Official Review: Xenophobia by Peter Cawdron

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: Xenophobia by Peter Cawdron

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Xenophobia" by Peter Cawdron.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When aliens initiate first contact, Doctor Elisabeth Bower is stuck in Malawi, trying to protect her staff and patients from the rebel militia. Abandoned by the US military, her hope comes in the form of Sergeant Jameson and his eccentric rangers. With the rebel militia on one side, the mothership floating above, and the rangers behind her, Dr. Liz sets out in search of safety.

Xenophobia plays out two major storylines. We have the civil war in Malawi and First Contact with the rest of the world. Stuck with only a failing radio, the snippets of what is happening in the rest of the world heightens the suspense to such a degree that I read this book in one go. The action builds up slowly, but it fits perfectly with the story.

What I loved most about this book was the underlying message. I love a good book, but a book that tells a great story while dealing with real-world issues – that is a book that changes your life. Xenophobia achieves that. The underlying message and commentary throughout the book on our judgement of people that are different, and what it means to understand diverse cultures and species, all hit very close to home.

The writer also uses two opposites to advance the story forward. We have the healer, Liz, and the military man, Elvis. Both have opposing views on the sanctity of life and how to deal with first contact. While Liz wants to initiate contact, Elvis wants to go on the offense and strike. And yet, these two characters function as accurate representations on the two primary types of people in the world if first contact was to happen. I loved that the author did it this way and that their reactions are very human. There are tears and anger and hatred – from all sides, connecting everyone as one whole.

This was my first hard science fiction read (hard science fiction is based on scientific accuracy) and I enjoyed it immensely. The descriptions were beautiful, and the author also adds a few illustrations of the mothership, floaters, and Stella. The author also based the alien biology on the human neurosphere.

Xenophobia is written in the present tense, which was slightly awkward at first but straightens out and lends to the suspense of the read. There were only two missed commas with the rest of the book filled with impeccable writing and awesome descriptions, especially on battle scenes between the rangers and the militia. The battles are brutal, no one is safe and the mental effects of seeing someone killed in front of you is not ignored. The only thing that I didn’t like was the banter. There were a couple of times that it felt forced and pretentious. There are also a few scenes of graphic violence and some swearing.

I rate Xenophobia 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to those looking for an unpredictable, hard sci-fi read full of suspense and commentary on xenophobia, as well as humanity’s fear of that which we don’t understand. The author did a great job of depicting characters that any reader will love and relate to. Humanity needs to understand each other before we can ever dream of understanding those in our ever-expanding universe.
If we cannot learn to actually enjoy those small differences between our kind, here on this planet, then we do not deserve to go out into space and meet the diversity that is almost certainly out there.
- Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek. (also quoted in Xenophobia)
Xenophobia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
bookierme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by bookierme »

This sounds amazing. I particularly like the fact that one of the settings is Malawi, an Africa country. It is quite fitting given the recent xenophobic attacks in South Africa. I am keen to read this book. Great review!
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

bookierme wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 01:45 This sounds amazing. I particularly like the fact that one of the settings is Malawi, an Africa country. It is quite fitting given the recent xenophobic attacks in South Africa. I am keen to read this book. Great review!
I'm South African so this hit really close to home. It's got such a great message and I think you will love it.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I also like books which deal with real life issues. I think I should give it a try. Thanks for this nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review! It's great when an author can really get you into a genre that you don't generally read. Your review makes this one look really interesting. Thanks.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like an intriguing read - I'm always up for fiction books which discuss deep issues. For some reason, I am reminded of Neill Blomkamp's District 9, which had somewhat similar settings and it was a movie I really enjoyed! Going to put this on the to-read list now. Thanks for the amazing review as always!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Wow, your review is awesome! This sounds like a great book. I especially loved that quote you put in at the end :)
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Sounds like an intriguing read, especially in regards to the arrival of the mothership and its impact on the civil war. This is the first time that I am reading about the term hard science fiction, so thank you for the education as well as the review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 08:20 I also like books which deal with real life issues. I think I should give it a try. Thanks for this nice review.
Thank you for the comment and I hope you like it!
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

kdstrack wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 09:02 Great review! It's great when an author can really get you into a genre that you don't generally read. Your review makes this one look really interesting. Thanks.
I'm much more into fantasy and the whimsical side of reading, but this was really a great read.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

gen_g wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 09:52 This seems like an intriguing read - I'm always up for fiction books which discuss deep issues. For some reason, I am reminded of Neill Blomkamp's District 9, which had somewhat similar settings and it was a movie I really enjoyed! Going to put this on the to-read list now. Thanks for the amazing review as always!
Awww, you're making me blush :oops: :lol: Thank you for the comment and I feel like this is a mix between District 9 and Arrival, both movies that I loved so I am super happy that you will be giving this one a chance.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 10:07 Wow, your review is awesome! This sounds like a great book. I especially loved that quote you put in at the end :)
The whole book follows the theme of understanding and accepting different people and cultures etc. It's got such a great message.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

daydreaming reader wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 11:02 Sounds like an intriguing read, especially in regards to the arrival of the mothership and its impact on the civil war. This is the first time that I am reading about the term hard science fiction, so thank you for the education as well as the review.
It was a learning curve for me as well, don't worry. :lol: I did a whole bunch of research and this subgenre has really caught my attention. I hope it gets a bit more appreciation.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This book sounds great. I thought about picking it but like you say, it hits a little too close to home :) This is a great review - I really enjoyed it, thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

A beautiful book here, like you said it has dealt with a very pressing need that humanity needs to tackle. Xenophobia had taken its toll in South Africa, and my brothers over there have become victims...

Thanks for this beautiful Exposition...

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”