Official Review: Lily's Awakening by Omni Delano

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Re: Official Review: Lily's Awakening by Omni Delano

Post by Bianka Walter »

teacherjh wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 20:31 I like magic stories, but lack of character depth and explicit sex scenes are a double whammy for me. Thanks for the info.
I would have stopped at the shallow characters. The other downers were just a bonus.
Thanks for commenting :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Kate S wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 00:44 I think the thing that grabbed me the most from your review is the small mountain town they live in and Luke's name. I have to ask, what country is this small mountain village in? Did Lily and her family move there? With names like Lily and Rain, the name "Luke" sort of jars me out of the narrative/premise a little. I think it's important for the names to match the geographical region, if that makes sense.

The random and sudden sex scenes you mentioned made me snort. I have this image in my head where these characters are running for their lives, and all of a sudden they stop to yell, "Everyone, drop your pants now!" And then proceed to do the deed. Talk about random! :D I don't mind sex in a novel either; I just usually prefer it to be a fade out scene where it's clear what's going to happen, but doesn't give explicit details. I also don't mind if there are a few lines in the next scene or chapter that describes if it was generally great or awkward. If there's going to be an explicit sex scene, I'd want it to be for a purpose, like you've said.

As always, great review! I'll trust your word on this one and skip it. It's always a pity when the world isn't fleshed out to its fullest. Especially when you realize that book is only the first one in its series, so the author had time to marathon, rather than sprint the story.
So, Luke was definitely the boring name. There was Star, Moon, Myst, Waterlily and so many more. You ask where it was that the story took place, and I have no idea. I can't tell you if it was another world, I can't tell you if it was Earth, I actually can't tell you a single thing, except that there was a mountain and an ocean/lake/body of water. This comes back to the lack of depth in the story.
You made me chuckle - "Everyone, drop your pants!" :lol2: I promise, that would have improved this story tenfold.

Kate your comments are always so amazing. I really enjoy reading them appreciate you taking the time to read my review. I also look forward to reading your next review, so get on that, please!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Yikes, it definitely doesn't sound as though you had a very good time reading this book. *pats sympathetically* It's one of my personal pet peeves when an author doesn't characterise well too, and with the plot being things just happening because the author wills them to, well...

Anyway, I enjoyed your review even if I don't think I'll enjoy the book! XD And I hope your next book turns out to be a better read :))
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Thanks so much! Yes, holding thumbs for a better one next time :)
Thanks for taking the time to read and comment - I really appreciate it!
- Dr. Seuss
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

At the beginning of your review, I was expecting this to be a book I would really enjoy, but the more I read the corners of my mouth dropped in disappointment. Such a shame, great idea but poor planning
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

trajoe1206 wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 20:02 Such a shame, great idea but poor planning
That's exactly it. The idea is so solid!
Thanks for commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss
florence faith
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by florence faith »

The whole story would be really great if the author didn't rushed it to finish. The story seems very interesting. I like stories like that and it hurts me if it didn't captivated the readers well. I believe the author can do better next time. And with your honest review will help the author to correct the book's flaws.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

florence faith wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 02:07 The whole story would be really great if the author didn't rushed it to finish. The story seems very interesting. I like stories like that and it hurts me if it didn't captivated the readers well. I believe the author can do better next time. And with your honest review will help the author to correct the book's flaws.
I think the author will be better too!
Thanks so much for the comments :)
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”