Official Review: The Brotherhood of Merlin: Book Two by Rory D Nelson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Re: Official Review: The Brotherhood of Merlin: Book Two by Rory D Nelson

Post by jaliper »

I havent read the first book. But I will still try this one. It sounds a wonderful read with characters that are complex and not one dimensional. Really enjoyed your review! Thanks!
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

As a fan of science fiction and book series, I was already interested in reading Rory Nelson's "The Brotherhood of Merlin;" and based on your review, the novel sounds very engaging! I am also happy to hear that this second book in the series was able to standalone as a entertaining and easy-to-understand story.
Read_review2018
Favorite Book: The Ragged Edge of Night
Currently Reading: Something Happened Today
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-read-review2018.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Read_review2018 »

The Brotherhood of Merlin: Book 2 Lycenea, by Rory D. Nelson, gathers from traditions around the glove to create an exciting journey based on the possible personage of Merlin. If there was really a Merlin, he lived during the time of King Arthur and his knights of the Round Table. However, in this story he lives several centuries later, only referring to King Arthur as the model king, and endeavoring to preserve the code of knights from that previous legacy.

The main protagonist is a young boy named Dante, left an orphan by the violent murders of his mother and sister, and abandonment by his father. He is rescued and brought to live in Lycenea where Merlin and his knights reside. He wants very much to avenge himself on those who killed his family, and thus, wants to become a knight. Even though he is left blind by an injury to his brain, he can sense objects surrounding him very well. Merlin happens to also be blind from birth and able to function far above his peers when it comes to fighting and wisdom. Merlin leads the community in every way. He is also an excellent doctor and implements miraculous healing.

Well-known ancient names are given to the other main characters, lending an historical flavor to the dialogue. There is a Herod Antipaz, who is as wicked as the one in the Bible. A girl named Sylvia was also rescued with Dante and finds healing with the help of Merlin. More military names from Roman times include Atticus, Germanicus, Ithicus, Felinius, Maximus and Cassius. The election of kings from among the best warriors, who must be knights in this story, is an ancient Viking tradition, practiced in this imaginary world.

Of course, there are the beautiful women, both a wicked one and a pure and godly one. They have influence on the progress of this adventure, each in her own way.

The use of martial arts, for English and European groups during that time in history, is a surprise. I think the traditions of Kung Fu, etc., are from the Far East. Most stories of knights involve the use of crossbows, lances, swords, shields, and heavy body armor which would be a hindrance to martial arts. However, all the effective moves involved in the training of these young boys does make for real excitement, as we see their competitiveness develop.

Lycenea is an imaginary part of the world, probably around the Mediterranean Sea. Descriptions include deserts, mountains, snow, swamps, and forests. There is a battle in each area with much prowess and skill shown by both sides. The young boys, endeavoring to finish the knight's school, experience real challenges and life-threatening situations, both at school and out in the wilderness. All of the many battles are very descriptive of the gore caused by each of their deadly attacks on their enemies. The school boys have wonderful support from wolves assigned to accompany each of them everywhere, wolves completely loyal and loving.

The antagonist is one of the accepted leaders of the community whose goal is to take over as king, by any means possible. The story line follows this ambition and affects all the other characters.

I give The Brotherhood of Merlin: Book 2 Lycenea, a 3 out of 4 stars because there were very many errors in word usage, grammar, and misplaced, or missing, quote marks. It was often difficult to ascertain who was speaking. However, I recommend this story for all martial arts fans, who don't mind descriptive gore.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”