Official Review: 2079 by Donald P Robin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: 2079 by Donald P Robin

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "2079" by Donald P Robin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year is 2079. The setting? Libator City. You have an enhanced brain. You are able to learn languages at the drop of a hat and know more combat techniques than a Navy Seal. You won't release your knowledge of how to make these enhancements to the world, but they are itching to get their hands on the information. So, Iran decides to kidnap your child along with 39 others in hopes of negotiating a trade.

Libator City will not tolerate bullying and does not negotiate with terrorists. They are determined to get these children back from Iran without giving away any enhancements. Will their superior knowledge and technology aid in their quest? Or will Iran kill the children and start a jihad against Libator?

Donald P. Robin was the professor of business ethics at Wake Forest University, and this is his second science fiction novel. 2079: A War for Brain Enhancement is the second novel about Libator. The first was appropriately titled Libator. There was a brief mentioning by one of the characters of some previous events, but they are not dwelt upon. It was also not integral to the plot of this book. Therefore, it is not necessary to have read the first book to enjoy this book as it stands alone beautifully.

The novel is in the third person point of view and follow various characters in the book. The character jumps are separated by chapter, however, and make it easy to follow the action. Stephanie and John Thompson are two we follow. They have been enhanced by Libator, and their son David is taken by Iran. We also get a glimpse into the enemy's reasoning by following a few members that are in the Guardian Council in Iran. All the characters seem interesting, but they could have been a bit more well-rounded. They seemed a bit flat, although it could be just that they were very focused on the task at hand.

As a science fiction novel, this would be good for those that aren't necessarily hard core fans because the science is not overwhelmingly detailed. There is just enough information to make the fiction more realistic. There is also more of an emphasis on the action and international thriller aspects of the novel than a more science fiction plot. That makes this book extremely versatile as far as audience. It is also not overly graphic in nature or in language. There are no explicitly graphic violent scenes and no sexual content.

However, I felt that the plot was a bit too simplistic. There was no weaving of subplots or side stories into the novel which gave it an overly simplified feel. That's not to say it wasn't enjoyable; I loved reading it. But, it does make for a quicker and more superficial read.

2079: A War for Brain Enhancement would be a great weekend trip or day at the beach read for anyone who enjoys action thrillers. Since it was a bit shallow, I give it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I'm pleased to say that the editing was fantastic as I found only 3 errors in the whole of the novel. As for me? I'm off to see about reading the first in the series, Libator.

View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The fact that you want to seek out the first in the series speaks well of the book. The absence of graphic violence and sex scenes sounds refreshing to me! It sounds like great entertainment for a summer vacation. I'd like to check it out! Thanks for sharing your insights!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Wow, wouldn't it be nice to learn languages so easily? It's a credit to the author that you're ready to read the prequel after reading this one. Thanks for a great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

stacie k wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 11:37 The fact that you want to seek out the first in the series speaks well of the book. The absence of graphic violence and sex scenes sounds refreshing to me! It sounds like great entertainment for a summer vacation. I'd like to check it out! Thanks for sharing your insights!
It really was a refreshing and enjoyable read. Yes, it lacked a bit of depth, but it was still a good read. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 11:44 Wow, wouldn't it be nice to learn languages so easily? It's a credit to the author that you're ready to read the prequel after reading this one. Thanks for a great review!
I would certainly love to be enhanced to just absorb a couple of languages fluently! Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Having an enhanced brain could be advantageous as well as disadvantageous depending on who has it. The story sounds intriguing. Great review.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

This sounds like a fun light beach-read that doesn't need a lot of brain at work. Sometimes these kinds of fluffier books have their uses to. When I actually go to the beach, I do take such books that I can read really fast. Thanks for a great review!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This is a cool premise for a book. I love the idea of enhanced brains to give you super skills.
I wonder if the author covered all the sciencey stuff in the first book, making this one less overwhelming? I suppose you will find out soon enough :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

crediblereading2 wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 20:13 Having an enhanced brain could be advantageous as well as disadvantageous depending on who has it. The story sounds intriguing. Great review.
That's exactly why they want to keep it out of certain people's hands. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kislany wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 00:18 This sounds like a fun light beach-read that doesn't need a lot of brain at work. Sometimes these kinds of fluffier books have their uses to. When I actually go to the beach, I do take such books that I can read really fast. Thanks for a great review!
Exactly! It was definitely an enjoyable read, and it has its uses. It just wasn't fantastic. Just nice.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bianka Walter wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 03:56 This is a cool premise for a book. I love the idea of enhanced brains to give you super skills.
I wonder if the author covered all the sciencey stuff in the first book, making this one less overwhelming? I suppose you will find out soon enough :)
That's a good question. It's possible. Thanks for the comment!
—Neil Gaiman
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

What I wouldn't give for an advanced brain! It's too bad the science fiction portion wasn't very advanced, but I'm also a fan of thrillers, so I might give this one a try anyway. Great review!
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Another insightful review! The fact that you are now interested in reading the first series installment is high praise for this book. Although the plot is simplistic, I'm glad you still enjoyed the book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 10:45 What I wouldn't give for an advanced brain! It's too bad the science fiction portion wasn't very advanced, but I'm also a fan of thrillers, so I might give this one a try anyway. Great review!
If you like thrillers, then you'd probably like this one. It was a good read. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

bookowlie wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 11:40 Another insightful review! The fact that you are now interested in reading the first series installment is high praise for this book. Although the plot is simplistic, I'm glad you still enjoyed the book.
There was just enough eluded to in this book about the first book to have me intrigued. The author did beautifully that way. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”