Official Review: 2079 by Donald P Robin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Re: Official Review: 2079 by Donald P Robin

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like an intriguing sci-if. I might check it out.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

teacherjh wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 13:44 This sounds like an intriguing sci-if. I might check it out.
Please do! It's quite a nice read. Thanks for commenting!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Count me in to learn a new language that quick! With something this interesting, I would have liked to see more subplots, but I might give this a read anyway. I'm always up for a quick read if it's good. I've been enjoying the thriller genre a little bit more and am always looking for something that looks good. Thanks for the review!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This sounds entertaining, although I'm apprehensive about the use of Iran as a backdrop for the story. Is Libator City supposed to be in the US?
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 19:29 Count me in to learn a new language that quick! With something this interesting, I would have liked to see more subplots, but I might give this a read anyway. I'm always up for a quick read if it's good. I've been enjoying the thriller genre a little bit more and am always looking for something that looks good. Thanks for the review!
I completely understand about the subplots. It would almost work really well for the young adult age because it was quite simplistic in that sense. It was still enjoyable. Just not very complicated. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 00:01 This sounds entertaining, although I'm apprehensive about the use of Iran as a backdrop for the story. Is Libator City supposed to be in the US?
No. If I remember correctly, it's somewhere in Modern Day Africa. Iran is used, yes, but it's not really in a horrible way. There are two sides in Iran. Those that want to kidnap the children and those that don't. So it's really the radicals in Iran that are behind the whole plot... Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I might check this book out. The only problem that I may have in this book is the fact that there are point-of-view switches. I often get really confused with this type of story-telling. Thanks for the great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

BriennaiJ wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 09:22 I might check this book out. The only problem that I may have in this book is the fact that there are point-of-view switches. I often get really confused with this type of story-telling. Thanks for the great review!
He makes it pretty clear, so I don't think it would be a problem. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Oh, I want to be able to learn languages at the drop of a hat. No, wait, I take that back. Part of the fun is the work it takes to learn. (I am a little sick that way. Learning! Yay!) But I would love to be able to retain and be fluent more easily. I am a bit hardcore when it comes to my sci-fi books, but I also don't mind quick reads. I call them brain candy. We all need them sometimes. I may have to read a sample and see if it pulls me in. Thanks for the review.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

You write such great reviews! I am haven't read that many thrillers but this one might go on my to-read list.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
BasilTanko
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by BasilTanko »

How amazing it will be,knowing one possessing an advanced brain. Even more interesting,is being sort after by some world teachnological big wits countries! A very great insight put out here.
A fantastic review put up here.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kat Berg wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 17:49 Oh, I want to be able to learn languages at the drop of a hat. No, wait, I take that back. Part of the fun is the work it takes to learn. (I am a little sick that way. Learning! Yay!) But I would love to be able to retain and be fluent more easily. I am a bit hardcore when it comes to my sci-fi books, but I also don't mind quick reads. I call them brain candy. We all need them sometimes. I may have to read a sample and see if it pulls me in. Thanks for the review.
Brain candy. I like that. Yes, sometimes it's nice to read something that you don't need to think hard about. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

stacie k wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 11:37 The fact that you want to seek out the first in the series speaks well of the book. The absence of graphic violence and sex scenes sounds refreshing to me! It sounds like great entertainment for a summer vacation. I'd like to check it out! Thanks for sharing your insights!
I totally agree with stacie k that the fact that you want to read the first is a huge recommendation in and of itself. Thanks for the review!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This sounds like a fascinating read, and the way you've written about it makes me really excited to put this book on my to-read list :D Thank you for your recommendation and the thorough critique--I really enjoyed reading your review! :)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

gen_g wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 03:27
stacie k wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 11:37 The fact that you want to seek out the first in the series speaks well of the book. The absence of graphic violence and sex scenes sounds refreshing to me! It sounds like great entertainment for a summer vacation. I'd like to check it out! Thanks for sharing your insights!
I totally agree with stacie k that the fact that you want to read the first is a huge recommendation in and of itself. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your comments!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”