Official Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The King of May" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Scholar, Ashley, Cattleprod, and others are back for the next installment of Matthew Tysz’s post-apocalyptic world entitled The King of May. If you haven’t read the first in the series, The Turn, I’ll wait here for you to finish. At the very least, you can check out my review of Tysz’s first book here (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49830). All caught up? Good, here we go.

The King of May starts off fairly soon after the completion of The Turn. Ashley and Scholar have made a significant name for themselves and Cattleprod reigns in Interstate. Although we are still in the first book’s post-apocalyptic world, we go leaps and bounds further into the lives of those carving out an existence after The Turn. In this book, we are introduced to a broad swath of new characters, given a considerably better idea of how the world works, and are thrown head over heels into violent conflict. We find out early on that the instigator of The Turn designed the subsequent world to have some very powerful people in charge. These people were given immortality, secret weaknesses, and now bear the title of being gods. Their grudges between themselves, their thirst for power, and their incessant abuse of the power they were given, however, were things they developed all by themselves. By picking up this book you accept to carry on following the journey of Ashley and Scholar as they make their way through this sorry excuse for a world. They make deals with gods, intermingle themselves in the personal vendettas of these immortals, collide with enemies from the previous book, and try to make the post Turn world a better place.

Much of the criticism that I had from the first book dissolves immediately when reading the second one. The pace of this book was much quicker, excitement and action were all over the place, and the many plots of gods and mortals kept the reader intrigued. In The King of May, we really begin to get a view into the motives of the characters and therefore how intertwined all the players really are. I loved following our two main protagonists, Ashley and Scholar, as they interact with mortals and gods alike. I love the status they have created for themselves and how no one, immortal or otherwise, is safe when they tangle with them. What I liked the most about this book is how it has slightly transitioned from a purely post-apocalyptic work to one that spans a variety of genres including fantasy, dark fantasy, thriller adventure, and magical realism.

There were a couple of minor things that I didn’t like about this book. One thing that may present a problem for some people (it isn’t that big of a deal for me as I’m invested in the story) is the fact that you really do need to read the first in the series to understand much of the action happening in the second. Since the two books are fairly different, they may have diverse audiences who enjoy them. Very similarly, and what I disliked the most, is that the readers are thrown right into the story without much of a reminder of what happened at the end of the previous book. I found myself looking back to the previous installment to find out where the main characters were when the The Turn concluded just so I could understand the main characters’ motives.

The more and more I think about this book, the more and more I realize how much I enjoyed it. I enjoy post-apocalyptic stories and this one delivered extremely well. I love books that bring immortal beings with real-life flaws to the storyline and The King of May undoubtedly includes these. Finally, I love novels that bring some violence, action, and intrigue to the mix, and our current tale definitely succeeds here as well. For the reasons above, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I fully recommend this one to those who have read the first book, those that enjoy post-apocalyptic fiction, and for those that want to go on a journey with both mortals and gods. If you aren’t a fan of books that delve into some mature themes (sexual content, violence, etc.), then maybe this one isn’t for you. I have been made aware that this book is the second installment of, what intends to be, a five-book series. I can see the many different directions that this series can go, based on how The King of May ended and am therefore eagerly awaiting the third book to see where this tale ushers us.

The King of May
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

It sounds like you have a real connection with the main characters, Ashley and Scholar, which is a credit to the author's character development. Post-apocalyptic fantasy series seem to be quite popular, so I'm sure this book will appeal to many, but it's not for me. Thank you for your interesting review!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

It is rare that the second book in a series is better than the first. Very cool that you got to review both of them. This sounds like a series I may wait to read for a while since there are five books planned.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I've read The Last City of America by the same author. I didn't like it much since I felt the author needed to improve his writing. I disliked it so much that I decided not to read books by him but, your review has changed my mind. This one seems like a book I could read. I guess it's time for a second chance. Thanks for your review.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I read your review on the first book and I'm glad to see that this book is better than the first. I started this book without reading the first one. So, I can agree with you about wanting to read it before starting the second. Thanks for the insightful review.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I read this and disagree strongly, for how truly powerful this story could have been it was extremely light.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Maelo1
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maelo1.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by Maelo1 »

Awesome review can't help it liking Scholar and Ashley considering the fact that they are mortals considered heroes for going against the immortals. It is a page turner.
Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest.
:roll: Rob White :roll:
Elena rojas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Elena rojas »

The King of May

Although there are a few parts that I struggled to understand due to faint lack of explanation, the book in and of itself is very captivating and interesting. The writer is excellent in portraying certain scenes throughout the book without making the details too long and tedious.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I've read this book and I enjoyed it a lot, although I didn't like the comment the author directed towards Africa, I still gave it a 4 out of 4 stars due to the well-constructed plot and awesome storyline.
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! I read the book and I'm in love with the story's main antagonist, The King of May.
redknitcapgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redknitcapgirl.html
Latest Review: The ultimate love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by redknitcapgirl »

I just finished this earlier. Ashley is growing on me. I didn't like him at all at first, to be honest. He seemed like a real jerk. But this installment made me like him. He's showing his vulnerable side and I like how he and Scholar compliment each other. I also agree that this is a lot easier to read than the first one. The Turn seemed very disjointed.

The Hales are the most interesting part of the novels. I want to know what Nadia's true motives are and I also wouldn't mind reading more about Ella and Braden's dynamic. The siblings seem to be getting bigger roles with each installment.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”