Official Review: The Brotherhood of Merlin: Book Two by Rory D Nelson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: The Brotherhood of Merlin: Book Two by Rory D Nelson

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Brotherhood of Merlin: Book Two" by Rory D Nelson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Brotherhood of Merlin, by Rory D. Nelson, is about good and evil. Dante, a boy, was attacked along with his family by messengers of the Falcon. Fortunately, Merlin and the other knights of the Brotherhood saved him. Sadly, a blow to his head has rendered him blind. Now, Merlin, who is a powerful knight with preternatural abilities, sees Dante as a special kid. Hence, he ensures Dante gets admitted to the school that births knights, and unknown to him, Herod Antipaz, a councilman, is the Falcon. Herod is a traitor scheming to eliminate the Brotherhood and topple the king of Gilleon. Dante's sightlessness does not affect him in any way, and he is extremely intelligent. Will he pass the crucial tests to become a knight, especially with the presence of his tormentor, Maximus, who is a fellow recruit?

Being the second novel in a series, this narrative stands alone. Even though you've not read the first book, you can easily follow the plot. I'm not a fan of science fiction and fantasy books, and oftentimes, I steer clear of them because I find it difficult to understand a lot of them. However, I chose to read this particular one because it's been a while since I read a sci-fi story, and I was glad I did. Written in archaic and modern English, this narration is easy to read and comprehensible. It's suspenseful, gripping, and full of twists. You just can't guess what's next, and I enjoyed reading every chapter.

The tale has diverse characters. For example, there are humans, the Orachai (massive creatures with humanlike expressions), and beautiful wolves, who are companions of the knights and recruits. The author provided sufficient details about all the personae, who are plucky, realistic, and relatable. Also, most of them are greedy, arrogant, and evil. My favorite characters are Merlin and Dante. Both of them are blind but gritty heroes. They are powerful and benevolent. The worst character is Felinius, a vicious man, but my heart warmed toward him after, for the first time, he did an honorable act at the end of the book.

This fast-paced narration consists of many scenes revealing bloodbaths, and it's not a read for the fainthearted. Featuring fistfights and gun battles, it's fascinating and engaging. It ended satisfactorily, and having a solid plot, there's a lot to be revealed in the next novel. In addition, a few acts of magic are included, and there is a mention of a rape victim. Serious injuries were inflicted on teenagers during training and by messengers of the villain. I see that's for the furtherance of the tale.

Finally, the text was professionally edited since I noticed a few grammatical and typographical errors, such as "Addams' apple" and "our common enemy is our there." The narration is coherent, alluring, entertaining, and full of action. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars, and it'll be a special treat for fans of science fiction and fantasy novels.

The Brotherhood of Merlin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This sounds like a wonderful read with characters that are complex and not one dimensional. Really enjoyed your review!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound like a very interesting fantasy. I'm not sure I'd pick that cover, but that's just me. I'll have to keep this in mind when I'm hankering for a book like this. Thanks for the lovely information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercymax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Mercymax »

Wow!!!here is another interesting novel to read.Just the review and you already have an imagination of the events. I would rate it 4 out of 4.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Like kandscreeley, I'm not too sure about the cover either. However, it's great that the book did not disappoint. It has a great premise, as well as rounded characters - the 2 things I like the best. Thanks for the review!
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I like the new take on Merlin, certainly. And I'm glad this book can be read without having read the first one; there'a nothing like picking up a book only to find that it's part of a series and incomprehensible without having read the others.
Tyson Noah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tyson Noah »

This book was insightful how someone see the gift and abilities and be able to help nurture and take care of him.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

I like that is twistful and you can't guess what comes next; that means it is a book that keeps you entertained.
osayuwamen6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osayuwamen6.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by osayuwamen6 »

Great review! This series book with a fictional art story its engaging I would like to know more about it.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

I was drawn by the mention of Merlin and was surprised to read that the book was not about Merlin as he is typically known. I'm intrigued by this twist. Great review
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A fantasy revolving around Merlin and the knights of the Brotherhood sounds intriguing. It is good that the book stands on its own despite being the second novel in a series. The Orachai and the wolves sound interesting. Solid plot, satisfactory ending, and action should make it a good read. That the book was was professionally edited is another bonus. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

This book looks interesting, with it being written in a mix of archaic and modern English. I am rooting for Dante and his family!
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

Thanks for the review - this definitely sounds like a book for me, but I wonder if I would be able to understand the old English. It is good to hear that it stands alone despite being the second in the series.
Antares14
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Antares14 »

At first,the title got me intrigued,turned out it wasn't the typical story of Merlin we all know..I wasn't disappointed though,the twists kept me going,guessing what comes next..overall,I'd say it'a an entertaining piece.I like it.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

A story that involves Merlin sounds nice. I hope the author focuses on Merlin. Seems like these two protagonists lives are entwine together. Let's see what faith have in store for them. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”