Official Review: The Status Update by Sonia J. Buck

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Status Update by Sonia J. Buck

Post by kfwilson6 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Status Update" by Sonia J. Buck.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There will always be those words spoken, paths chosen, or mistakes made we wish we could change or undo. We have many reasons for harboring the desire for the opportunity to have something from the past done differently. In some ways, the inability to change our pasts is a blessing and a curse. We are not privy to the consequences that could result from any change to our pasts. We probably don’t even consider that there would be consequences beyond the desired result. On the flip side, the inability to change the past means we don’t get the desired shift we wish we could attain. Christine Reed in The Status Update has the unique opportunity to face this double-edged sword; she has the chance to save herself a great deal of emotional and physical pain, but if she succeeds in changing the past she won’t be able to predict if there will be a butterfly effect.

Sonia J. Buck writes the tale of a heartbroken Christine Reed who has spent the past decade suffering both physically and emotionally. Christine is still trying to cope with the aftermath of a family tragedy that took place ten years ago. One lonely night, surrounded by the remnants of what used to be a happy life with her three children, Christine pulls up a long-forgotten Facebook page. On her page, there appears to be a hacker. The hacker turns out to be Christine herself from ten years prior, before the family tragedy occurred. Christine can now tell her past self about the tragedy in an attempt to avoid it. Will she choose to do so with the realization that she doesn’t know the true outcome that will result from shifting the events of the past? Could she even convince her former self to follow any advice she might give?

The family tragedy that Christine is so anxious to undo unfolds early in the story, and Buck writes the event with great emotional depth. Her description of the tragedy brought tears to my eyes. It was easy to imagine how any woman would be desperate to change what happens in Christine’s life. I was impressed by how well Buck was able to draw me into Christine’s life; she made me feel Christine’s emotional pain.

Buck was also able to connect me with Christine by thoroughly describing the love Christine has for her children. I could feel the depth of Christine’s love for her kids on every page, especially in the description of how touched she is by a Christmas gift her oldest two children, twins, give her. Christine is a model for how all parents should feel about their children. Her love jumps off the page continuously throughout the whole story and never falters.

The Status Update is a wonderful story about the importance of family. It also provides the warning that actions have consequences, and we can rarely predict what those consequences will be. The only thing I did not enjoy about this story is that the conversation between the two Christines is shared from the perspectives of both, the present Christine and the past Christine. By doing this, Buck has pages that are verbatim copies of previous pages. The overlap in text is brief, and it does serve a purpose. It is beneficial to the reader to understand the thoughts of both Christines during the conversation. However, I think some readers would find the repetition dull, as I did.

Aside from the short period of repeated conversation, the only flaw I found with The Status Update is the ending. I was startled by the way Buck chose to end the novel, and I was not astonished in a good way. I wish I had stopped reading before I reached the final page. I understand there is a lesson to be learned from how Buck chose to end the story, but the conclusion was a disappointment for this particular reader.

The Status Update is worthy of 3 out of 4 stars. I cannot fault Buck for the way she chose to end the story because I understand her purpose, and it is just my personal preference for Buck to have chosen to conclude her book in a different way. What I can fault her for are the number of errors in such a short book, less than 120 pages. More than once Buck confuses custom and costume as well as credulous and credible. A few other minor errors were noted including missing commas, incorrect word tenses, and a missing pronoun. If I were able, I would only remove half a star for the errors because I don’t think any of my other complaints are sufficient to justify lowering the rating, and the errors themselves did not detract from my enjoyment of this story. Overall, this is a great book for adults who enjoy reading about the depths of a mother’s love and what a woman will do for her family. I advise that anyone who may have a hard time reading about the nature of the tragedy not read this novel. I wish I could provide a more specific warning, but that would give away details any reader should experience for himself by reading Buck’s emotionally charged description of the event.

The Status Update
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kfwilson6's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This is an interesting concept for a book. It’s like time travel without actually traveling through time. Like a parallel universe? In any case, it sounds very emotional. The tragedy and the undesirable ending have me concerned.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I love time travel; books that brings our attention to the possibility of dwelling in two time zones captivates my attention, as you said, there is nothing that doesn't have an advantage that doesn't have a disadvantage....

I would like to read this book despite the plausible dulling moment..
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I love this premise. Honestly, I think someone faced with a solution to such a tragedy wouldn't think twice if they had the chance to correct it. Butterfly effect be damned.
Thanks for the awesome review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Dahmy 10 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:07 I love time travel; books that brings our attention to the possibility of dwelling in two time zones captivates my attention, as you said, there is nothing that doesn't have an advantage that doesn't have a disadvantage....

I would like to read this book despite the plausible dulling moment..
You could easily read this in one sitting. The dull moment will pass quickly. Thank you for commenting.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:20 I love this premise. Honestly, I think someone faced with a solution to such a tragedy wouldn't think twice if they had the chance to correct it. Butterfly effect be damned.
Thanks for the awesome review!
Absolutely right. I'm sure there is a movie, if not multiple movies, about someone changing the past only to be faced with the consequences, then changing the past again in an attempt to correct it a second time.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

stacie k wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 01:18 This is an interesting concept for a book. It’s like time travel without actually traveling through time. Like a parallel universe? In any case, it sounds very emotional. The tragedy and the undesirable ending have me concerned.
This book broke my heart at least twice.

I closed the book "as much as you can close an ebook" and just kind of graped at my kindle when I got to the end. If you like a surprise ending, I'll day I was quite surprised.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This seems like such an interesting twist on the time travel/turn-back-time trope! It's also so different that the author's chosen to use Facebook as the medium for the main bulk of the time travelling, I think it's pretty unconventional and definitely intriguing. :D

Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review--I'm rather tempted to pick up the book myself now, it's just a shame about the editing errors!
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 11:32 This seems like such an interesting twist on the time travel/turn-back-time trope! It's also so different that the author's chosen to use Facebook as the medium for the main bulk of the time travelling, I think it's pretty unconventional and definitely intriguing. :D

Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review--I'm rather tempted to pick up the book myself now, it's just a shame about the editing errors!
The errors aren't too distracting and the story was different than anything else I've read before. It's a quick read if you need a book for the beach or airplane. Thanks for commenting :)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Your descriptive review has really piqued my interest in a genre that doesn't typically appeal to me. I'm slightly torn about the ending because I really dislike becoming involved in a story only to feel completely dissatisfied with the ending! I appreciate the forewarning.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 22:44 Your descriptive review has really piqued my interest in a genre that doesn't typically appeal to me. I'm slightly torn about the ending because I really dislike becoming involved in a story only to feel completely dissatisfied with the ending! I appreciate the forewarning.
I really want to warn more specifically about why the ending bothered me but it would give too much away. It's an interesting book. It really makes you think about the consequences of the decisions you make in life, especially since you can never account for all of the outcomes. No one could live that way anyway. Thank you so much for commenting!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Sounds like a thought-provoking and interesting read. Great review!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review! It’s an interesting concept to be able somehow interact with an earlier self. I would have hated the repeated section as well.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

The whole time I was reading your review I could hear a Native American Chief, and personal friend of mine, whispering words of advice that he shares repeatedly, "Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it."

The things we think we should change, if only we had the chance. I have thought about it. Mentally following possible outcomes. Not all of them would be better, some are even scary.

I'm tempted to read the book, but hesitant because of your warning. I'll have to think about it. I'm going to put it on my Want to Read shelf. It's easier to remove it, than to try and find it later should I decide to chance the painful, emotional response it may trigger.

Thank you for your insightful review. 💕

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”