Official Review: Behind the Staircase by Christopher Eagan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Official Review: Behind the Staircase by Christopher Eagan

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Behind the Staircase" by Christopher Eagan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Behind the Staircase by Christopher Eagan is a collection of four short stories. They are all suspenseful thrillers with a supernatural element.

The book starts with School Days Once Again. It is the story of several young boys that seem to be acting strangely. They all live in the same apartment building. One parent starts to notice that her son isn’t acting like a normal young boy. She starts to snoop into his life and finds some unexplained activity on his iPad, including a destructive plan scheduled for Halloween night. She soon gets the other parents involved and eventually gets help from the church. Will they stop the kids in time?

The second story is Crescent Hills. This one starts out with a father promising to build a dollhouse for his daughter. Once it’s built, the family mysteriously goes missing. The only thing left behind is a dollhouse that is an exact replica of the home. It is filled with furnishings that match what the family had before they “left.” We follow the dollhouse to several other families. Each family goes missing in turn. The dollhouse transforms, inside and out, to match its new location. What’s happening to all these people?

The next story is Soul Painter. We follow two members of the CIA. After installing some new equipment, they’re able to pick out never-before-seen details from video recordings of past events, including the assassination of JFK. They’re surprised to find a painter at several different catastrophes. Their investigation leads them to a Native American reservation where they take peyote in a tepee in hopes of a revelation about the mysterious painter. The peyote works and they head on their way to a castle. Will they find the painter? Can they stop him?

The final story is I Got Your Number. It’s the story of a stockbroker down on his luck and going through a divorce. He’s forced to go on vacation. While away, he dreams of a beautiful place and a beautiful woman named Elizabeth. He tries to give her his phone number but wakes up before he has the chance. While driving around on his vacation, he recognized the place he was with the woman. A stray bit of paper flies to him on the wind, and he realizes it’s the paper he had started writing his phone number on. He dreams of her again and again, but the park he’s dreaming of is starting to disappear. Will he be able to give her his number, so they can meet in real life?

I found the ideas behind these stories intriguing since I love the supernatural. They’re all unique concepts. I especially liked the idea of the dollhouse. The synopsis of each story had me wondering the cause of each situation. Will we learn where the boys come from? Will we find out why the dollhouse is taking people? Is there a way to stop the Soul Painter? What’s so special about the park? The problem is, most of these questions weren’t answered throughout the stories. In the beginning of Crescent Hills, we see why and how the dollhouse was originally built. There seems no reason for it to become supernatural. I thought we would get some answers when it was brought into the crime lab by a cop during one of the investigations. Even then, we didn’t learn anything new. Normally, I have no problem with unanswered questions in a supernatural suspense story, but there was so much information in these stories, it was annoying not to get any actual answers.

My largest problem with these ”short stories” was how unnecessarily long they were. When reading a short story, you expect all characters and situations to be significant. These stories contained so much extra information it was annoying to sift through. For example, after the dollhouse claimed its first family, we get introduced to a new set of characters. One could argue that we needed these characters to establish the pattern, but we learned so much about them just so they could also disappear. We follow the dollhouse’s progression in great detail, meeting new characters along the way. It was tedious to read about all these people that weren’t actually important to the storyline. Yes, they found the dollhouse. Yes, they disappeared. Did we really have to read about what they had for dinner when it happened? The author was very creative in coming up with all of these scenarios, but I just found myself bored reading through them all.

Unfortunately, this work was not edited very well. Mistakes in spelling and grammar litter this entire piece. They become more frequent the farther in you read. The author’s biography talks about how ideas “were coming out in thought quicker then he could type them out.” While I was glad to hear that the words were flowing so easily for him, I wish he would have spent some time polishing up his work afterward. Punctuation was one of the largest problems. There were quote marks in strange places, periods and commas directly next to each other, and a few mix-ups with periods and question marks. All the stories were written in the present-tense, but they frequently slipped into the past-tense. I often had to stop to reread a section because of this.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I allowed a point for the author’s creative ideas. I took away points for editing and because I found myself so bored reading through the middle of these stories. Those interested in supernatural suspense and thrillers would enjoy this collection most. I wouldn’t read these to young children as a bedtime story, but there wasn’t anything exceptionally graphic in any of the stories. I think these stories would be more enjoyable if they were trimmed and edited.

Behind the Staircase
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bb587's review? Post a comment saying so!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Seems like a good read for those who like supernatural stories. But as you observed, they may be too much unnecessary details so I guess I may not be reading it at all. Thanks for a wonderful review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The four stories have brilliant suspenseful plots that could all be a script for movies. I can see myself reading this book in the future. Lovely review.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I love the second story, it sounds good.. I might jut get to read it, I am not really deterred by errors. But I believe they should be worked upon!!

Beautiful review here...
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sifting through extra information in lengthy short stories doesn't appeal to me! However, I do appreciate your honest review.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

As a fan of supernatural suspense and thrillers, the synopsis of the short stories sounded really interesting. However, it is unappealing for the stories to not conclude in a satisfactory manner. Not all questions surrounding the phenomenon has to be answered, but tidbits of important information should be given here and there to keep the suspense and reader's interest. Regardless, thank you for the review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

It's a shame that there are so many grammatical errors, but this still sounds like quite an intriguing quartet, even if they are a little lengthy and include too much info. I'm especially interested in the doll house story... Thanks for the review!
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Its seems like the author fell into the conundrum of having too many ideas but was unfortunately constrained by the nature of short stories. I am especially interested in reading the second story as it sounds very exciting.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

The dollhouse story and the man trying to give his phone number sounded really interesting. I am so disappointed to see the concepts of the stories are the only thing worth giving this book more than a 1-star rating. If this book gets polished, I would be quite interested. Until then, it sounds like a drag. Great review.
olawalejoshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by olawalejoshua »

the kind of book is a book of future no matter what grammatical may i still love the book oh oh
donchris2018
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by donchris2018 »

The four stories have brilliant suspenseful plots that could all be a script for movies. I can see myself reading this book in the future. Lovely review
misatifelix
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misatifelix.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by misatifelix »

Reading a supernatural story is a good way to unwind.Though the fiction I cannot wait to read this book.
Kate S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-s.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Kate S »

Whenever I read unnecessarily long supernatural suspense stories, I get flashbacks to Lovecraft and Beyond the Mountains of Madness. That story was so dry during the first half. So. Very. Dry. Short stories need to be trimmed down. On the Tell and Show scale, short stories tend to lean more on the Tell side. All of the short stories sound interesting, especially the dollhouse, but from what you're describing, it sounds more like it's the dollhouse's story rather than the families' stories - kind of like those stories where people personify objects, if that makes sense. Also, while reading the summaries for each story, I can't help but think the CIA one doesn't really fit in the collection. The other ones have a familial thread through them.

Anyway, thanks for the review. I don't think I'll be reading this one though it sounded promising.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”