Official Review: When I Opened My Eyes by K P Trout

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: When I Opened My Eyes by K P Trout

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When I Opened My Eyes" by K P Trout.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I Opened My Eyes: The Dwovian Encounter by K.P. Trout is a captivating science fiction novel that takes readers on a fast-paced adventure that reveals unexpected but fascinating scientific discoveries, as well as an alien invasion and its influence on humanity.

While researching the genetic foundation for sleep, Dr Leslie McCabe makes groundbreaking discoveries about why we sleep. Before going public with a discovery that would undoubtedly impact the world, she reaches out to her astrophysicist ex-boyfriend, Cheppard Duplay, to double-check her findings. Meanwhile, aliens from a planet called Dwovy are hard at work on planet Earth. Believing that the solution to their kind’s potential extinction lies in humans, they carry out their various missions in different households. Unfortunately, during one of their missions, things go terribly wrong. Two of the aliens are discovered by Neil Reese and his pregnant wife, which results in a deadly struggle. The extraterrestrials’ claim they are only interested in solving their planet’s problem, but will the ends justify the means? Can they be trusted, or do they have hidden agendas? When the rest of the world finds out about their presence and activities on earth, will they be considered friends or foes?

After reading this novel, I couldn’t help but search for the next book in the series. I really enjoyed the storyline, and the ending left me wanting more. This book works as a standalone, but there are new dimensions to the story added towards the end that should be explored. Additionally, I appreciated the author’s writing style; the choice to shift focus between different characters’ experiences interchangeably made the narrative even more interesting and helped build suspense.

The author did a great job building the characters’ world and characterisation and vividly depicting the unfolding events. I liked feeling as though I were there witnessing the events and experiencing the excitement, anxiety, and scares alongside the characters. The main characters were well-defined, likeable, and believable. However, there were times when I thought some of the characters acted a bit naïve and divulged too much information too quickly in situations where I thought they would be more apprehensive and cautious. Nevertheless, my favourite human character was Cheppard because of his sense of humour, his consideration for others, and his love for his cat, Pumpkin. On the spacecraft, my favourite was Opie because he had the most interesting personality while still being the most sincere and forthcoming.

Even though the novel appears to be professionally edited, I did a find a number of noticeable errors, such as missing prepositions as well as mix-ups of ‘week’ and ‘weak’, ‘I’ and ‘It’, and so on. Additionally, there was a scene where a character’s name was mixed up with another, which was a little distracting. This novel could use another round of editing.

Overall, the setting, unforgettable events, and memorable characters worked well in weaving an intriguing and compelling narrative. Taking everything into consideration, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would definitely recommend this novel to anyone looking for a good read and those who don’t mind elements of romance and Christian faith in their science fiction novels.

When I Opened My Eyes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This storyline sounds really captivating, with interesting characters. Thanks for a great review!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Trusting aliens should be very challenging. Only with extended time trust is developed. Thank you for an insightful review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love sci-fi. This sounds like a good one.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Sounds interesting i'm looking forward to reading it.
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

This sounds like it really has a number of levels. I love in-depth plots! Thank you for the review.
misatifelix
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misatifelix.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by misatifelix »

Alien invasion is something new to me. Science fiction is well cultivated in this book and I just cant wait to read it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Alien invasions, Christian faith, and scientific discoveries? I'm not sure how I can turn that down. I'm really interested to see what the discovery is that you talk about. Off to look for the book. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
JLockWood
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JLockWood »

very entertaining and captative title, itll draw you in, sci-fit books are the best books to read due to the intriguing nature .
Ubah199
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ubah199 »

Am never a science freak but i love making discovery thanks for recommending this book
Penbreath09
Currently Reading: The Da Vinci Code
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Penbreath09 »

I love the allegorical presentation of the influence of knowledge in the review of this book. Dr. Leslie is an allegory, representing inquisitiveness, no wonder her project hopes to save the world. The book, from its title, encourages the acquisition of knowledge and understanding as this opens the eye to the arcane. I'd love to read the book and I love your review. Its concise and interpretative as I hope the book will be. :techie-reference:
florence faith
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by florence faith »

Seems like an enjoyable book to read! Sci-fi thrills me especially with this kind of unique plot and likeable characters plus a spice of romance is something that I would love to read. Thanks for your review!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Will the aliens be viewed as friend or foe? I love that. I've never figured out why alien has such a negative connotation. If they want to attack then they will. If they come to Earth acting peaceful, they may just be. Give them a chance! Nice review. Sounds interesting. The idea of aliens fascinates me but they always seem to be a little too human to be realistic (always speaking English!) or they are characterized as being green, slim, and big-headed.
Crainbow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crainbow.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Crainbow »

Romance + Christian faith + Sci-fi quite an interesting combo I'd say. The plot reminds me of a movie series I started watching some time ago but was unable to finish. So, I think reading this book would be a good consolation. Thanks for your review.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

This story sounds like it offers a very hypothetical take on what would happen if humans met extraterrestrials in modern day society. It is not hard to imagine that many humans would react with fear, distrust, and even hostility towards extraterrestrials given the tense economic and political climate many have lived through. Although this is a science fiction book, I think it offers an interesting perspective on human society when considering how we would react if we met real extraterrestrials. Thanks for the review!
:character-ariel:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”