Official Review: Willoughby by Barbara Gibson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Willoughby by Barbara Gibson

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Willoughby" by Barbara Gibson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever experienced God’s calling on your life? Do you believe God has a specific destiny for you? These are a few of the questions author Barbara A. Gibson addresses in her inspirational fantasy Willoughby.

Though Willoughby grew up on a honeybee farm, and Wendy was raised in the Bronx, they feel an instant connection after they meet for the first time at the park. When their paths cross again at Beeler University, they soon realize that attending the same college is not the only thing they have in common. Both are close to their families who have mixed emotions about them going away to college instead of stepping into the family businesses. While Will and Wendy each have their own hopes and dreams, they agree they must first seek God’s destiny for their lives. What begins as a mutual attraction between the young couple becomes a spiritual journey that takes an unexpected twist as they answer God’s calling together.

In this relatively quick read, Gibson effectively conveys two of her passions: her Christian faith and the plight of the honeybee. From the crucial facts she shares about their decline, it’s obvious she’s done extensive research on bees. As an organic gardener who plants to attract pollinators, I appreciated her expertise. I was also captivated by her skillful use of imagery. As I read, I could almost smell the fragrance of flowers at Willoughby’s farm and hear the bees buzzing as they pollinated.

At the beginning of the story, Gibson creatively intertwines witty puns and symbolic references to the honeybee to emphasize the importance of God-given destiny and being true to yourself. Scriptures are often used to support these themes through the book. Regarding character development, I felt I was just getting to know Willoughby and Wendy, and a little about their families when the fantasy part of the plot was introduced. It caught me by surprise, and while I don’t want to reveal any spoilers, I will say I’ve never read anything quite like it! Unfortunately, as the fantasy continues, the characters become less relatable, and the writing style becomes confusing and hard to follow. The best way I can describe it is like reading a verbatim transcript of someone excitedly telling a story without editing any content. In addition, it feels rushed to come to a tidy conclusion, which results in too many unnecessary details. When multiple characters are given more than one name or nickname, it weakens the plot, and at times feels silly, which I don’t believe was the intention.

Though I didn’t find any grammatical errors, there are issues with the formatting for Kindle which resulted in framed blank spaces where illustrations should have been. Since the cover art was quite lovely, I found this disappointing.

Despite the issues with the fantasy storyline, I really enjoyed reading the facts about the honeybees, the beautiful imagery, and the sheer creativity of the plot, so I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to those interested in learning more about the plight of the honeybee and possible solutions. It will also appeal to fans of Christian fiction and fantasy.

Willoughby
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

An excellent review, as usual! I would never have thought that honeybees and Christian young people falling in love would have much of a connection, but obviously I am wrong. Maybe a re-write and a re-organisation of the book would improve it greatly as it is a shame the message is clouded by the issues you mentioned.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comment, Caylie.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This one sounds quite interesting. It sounds like the author combined quite a few things that I wouldn't think would go together. The Christian faith and the plight of the honeybee? I'm going to have to read this one just to see how she pulls that off! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 08:49 Wow! This one sounds quite interesting. It sounds like the author combined quite a few things that I wouldn't think would go together. The Christian faith and the plight of the honeybee? I'm going to have to read this one just to see how she pulls that off! Thanks.
It was definitely creative--hope you enjoy it!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book seems to be a very informative for Christians. Likening the honeybee to a Christians faith is very prolific. I think I'll read this one. Thanks for the insightful review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

T_stone wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 10:15 This book seems to be a very informative for Christians. Likening the honeybee to a Christians faith is very prolific. I think I'll read this one. Thanks for the insightful review.
Thanks for commenting. :tiphat:
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

i have always enjoyed Christian fiction and the fact that this is accompanied with the plight of honeybee makes it even more interesting. This is a must read for. thanks for the good review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

fredrick otieno wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 22:29 i have always enjoyed Christian fiction and the fact that this is accompanied with the plight of honeybee makes it even more interesting. This is a must read for. thanks for the good review.
Thank you, Fredrick. I appreciate your comment.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”