Official Review: The Kingdom of Thieves

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: The Kingdom of Thieves

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Kingdom of Thieves" by Mitchell Edward Bell.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Kingdom of Thieves introduces the Kingdom of Ellish, a land ruled by the corrupt and greedy Magi who work their people to the bone. The magi king, King Levethin, outlawed steel and with it, weapons. Defenseless, the people of Ellish suffer under the tyrannical rule of the magi. Iceksgard, a northman on a quest to find his daughter, is caught up by a mysterious fae woman, Tage. Tage is on a mission to find Patticus Mysticus and guide him to his destiny. Meanwhile, Patticus Mysticus is part of a band of thieves that steal from the magi. While he does seek riches, his greatest wish is for freedom. A freedom that will be buried under the constraints of a crown.

Let’s start with what I like about The Kingdom of Thieves. I enjoyed the world the author built. It was unique and held a kind of magic that few fantasy writers can bring forth in their writing. Fae are also one of my favourite mystical beings. They have a moral ambiguity that always makes for an exciting read. Iceskgard and Tage have a great chemistry, and Iceskgard’s protectiveness over the ‘little fairy’ is adorable. Even though I found myself calling Pat a bit of a brat, I empathized with his need for freedom. The fast-pace is also something new that few in the fantasy genre have done.

However, the fast-pace left out details that I wish had been there. Fantasy is a difficult genre because you must teach your reader about a whole new world. I wouldn’t have minded reading a few extra pages if it meant I got to learn more about the world of Ol'world.

I also felt like the story was forcing its ‘greatness'. Not every scene or piece of dialogue needs to be profound and wise. Sometimes readers connect more with characters when they do normal human things, like talking about something nonsensical. There was no build up or discernible climax and the end of the book left much to be desired. A pet peeve of mine is when a character is made a leader for no other reason than destiny. I’m not going to root for the guy that is special just because he’s special. For me, Pat fell into that category.

The Kingdom of Thieves had many typos and there were a lot of run-on sentences. I found myself thinking that two different people had written the book. Every so often the writing was great, and I felt myself getting sucked into the story, but then the writing would stumble. It just made for an abrupt, awkward read.

I rate The Kingdom of Thieves 2 out of 4 stars. Although Pat was a bit of a brat and the writing wasn't great, I would like to read more about the world of Ol’world that Mitchell Edward Bell has introduced. This is the debut of the author. My hope is that with stricter editing and more character development the story will become clearer and reach its fullest potential.

The Kingdom of Thieves
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

When it comes to a fantasy read, the author needs to have a good flow, and make sure that he does not stray from his work. It does not matter how many pages the book is as long as it is effective, I agree on that. Too bad about the errors, just kills a good book. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 23:49 When it comes to a fantasy read, the author needs to have a good flow, and make sure that he does not stray from his work. It does not matter how many pages the book is as long as it is effective, I agree on that. Too bad about the errors, just kills a good book. Thank you for your review!
There really does need to be a good flow. Each fantasy book has a different feel (I hope that makes sense :lol: ) and if it doesn't have that, it just falls flat. Thank you for commenting!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, I love your comment ’I’m not going to root for the guy that is special just because he’s special’. :lol:
It sounds like it could be a good book if the author spent a bit more time on it.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Helen_Combe wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 03:51 Great review, I love your comment ’I’m not going to root for the guy that is special just because he’s special’. :lol:
It sounds like it could be a good book if the author spent a bit more time on it.
Definitely! The thing that got to me is how much potential this story has. The world the author built was great and I was to INTERESTED. unfortunately, no matter how good your world and plot, if the characters don't capture the reader then it just feels like an empty read.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Glad to know that you were still able to enjoy this book despite the typos and not so good writing because not many readers will stick through it when they face this problem. Thank you for sharing your enjoyment in reading this book by your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 07:23 Glad to know that you were still able to enjoy this book despite the typos and not so good writing because not many readers will stick through it when they face this problem. Thank you for sharing your enjoyment in reading this book by your review.
Every book deserves a chance. :lol: Thank you !
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

I love your review and the fact that books that dealt characters their greatness based on destiny makes you peeved. Now, I know it's not just me.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Nmesoma wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 11:06 I love your review and the fact that books that dealt characters their greatness based on destiny makes you peeved. Now, I know it's not just me.
THANK YOU! :lol: I want to respect the character, you know? Thank you! :lol:
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

It's a sign of bad writing when the characters fail to earn their success.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

DathanReeves wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 13:24 It's a sign of bad writing when the characters fail to earn their success.
Perfectly said. This book had so much potential. It's sad that more time wasn't taken to make it all it could be. Thanks for commenting. :tiphat:
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

This isn't my genre of choice, but I think the author tries to build a fantasy world based on the realities of the world we live in right now, corrupt leadership being the most visible. This aspect of the book fascinates me. Thanks for the engaging review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

shanettepienaar1971 wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 04:38
JR Mercier wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 02:54
shanettepienaar1971 wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 02:48 It's a shame that the editing wasn't stricter, and more time was taken to write the book. Really enjoyed your review.
It really is. Thank you for commenting. :tiphat:
I have to ask. How do you finish a book when it has so many typos? It puts me off because I can't focus on anything besides the typos.
It is hard to move past the typos. Besides the review, sometimes the book I'm reading has something that I really like. I'll usually focus on that when I read. I also try to remember that a lot of self-published authors might not have the finances to pay for a professional editor. Hope that helped a bit.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Nimat87 wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 05:06 This isn't my genre of choice, but I think the author tries to build a fantasy world based on the realities of the world we live in right now, corrupt leadership being the most visible. This aspect of the book fascinates me. Thanks for the engaging review.
I love that you saw that! I love fantasy. I've always felt like fantasy deals with real-world issues without letting the reader be biased and then when you see it in the real world it's like 'WOW'. I hope that made some sense. Thank you for commenting. :tiphat:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

JR Mercier wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 09:15 A pet peeve of mine is when a character is made a leader for no other reason than destiny. I’m not going to root for the guy that is special just because he’s special.
Yup, this annoys me too. Coupled with the run-on sentences - I think I'll pass on this one. I enjoyed your review, though!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”