Review by bclayton13 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Review by bclayton13 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by bclayton13 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway by Alex Fayman is a fascinating novel following the exploits of Alex Fine, an L.A. orphan who realizes he possesses some remarkable abilities. With these abilities, Alex changes the course of his own life and finds out much about himself along the way. I was hooked on this book from the beginning; from the first chapter I wanted to know anything and everything about Alex Fine. Who was he? Where did he come from? In order to find that out, the reader has to go on an incredible journey.

The main character himself, Alex, is of above-average intelligence and stands out in the orphanage he was raised in. Despite this, he's still an eighteen-year-old and, when he discovers his powers, makes many questionable decisions. He's a fantastic character, with multiple layers of complexity. Even more, he's completely believable; like an eighteen-year-old would, Alex doesn't always use his abilities responsibly or make responsible choices. As the story progresses, we watch him lose his innocence and it affects us just as much as it does him. While he struggles to come to terms with his powers and his feelings for the girl of his dreams, we realize - he's just a kid.

The scientific explanation given behind Alex's abilities is also surprisingly believable. Without obsessing over it and digging deeply, it wasn't hard for me to suspend my disbelief and accept how his powers came to be. The book is written well enough and with just enough research behind it that the science fiction aspects of the novel seemed anything but ridiculous. As Alex explores his powers, we want to see what else he can do. We want more, and so does Alex.

This 'more' aspect proves to be Alex's undoing. He often jumps without realizing the potential consequences of his actions - as an eighteen-year-old would. Through this, we watch the world he's created for himself come crumbling down as he realizes that his abilities can hurt others just as much as they can help them. It's a very tragic, and very real, fall from grace. The book ends on a cliffhanger, and I know I'm dying to read about what happens next.

Superhighway is certainly a page-turner, and a worthwhile read. Fayman is a master at reeling the reader in, and it worked on me. The first book of the trilogy, it makes the next two books look promising indeed. I did find a few errors, but not enough for me to complain. All in all, I rate Superhighway by Alex Fayman 4 out of 4 stars.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like bclayton13's review? Post a comment saying so!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

"While he struggles to come to terms with his powers and his feelings for the girl of his dreams, we realize - he's just a kid."

I think a lot of us forget that he's only eighteen and that his actions or of someone that feels very alone. It's actually so sad. And I love that you mentioned how the power seems believable because it really does! It sounds so crazy when I say it out loud but in the book, it sounds amazing. Great review!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This sounds like an incredible read--something I'd definitely pick up if I was in the mood for a YA sci-fi! Alex seems like a very well-developed character from your description, and that's hard to pass up; I find that very few authors can accurately capture the tumultuous emotions of an eighteen-year-old, so this is definitely going to be refreshing :) Thank you for your critique--I like your writing style, and I enjoyed reading your review :D
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the amazing review - I've read many reviews of Superhighway, and yours makes me want to pick it up. Alex seems like our average 18-year-old boy, so it is only natural that he might not be as mature as we would like him to be. Afterall, we all had our moments!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I just finished reading and reviewing this one too, and I almost feel like we read different books. While I liked the idea of elctroportation, I thought Alex was one of the worst examples of a hero ever. He's a self-absorbed, arrogant jerk who doesn't seem to be learning from his mistakes at all. Yes, he's a teenager. But we're supposed to believe he has above-average intelligence. And I suspect most idiots would change their ways immediately after being kidnapped by gangsters and watching a girl get shot right in front of you. But, it's interesting to read reviews from someone with a totally different perspective.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”