Official Review: The Alien Stranger by Bobby Dee Ticer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: The Alien Stranger by Bobby Dee Ticer

Post by nikkyteewhy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Alien Stranger" by Bobby Dee Ticer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Alien Stranger by Bobby Dee Ticer is a thought-provoking science fiction tale. I enjoy a good science fiction story, so its premise interested me. A mysterious man rescues a girl from a rape attack; he then hacks into her bank account and deposits billions of dollars into her account. It turns out the money was stolen from criminals who would stop at nothing to reclaim their money. Together with three of her classmates at the university and most surprisingly, her would-be rapist, they decide to use her new-found wealth to solve the world’s problem. I better start from the beginning.

Kayla Chalet was in the psychology and sociology class taught by Professor Overly at the University of Oregon. Her father died when she was younger, and her mother had cancer. Kayla and her mother both worked as waitresses at a local restaurant. She befriended three of her classmates; Bard, a football player who had a crush on her, John, the science genius, and Wanda, an economics expert. On her way home from school, Kayla was attacked by a homeless guy who wanted to rape her, but a stranger saved her. The stranger told her not to call the cops because he was “not a citizen of here” and didn't want to get deported. She accepted her mother’s advice and reported the case to the police who suspected the motive of the stranger. Things got complicated when the mysterious man started communicating with her through her thoughts. He afterward transferred millions of dollars into her bank account and told her to use the money to improve the world's condition. What is the stranger’s motive? Will Kayla and her friends really use her new-found wealth to make the world a better place or were they just pawns controlled by a secret society?

The story is a narration told from the third-person point of view. The plot is unusual and absolutely fascinating. It is about a group of young people who suddenly possessed the financial means to place an end to the problems on earth. They realized the complications that might arise with the solutions to global warming. Problems like overpopulation and war. The author seems to have a vast knowledge of physics, geology, and politics.

There were many grammatical and spelling errors in this book. There were run-on sentences and omitted letters. There were long, and boring dialogues explaining physics, geometry, economics, and politics, talking about Newton’s law, explaining momentum, and technology facts. I felt like I was reading a physics textbook at a point. The four friends only participating in the class discussions are a Hollywood stereotype. The dialogues felt forced and the plot was unrealistic. I mean, how often do you befriend your would-be rapist and who was also homeless and entrust him with millions of dollars? Furthermore, I felt there was a friction between her and Wanda that was not fully addressed. Kayla was constantly talking about taking control of her life which later became an annoying dialogue.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The writing style is straightforward and easy to read. The ending seemed so sudden and rushed. The grammatical and spelling errors were very distracting. I recommend this book for hardcore science fiction genre lovers. I do not recommend this book to those who do not like this genre.

The Alien Stranger
View: on Bookshelves

Like nikkyteewhy's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookierme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by bookierme »

I'm conflicted: on the one hand I really want to know why this guy deposited such a huge amount of money into a stranger's bank account (also, how did manage to get her bank details??). On the other hand, spelling and grammatical errors in a book is off-putting and, as you said, very distracting. If I can get past the latter, perhaps I might read this book. Well done on the review!
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

A rushed ending :( That's awful. For me, that would destroy my opinion on the entire book. Based on your review, the characters also do not sound credible. Thanks for the heads up, I wouldn't even attempt this one.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

It is such a pity that the ending is so rushed because the plot is so intriguing. Thank you for your amazing review as usual.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Thanks for the honest recommendation because though I don't usually choose this genre, my interest was piqued by your interesting review.
nikkyteewhy

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Cecilia_L wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 20:04 Thanks for the honest recommendation because though I don't usually choose this genre, my interest was piqued by your interesting review.
You are welcome. :D :D :D
nikkyteewhy

Post by nikkyteewhy »

crediblereading2 wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 19:02 It is such a pity that the ending is so rushed because the plot is so intriguing. Thank you for your amazing review as usual.
you are welcome, thanks for the compliments.
nikkyteewhy

Post by nikkyteewhy »

bookierme wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 01:57 I'm conflicted: on the one hand I really want to know why this guy deposited such a huge amount of money into a stranger's bank account (also, how did manage to get her bank details??). On the other hand, spelling and grammatical errors in a book is off-putting and, as you said, very distracting. If I can get past the latter, perhaps I might read this book. Well done on the review!
You would find out when you read this. I wish I could tell you but I would spoil it for you. If you can look past the errors u might enjoy it. Thank you for your compliments.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”