Official Review: A Light to the Ruined

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Official Review: A Light to the Ruined

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Light to the Ruined" by Kenneth Britton Jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is a fact that a kingdom divided against itself cannot stand. The members of the ruling family of the Vratigrand Kingdom have vested interests. This is causing an imminent threat to the stability of the family. Will it stand the test of time?

A Light to the Ruined was written by Kenneth Britton Jr. It is a book in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre. It is a gripping book. There are times when something is so good that one can hardly find the right words to describe it. This is what I can say about this book before I delve into its nitty-gritty.

For two hundred years, the Ruined has been desolate. The Ruined was once a peaceful and united land. War broke out and some clans began establishing kingdoms. The weaker clans were left moving from one place to another. King Roland, who was a chief, led an army in conquering one of the strongest kingdoms, Vratigrand. This war resulted in heavy losses for both sides. Eventually, the kingdom was conquered. King Roland declared himself king. The thought of that war arouses the hurtful past that has been haunting him. He is trying to eliminate everything that reminds him of that war. This led him to send his daughter, Princess Lyssa, to a war front. He thought that Lyssa would be killed. The wars that are erupting are being caused by the clans outside the kingdom who feel that they have been left out. They rally behind Chief Aden who promised them a share of the Vratigrand Kingdom once it had been conquered. To get more on this, you have to grab a copy of this book.

The style of writing in the book is very simple. The words used are easy to understand. I liked how the author was able to bring life into every sentence. There is a commendable use of imagery in the book too. The conversations are very lively and are centered on various topics. It is also good to note that the story is fascinating from the start to the end. The author is able to inject portions of the past of various characters in small bits. Therefore, the reader is not overwhelmed with a lot of historical information. Another interesting aspect is the use of the various characters to narrate the story. It enables the reader to understand the conflicts that are ongoing between them as one gets to read their views in their different chapters. By enabling every character to narrate the story in their own words also, the reader is able to read about different events happening at the same time in different places. The level of imagination is astounding. Despite being a fictional story, the characters are relatable. Their strengths and weaknesses are revealed by either themselves or other characters.

The book centers on various thematic areas. There is the issue of war, family, leadership wrangles, religion, revenge, and teamwork in this book. It is, therefore, very probable that every reader will have something to enjoy in this book. One thing that left me bemused was how love relationships were in the past. They were very pure and passionless. It was also very interesting to learn how different characters responded to and handled challenges.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is properly edited and there are no typos. The plot is also well developed. All the characters are brought in for a certain purpose. It was very good seeing how they developed and changed over time. This book can actually be adopted into a movie. I hope it will be one day. I recommend this book to every reader who enjoys reading fantasy books. The book will certainly be beneficial to anyone who is open-minded. It is able to challenge one’s motive for doing things and at the same time persuade anyone to ponder wisely before taking any step in life.

A Light to the Ruined
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kibetious's review? Post a comment saying so!
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Thanks for the great review. It sounds interesting to read about love and war in the same story. You are right, it will be more good to see the book turned into a movie one day.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I really enjoyed your review. This book sounds so interesting with the different power struggles. I would second the movie idea.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

You have described that in the story, there are times when something is so good that one can hardly find the right words to describe it. I love this in a book as it gives the reader much satisfaction. I hope to read this book in the future. The plot sounds intriguing too. Excellent review.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks a lot for the wonderful comments on my review. I am very grateful.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 06:44 Thanks for the great review. It sounds interesting to read about love and war in the same story. You are right, it will be more good to see the book turned into a movie one day.
You are much welcome. A lot of thanks for your comment too. It is a very nice story full of intrigues. It is one that you won't get bored reading it.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

melissy370 wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 12:53 I really enjoyed your review. This book sounds so interesting with the different power struggles. I would second the movie idea.
Thanks so much. It is very true that if this was adapted into a movie, I would be very happy watching it. It is very nice and full of action as well.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

crediblereading2 wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 11:02 You have described that in the story, there are times when something is so good that one can hardly find the right words to describe it. I love this in a book as it gives the reader much satisfaction. I hope to read this book in the future. The plot sounds intriguing too. Excellent review.
I'd say it is something that occurs once in a while when you simply cannot put together words o describe something because you may end up diluting its taste.
Thanks.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

The book sounds like an interesting piece. I am glad that the author does not focus on war alone, but includes other themes such as family and religion. I enjoyed reading your review. I will add the book to my to-read list for the future.
florence faith
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by florence faith »

I can see that you enjoyed the book. I might as well enjoy it. Thanks for your review!
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

florence faith wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 02:16 I can see that you enjoyed the book. I might as well enjoy it. Thanks for your review!
I am quite sure that you will. To me, it was a long book but I completed it because it was really interesting. I recommend it to you.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

The book itself does not interest me, but I appreciate your review, thank you!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

AmySmiles wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 14:33 The book itself does not interest me, but I appreciate your review, thank you!
Thanks for the reply, AmySmiles. I am grateful.
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”