The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LarissaRunamuck
Favorite Book: A Wizard of Earthsea
Currently Reading: Kicking & Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larissarunamuck.html
Latest Review: Darkness in Malaga by Paul S Bradley

The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang

Post by LarissaRunamuck »

The Poppy War by Rebecca Kuang, is shockingly only the beginning to this adult fantasy soon-to-be trilogy.

Rin, an incredible determined young girl, passes the most difficult test in the Empire and is sent to an elite military school. She escapes servitude and unwanted marriage only to find herself facing racism and prejudice, a seemingly insane teacher, and a dangerous new gift to explore.

Impending war looms over the students' heads as they train for a battle of unknown proportions. Rin hopes to save her people with her new Shamanic powers but fears the vengeful god who gives her access to this power could leave her without her humanity.

This is an intense book that alludes to true events in Chinese history in a fictional fantasy setting. The story is incredibly emotional and incorporates many topics that can be difficult to approach such as violent rape, torture, and massacres.

If readers find the heavy content will not obstruct, they may still find it worthwhile to read and even rewarding for it's carefully spoken truths. The ending left me feeling much the same as I did after reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Though that one is Science Fiction, both stories reach the pit of your stomach and make you question the morality behind the use of great power.

As the author says about her reason for writing it: "silence hurts so much worse."

I recommend this book and give it 3 out of 4 stars. I can't wait to see where the rest of the series will lead, at which point I hope to raise my rating to 4 stars overall.
Last edited by Gravy on 19 Jun 2018, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited out 'official review'
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I recently read this book, too and I really enjoyed the action. I think I preferred the first half of the story when she was training, but the second half was more grating for me, just because there was an onslaught of new characters, and I kept losing my navigation of them. (Plus, I think the descriptions of the violence went a little overboard for me--especially when talking about what all happened at the brothel.) I'm sure the next books will be really epic as well.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”