Official Review: The Knowing by Sarah Elmore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: The Knowing by Sarah Elmore

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Knowing" by Sarah Elmore.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Knowing by Sarah Elmore is a riveting mystery novel that takes readers on a thrilling and intense journey into the world of the supernatural. This gripping tale also explores themes of romance, corruption, betrayal, and murder.

To get away from her abusive stepfather’s drunken rage, six-year-old Sheridan would grab her doll, Becca, (which she considers her only true friend) and run into the forests of Lyle Mountain for safety. However, one fateful night, her place of refuge becomes a hellish nightmare when she comes face-to-face with death at the hands of an evil shadow. The vengeful murderous shadow’s aim is to shift the natural order of things by eliminating the young Sheridan because it has been foretold that she will be the one to unmask his true identity and evil deeds while saving the lives of millions. After being plagued by visions of the shadow’s intentions, Meredith races to stop the evil shadow so as to retain the natural alignment of prewritten paths. Even so, her actions result in consequences that cause dark days and deep-rooted affliction for others. Who is behind the evil shadow, and what fostered the wickedness within the monster? After being battered and broken, will Sheridan realise her strength and responsibility in fighting the evil shadow?

Sarah Elmore impressed me with her well-written debut novel. The intriguing storyline captured my interest and held my attention from start to finish. The book is divided into two parts: the first part is set in 1997, and the second part begins in 2013. The first part takes us through the dramatic set of events that forever change the families and children touched by them. In the second part, we meet the two leading characters we got to know during their childhood in the first part of the book (and whose lives are intertwined) as adults. The two characters embark on their own journeys to better understand and make peace with their tormented past. These journeys ultimately lead them to encounter ghosts from the past and an unsolved murder case.

The use of details and description are just enough to give readers a visual of the characters, their world’s events, and their emotions while still keeping the story moving forward. The set of well-rounded characters are both believable and fascinating; both the good and bad characters in this story have their flaws. At times, certain aspects of the characters personalities surprised me, but that is what gave them the unpredictability that is human nature. An example of this unpredictability is Derek, Meredith’s son, who seems like an all-around good guy but has angry outbursts when someone disagrees with him, despite that person having supported him for many years. He also seems to disregard others’ feelings, is quick to place blame, and sometimes reacts violently.

What I liked most was how the narrative was like a puzzle that got more complex as I tried to solve it; with each passing chapter, a layer of depth was added to the story. These unexpected plot twists and revelations blew my mind with their sheer brilliance and how well they all fit into the narrative. Additionally, I loved how at some point, I thought I knew who the murderer was, only to be left second-guessing myself towards the end. When the murderer was finally revealed, I was left thinking that there was no way I could have guessed it, yet it made so much sense.

It is my pleasure to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for all the points mentioned above and for its clever and page-turning plot. The novel appears to be professionally edited, and in all its pages I only found a handful of errors. I feel I should mention the story does contain swearing and graphic details of violence. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a beautifully written and well-crafted narrative. Also, fans of mystery and suspense novels that feature the paranormal will love this one.

The Knowing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
alan0803
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alan0803 »

It's a well crafted narrative and I sense horror on this one, my favourite.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Wow! Great review! I want to read this book. Thank you!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

This book certainly sounds excellent. I like that both the good and bad characters have flaws as this makes me more curious about them. Thank you for great review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Dollydave
Currently Reading: The Last City of America
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Dollydave »

Impressive review!
Seems pretty much like a Gothic thriller. Anyways, I'd love to read this book.
Kate S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-s.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Kate S »

Consider me intrigued! I LOVE a good mystery novel that lets you form your own theories. Your review makes this book sound like a lot of fun, so I'm going to write down the title and author, and look them up later.
funder
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by funder »

The book is a total mixture of human nature,that deal with the natural and supernatural.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I love the layers in the book that make the puzzle even more difficult to solve as it goes along. The cover screams supernatural to me, so the author did a great job with that. All in all, this is a very complementary review, and it makes me want to go get the book! Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

You really did a great job of conveying the suspense you felt while reading this book. Great review!
Penbreath09
Currently Reading: The Da Vinci Code
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Penbreath09 »

Nice book review!!!
:D
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

I've read this and it is phenomenal! I couldn't agree more with your excellent review, those thinking about giving it a try you won't be sorry you did! I just read it in 2 days! With a toddler no less lol
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 08:17 Wow! I love the layers in the book that make the puzzle even more difficult to solve as it goes along. The cover screams supernatural to me, so the author did a great job with that. All in all, this is a very complementary review, and it makes me want to go get the book! Thanks so much.
I was literally shocked this was a debut novel as when I read it it read like a seasoned author wrote it. I'd say it's a mixture of Dean Kootnz, Nora Roberts and Stephan King, seriously excellent is all I can say.
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

AmySmiles wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 15:28 Wow! Great review! I want to read this book. Thank you!
I loved it as I've already stated. I believe it appeals to all genre lovers, aside from non-fiction of course lol but seriously it was well worth buying the paperback which I rarely do these days. Do you prefer ebook or paperback?
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Ebook for me. I don't have storage for books.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

AmySmiles wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 14:13 Ebook for me. I don't have storage for books.
I bought the paperback after reading the sample but then saw the ebook version is only 8.69 worth every penny though for sure!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”