Official Review: Celeste (The Dark Queen, #1)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Official Review: Celeste (The Dark Queen, #1)

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Celeste (The Dark Queen, #1)" by Samantha Eklund.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Celeste by Samantha Eklund is a fantasy novel set in a fantasy world. The battle between light and dark, good and evil, love and hate, wages on in this tale of survival, betrayal, and love.

Celeste is the queen of Vehrys. Kiev is her husband and the son of the vile queen in the neighboring kingdom. Celeste has never questioned Kiev’s love, until he stabs her at her 26th birthday party. He’s vying for power, but could he be doing it alone? Celeste finds herself trapped in no-man’s land between the two kingdoms after her capture and escape. The world has plunged into darkness and all she wants to do is return to her people so that she can help bring back the light. Decomposing beasts roam everywhere killing at will and filling the world with their evil presence. She can’t find her way back home but has discovered a way to fight the creatures that stalk her. Soon, her childhood friend, Scythe, finds her and endeavors to help her return and fight the evil settling in within her country’s walls. He’s always loved her. Could this be his chance to finally have that love returned?

Gohrkrull is the god of darkness. Excaliah is the god of light. Gohrkrull can only be present in the lands of mortals if he’s been summoned freely by a soul of pure evil. Celeste can’t imagine that Kiev has a soul of pure evil and she’s just never realized it before, but who else could have summoned him? Excaliah does all that he can to aid his champion of light and her companions, but there is only so much a god can do.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. There were so many dynamic and unique characters that we got to see develop throughout the book. No one remained untouched by the catastrophe. Celeste started out as a strong female lead but even she grew into a better person, though with plenty of scars. Scythe was a realistic character with easily relatable emotions. Celeste’s friend and general, Mauve, was also an impressive character. Her religious devotion, military ferocity, and unerring motherly love were all things I absolutely loved about her. Her stubbornness was portrayed perfectly, making her extremely lifelike. Several scenes started from one person’s point of view but switched midway to someone else’s. This way, we got to see how others were reacting and perceiving situations. I feel the author did this well by ending the previous section, creating a break in the text, and starting a new section.

Most of the story is action packed, but parts throughout the book moved extremely slowly. Celeste is trapped in the barren land between the two countries for several months. At first, I didn’t like that nothing seemed to be happening during this time. Once I made it through this section, I realized a lot had happened that could not have been accomplished believably overnight. Celeste needed to develop her skills and get acclimated with her newfound powers. Vehrys needed to be overrun by monsters and conquerors. Kiev’s mind had to slip farther and farther under Gohrkrull’s control. None of these things could have happened instantly without the reader questioning the timeline's validity.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of editing mistakes throughout the book. Extra words, missing words, and misspelled words riddled the text, repeatedly breaking the flow. Because of this, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I wish I could have rated this higher but the mistakes were too often to ignore. I highly recommend this book to lovers of fantasy novels, especially if you enjoy character development and love-triangles. I could also recommend this to young adults since there is no explicit material included.

Celeste (The Dark Queen, #1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bb587's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

This sounds like a great fantasy novel. It’s a shame that it needs more editing, though. I’m always disappointed when a good book doesn’t get the editing it deserves.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I hope that the author is considering a second version to polish all the typos, because this sounds like a brilliant dark fantasy novel and I would read it and recommend it to my niece!
Berry :wine:
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

OOOOh. Getting stabbed on her 26th birthday and a man named Scythe? Sign me up. I hope this gets edited better because it sounds wonderful if only it weren't for those typos.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

What a fascinating book with a good review. We can learn alot from this book particularly about the timeline validity where "Celeste needed to develop her skills and get acclimated with her newfound powers..." because life is marathon not short cut. Thank you for sharing this with us.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

It's been a long long time since I've seen a fantasy novel I'm interested in, but this one sounds really intriguing. It's a shame about the grammatical errors interrupting the flow, though!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

If I'm sufficiently engaged in the characters, I can definitely handle slower moving parts. It sounds like the characters in this one are nicely developed and unique. I am definitely going to have to check this one out. Thanks so much for your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LMLL
Favorite Book: Fabulous Finn
Currently Reading: Then We Sailed Away
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmll.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by LMLL »

What a shame about the poor editing letting it down. A cracking review. :tiphat:
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Wow, stabbed by her husband. Sounds like this book has some serious power plays going on. I am glad it does not have any explicit scenes either which is a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the review.
anova77
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anova77 »

The book sounds interesting. I don't mind checking it out even with the typos and other error since it doesn't interrupt the free flow of the message and its understanding. Well, it won't be a bad idea if it's re-edited for it to be a world standard piece.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

nice review about the fantasy book which goes with battle between good and evil and thought the content was o.k but editing mistakes eaten its score
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
mariacarolinea
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariacarolinea.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mariacarolinea »

This sounds like such a great novel, one you just can't drop it and have to read it till the end. I'm very intrigued with how layered and powerful Celeste seems. Unfortunately, it's very sad to see there are so many mistakes, that can be really discouraging. Thank you for the detailed review!
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I'm always in the mood for fantasy novels that deal with royalty, and especially if there are strong female characters involved. It sounds like if the editing and pacing was worked out, it would have a lot of potential to be a great book.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Sounds great. I like that the main character is a strong female even after everything that has happened to her. The love triangle gives it a nice twist and I hope that she can find love again and save her people. This is a book that I would defiantly read.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for such a lovely review! I'm a sucker for rounded characters, especially strong females. I'm definitely putting this on my to-read list!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”