Official Review: Of Zots and Xoodles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zarqnon the Embarrassed, author of Of Zots and Xoodles, defines the story as a “stylistic blend of Lewis Carrol, Dr. Seuss, and Douglas Adams.” This is a very fitting description.

Of Zots and Xoodles follows Theodil in a place outside of place and a time outside of time as he grapples with dots (zots) and noodles (xoodles) to forge such things as time and matter. Told through entrancing descriptions of Theodil’s experimentation and the shouts of congregated unbelievers, this book breaks down the creation of the universe into something understandable by the masses.

This book is short, but it packs a punch. I read it in one sitting and was drawn into the flowing language. Zarqnon (the author’s pen name, chosen specifically for his own personal amusement) uses rhyme, alliteration, personification, and many other literary devices to create a narrative bursting with poetic phrase. There were times I felt as if I were flying through the universe—or before the universe, as it were. Other times, I stood still upon the precipice of something great, only to have the moment be twisted away in a rearranging of xoodles. It was quite a unique experience.

Of the three authors Zarqnon sites in his description of the book, I saw the most of Seuss. Such fun phrases were employed, especially by the congregation, in reaction to Theodil’s actions. One in particular that stood out to me was “Could we not, should we not, have time bound in a knot? The past, the future already laid out and neither the past forgot, nor the future an anxious blot, never destined by stain or spot?” This one shot me right back to childhood and reading Green Eggs and Ham— “I do not like them, Sam I Am.” If I had to add another style to this book, it would be that of an ancient Greek play. The back-and-forth between Theodil’s actions and the congregation is reminiscent of the chorus and hypocrites. Both culturally and scientifically, Of Zots and Xoodles brings much to the table.

While the language is gorgeous and flows beautifully, it could also be seen as the book’s biggest downfall. There were some points where I had to reread passages because the meaning got lost in so many words. Some rather lengthy sentences also made meanings unclear. For the most part, I was able to coast along on the words, getting caught up in the imagery while still understanding the concepts being introduced. Unfortunately, the instances of getting lost happened just enough times that I found it a bit distracting. Those who aren’t well-versed in thinking scientifically may also struggle with the heavy ideas here, even if they are relayed through zots and xoodles.

I rate Of Zots and Xoodles 3 out of 4 stars. The somewhat confusing writing/structure coupled with a smattering of errors keep me from giving this book the 4 stars I think it otherwise deserves. This is a short book, but it is so full of ideas. It’s the kind of thing that can inspire big-picture questions. Why are we here? How did we get here? Why do things work the way they do? Readers who are open to exploration and being challenged would enjoy this book. I would also recommend this to fans of science fiction, who don’t mind some poetry with their science. As I said before, those who struggle to think scientifically may find this difficult. Even so, give it a try. It surprised me. It might surprise you, too.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

It such a shame about the errors and the confusion. Sounds like a wildly imaginative read that I would love checking out. Thank you for the great review!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm unsure of this book. The quotes that you have were lovely and did reminds me of Dr. Seuss. But you mention other passages being less understandable. Plus with the big picture ideas, I'm afraid this one would be lost on me. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciated your review. You always do so well.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kinesis+Hlye
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kinesis+Hlye »

Thanks for the interesting review, but the quote about tying time in a knot reminds me of looking at a painting made by throwing a lot of paint. The problem is that though interesting, nothing is explained. If the book is much of that, I will pass.
Kmdehn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmdehn.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Kmdehn »

I'm a huge fan of the styles of these similar childhood authors and this review has me excited to check out this book. It really sounds like something I would enjoy. Thank you for your review.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Too bad about the mistakes but the author surely doesn’t seem to lack in imagination. It sounds like this book might be a good fit for young readers as well? Or am I wrong?
Berry :wine:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I thoroughly enjoyed this review, so much so that I read it aloud to my husband. I love the whole premise of this book and your review - especially the excerpt you quoted - has me all eager to read it. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the lovely review! It is such a pity that the story is not well-structured; otherwise, the premise did seem interesting!
Ericharm
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericharm.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ericharm »

Unfortunate for the distraction and getting dragged down in parts of the Book. I do love science fiction but this, i think i would be lost. I love it that you still enjoyed it.

Such a wonderful review still.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I have kept thinking about reviewing this book, but I wasn't sure about the descriptions given. It just didn't seem to clearly explain the book, but your review has done that. Thank you for your review and making it more appealing!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I find it interesting that one of his styles of writing is like Dr. Seuss. You did a great job of reviewing this book, which sounds quite confusing.
This book is short, but it packs a punch. I read it in one sitting and was drawn into the flowing language. Zarqnon (the author’s pen name, chosen specifically for his own personal amusement) uses rhyme, alliteration, personification, and many other literary devices to create a narrative bursting with poetic phrase. There were times I felt as if I were flying through the universe—or before the universe, as it were. Other times, I stood still upon the precipice of something great, only to have the moment be twisted away in a rearranging of xoodles. It was quite a unique experience.
You also mentioned that it challenged the reader to think. I am glad that you could make some sense out of it.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Great review! I ended up giving it a 4 out of 4 myself. I didn't find any errors in it though, so I'm wondering if I got a re-edited version. The part where you say you got confused in.. I agree, however, rather than the fact that I had to read some things multiple times putting me off, I enjoyed it greatly. I found that I have to do the same with Douglas Adams books, who's writing and thinking style I felt played a big part in the author's inspiration.

I absolutely agree that the Dr. Suess-ness of the book left me reminiscent of my childhood books, which made the little book all the more endearing to me!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A blend of Lewis Carrol, Dr. Seuss and Douglas Adams? Sounds good. The idea of creating a new universe by using Zots and Xoodles sounds original. Using fun phrases is a nice touch. Too bad about the unclear passages. Hopefully, those errors editing were fixed by now. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Laura_Sumstad
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Laura_Sumstad »

I never would have noticed that the author took inspiration from Dr. Seuss and Carroll without it being pointed out, but now that you have I can't unsee it and I think the author did a really good job. Thanks for the review.
hmorgan90
Currently Reading: Hollow City
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmorgan90.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by hmorgan90 »

I am not sure about this book. Somethings pull me towards reading it and others seem to push me away. I think I will add this book to my maybe pile.
May we show increased kindness toward one another. ~Thomas S. Monson
:animals-frog:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”