Review by mgosselin137 -- Fish Wielder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mgosselin137
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgosselin137.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Review by mgosselin137 -- Fish Wielder

Post by mgosselin137 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fish Wielder" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison is fantasy and comedy that pokes fun at the stereotypes and clichés of the fantasy genre. The protagonist, Thoral Mighty Fist or Teddy, is a ruggedly handsome barbarian who struggles with recall, but more than makes up for it with his overwhelming strength, stamina, and bravery.

In addition to his physical prowess, Thoral is a very caring man. On his journey he saves many who Brad, his fish sidekick, would have let parish and mourns deeply for those he could not save. Thoral traverses the land of Grome with his sidekick and loyal steed having epic and occasionally gruesome fights against evil and repeatedly saving a damsel in distress all the while fighting his own inner demons.

Thoral’s story is filled with intense combat, near death experiences, bouts of drinking, puddings of immense power, romance, and magic with a little bit of dimension jumping thrown in for good measure. Fish Wielder is an engaging mix of adventure, mystery, tragedy, and of course the comedy. It is a parody of such epic proportions that it will take three books to tell it all. It is a light hearted and engaging story that knows how to laugh at itself. Do not let the stereotypes or Thoral’s less than average intellect fool you though; Fish Wielder is a clever and creative novel that is a great read for the right audience.

This novel is a spoof on the stereotypes of the fantasy genre. For this reason, the book will likely be more enjoyable to people who are familiar enough with the genre to understand the jokes and references to texts like The Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Wizard of Oz. Without understanding the characters and stereotypes the story is based off of, I feel as though the story would come across as over the top ridiculous and be difficult to truly enjoy.

This is a novel filled with humor designed for lovers of fiction who do not take themselves too seriously. Overall I found the book enjoyable and easy to read. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. For the right reader, I think this novel could easily become a favorite. I think the exaggerated nature of the novel could be off putting for some readers. It is important to understand what this book is before embarking on the pudding filled adventure.

Fish Wielder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like mgosselin137's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”