You obviously loved the book which speaks well of the plot and story line. Thanks for a great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”