Official Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year is 2058. The United States collapsed due to its inability to deal with an economic meltdown and social unrest. Nation-states ceased to exist. A number of powerful supercorporations took over the world. Human beings are no longer citizens of nations but rather consumers. The supercorporations control everything: education, work, health care, security, and information. As a result, they compete with each other for the consumers' loyalty by using any means necessary.

Agent Sliver works as a henchman for Fellrock, the CEO of World, Incorporated. He has done Fellrock's dirty work for the past fours years without question. A job is just another job for him until the day he decides to save Kelly. The empathy he felt toward her stirred feelings and memories about his mysterious past. The only thing he remembers for sure is that he wants to kill Ancarn, the CEO of Multinational. Where does Agent Sliver come from? How did he end up working for World, Incorporated? Why he wants to kill Ancarn with such fervor? What will happen once he starts questioning the status quo of a world run by supercorporations?

Written by Tom Gariffo, World, Incorporated: A Modern Dystopia is a science fiction, action thriller, and dystopian novel consisting of 286 pages. With an adrenaline-charged writing style, Gariffo portrays a futuristic and disquieting version of the world. More than that, he brilliantly captivates the reader with the depiction of a world that could become a real possibility for us.

My favorite aspect of this book was the contemporary and crucial themes Gariffo brings up in the story. A mediocre and partisan government constantly on deadlock over the economy and social issues causes the fall of the United States. Blind faith in globalization makes corporations stronger than nation-states. National citizenship is obsolete. People are just consumers of supercorporations that take care of all of their needs. A registry collects all personal data. Those who dare to question this status quo get a visit from the likes of Agent Sliver. Unquestionably, all of these themes sound eerily familiar to problems the United States and other countries face today. Reminiscent of George Orwell's novel 1984, this is the kind of book that puts the reader to think for days about the future of our world.

I also greatly enjoyed the characters of this book. Agent Sliver's murderous and cold-blooded abilities, line of work, past, and mixed feelings give him an interesting complexity. The reader gets to question the validity of this allegedly better world through his experiences. Kelly represents a long-lost world in which people used to give meaning to life. Franklin and Rex give the reader a clear vision of the high-tech we might have in the future. The Shredders symbolize those who dare go against the status quo.

Without a doubt, I rate World, Incorporated: A Modern Dystopia by Tom Gariffo 4 out of 4 stars. I liked everything about this book. In addition, I only found some minor grammatical errors, meaning that it was professionally edited. Gariffo excelled at creating a futuristic world that could become a reality for us. The whole story could pretty well serve us as a warning. Note that Agent Sliver is an assassin. Even though the action scenes are not gruesome, I do not recommend this book to sensitive readers. This book is perfect for fans of science fiction, action thriller, and dystopian novels.

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The story happens in a world merely 40 years away. Is this the equality humanity is striving for? Everybody will just be a rat in the rat race. Am I glad I will most likely not be around by then!

Thanks for the insightful comments about this highly probable future, Yolimari!
florence faith
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by florence faith »

Exactly the book I want! Sci-fic and action! I can see that this is super thrilling and enjoyable to read! Thank you for your review!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I have been debating with myself on if I should read this book or not. I think you have just convinced me that I need to. Thanks for the great review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like just my type of story. I love a dystopian story and add complex characters to that, and I'm hooked! I'm glad that this one is so well done. I'm absolutely going to have to try it out. Thanks so much for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I guess what's happening around us these days is more and more reminiscent of Aldoux Huxley's or George Orwell's dystopian novels. I am glad this novel does not feature a typical protagonist. I'll be reading more to see if the author's style raises to my expectations of a book belonging to this genre. Thanks for an interesting review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like an exciting read. Thanks for the interesting review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This book paints a dismal look for the future. Let us pray and work hard to prevent such disasters. Thank you for a great review.
Aviatrix
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aviatrix »

Only 40 years away, yet a plausible potential outcome of current events. I will add this to my "Want to Read" list based on your review. Thanks!
Telo_2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-telo-2018.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Telo_2018 »

Thank you for this great review. You just convinced me to give time for this book.
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

Even this genre is not my preferred one, I would gladly read this book. Your review makes it such a worth book to read. I would like to be in the future...
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I am in the middle of reading this one and I would concur that this book is one to read. Thanks for your review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

A dystopian novel that deals with consumerism and has an assassin? I think I have to read this.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds super interesting. I'm looking forward to reading it. A modern dystopia explains it perfectly!
Thanks for the great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

A lot of dystopian reads always push the human race to the edge of the cliff. A fight for survival! Since this read is the focus of attention in the month of October we better buckle up the seat and keep moving. Thank you for your detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”