Review by strawberrysab -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
User avatar
strawberrysab
Posts: 322
Joined: 10 Apr 2018, 06:09
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Review by strawberrysab -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by strawberrysab » 13 Jun 2018, 06:05

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review


What would you do if you could travel through the pathways of the Internet? Collect and manipulate data online and store the information in your brain? Teleport yourself through optic cables to the place you love most just by displaying it on a computer screen? Ah, raise your hand (or share this review, it’s your choice!) if you would electroport yourself with me to Iceland or to the Scandinavian peninsula to admire the midnight sun.

Anyway, the list of options would be endless. You could use your superpowers to help people or to right the wrongs life gave you. You could steal money from every illegitimate organization on the planet and divert it to the poor and needy. You could buy a luxurious home, a shiny sports car and, why not, an entire Caribbean island. Or you could spend a fortune to impress a young woman just to have her killed that same night because you were an idiot and let the bad guys catch you red-handed.

Alex Fine, the eighteen-year-old protagonist of the sci-fi novel Superhighway by Alex Fayman, manages to accomplish all of the above and much more. Raised in an orphanage in the poorest part of Los Angeles, after getting adopted and returned to sender twice, he decides that life as an adopted child is not for him and chooses to remain with Ms. Jenkins, the head administrator of the orphanage who loves him as if he were her own son. Brilliant and extremely talented, he is headed for a bright future despite his background. Except, one night, while trying to reconnect the computer after a blackout, he finds himself centrifuged into the psychedelic superhighway of pathways, cables and digital cabinets called the internet. He quickly realizes that he can travel through the net and reach any place simply by displaying it on the screen.

Once past the initial shock, Alex starts posing himself the big question. Why me? And that’s where Spider-Man’s uncle should have made his cameo. With great power, comes great responsibility. Alex knows this and already envisions himself as a futuristic Robin Hood. Nevertheless, we follow him as he electroports himself from one bad choice to another with such ease that I couldn’t help but scream in frustration throughout the entire book.

There is a deep moral coming with this story. If we had the ability to make everything right and fair in the world, would the world really be a better place? Or would our good intentions do more harm than good? And how big of a role would our common sense play in the realization of said intentions? The line between what is right and what we think is right is very fine and frayed by our personal experiences. This is what I admired most in Superhighway. Alex is young, immature and beset by the absence of a real family. It’s a terrible combination that leads him to terrible choices which cause him to rethink his actions when it is too late.

Sadly, despite loving the idea, I did not find the execution to be outstanding. I cannot bring myself to like Alex. I found him extremely immature, even for his age, and pretty one-dimensional. Most of the narrative revolves around how hungry he gets when he travels, about wasting stolen money on luxuries or about his sexual experiences. No matter how typical of a teenager this can be, it ends up falling short of providing a real internalization and Alex keeps repeating the same mistakes. He goes for the big fish, he gets into trouble, he doesn’t know how to handle the mess he got himself into, he electroports himself away from the mess. Repeat.

But, credit where credit's due, the idea of electroportation was original and the way that Alex used it was well thought out. In addition, Fayman’s fervid imagination conceived a fantastic rendering of the internet, where packets of light speed along the cables and microscopic libraries contain stacks of gazillion data. Alex himself becomes nothing but a yellow light and the reader can feel all of the energy.

I’m not entirely sure the book was professionally edited, since I spotted a few words that were either missing or repeated twice, some messed-up tenses and missing inverted commas. Nothing that could affect the reading, anyway.

All these things considered, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars and would recommend it to every sci-fi enthusiast. As for young adults, even if the protagonist is a teenager, please notice the portrayal of explicit sex scenes, alcohol, drug use, and graphic violence.

******
Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like strawberrysab's review? Post a comment saying so!
Berry :wine:

User avatar
Cotwani
Posts: 1780
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 16:12
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Earthside Trilogy by Sherri Fulmer Moorer

Post by Cotwani » 21 Jun 2018, 05:03

I have enjoyed reading your review. What a waste - that a story with such a sound premise falls short in execution. It's even more frustrating when the lead character never develops.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

User avatar
anwidmer
Posts: 282
Joined: 30 May 2018, 12:46
2018 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer » 21 Jun 2018, 06:03

Cotwani wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 05:03
I have enjoyed reading your review. What a waste - that a story with such a sound premise falls short in execution. It's even more frustrating when the lead character never develops.
I agree its frustrating at times to read a book a d feel its great potential only to have it fall short of said potential. I felt this review however was cleverly tgought out and written well. I definitly enjoyed reading it, bowever ill be passinv on the book, sci-fi isnt my favorite to begin with so id need a 4 star review to catch my interest.

User avatar
Helen_Combe
Posts: 2483
Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 12:17
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe » 21 Jun 2018, 06:21

Excellent review! You had me laughing out loud. 😄
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

User avatar
strawberrysab
Posts: 322
Joined: 10 Apr 2018, 06:09
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab » 21 Jun 2018, 06:43

Cotwani wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 05:03
I have enjoyed reading your review. What a waste - that a story with such a sound premise falls short in execution. It's even more frustrating when the lead character never develops.
Thank you! I honestly didn't know how to deal with Alex recognizing his mistakes but repeating them again. Over and over. The idea though, was really original.
Berry :wine:

User avatar
strawberrysab
Posts: 322
Joined: 10 Apr 2018, 06:09
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab » 21 Jun 2018, 06:46

anwidmer wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 06:03
Cotwani wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 05:03
I have enjoyed reading your review. What a waste - that a story with such a sound premise falls short in execution. It's even more frustrating when the lead character never develops.
I agree its frustrating at times to read a book a d feel its great potential only to have it fall short of said potential. I felt this review however was cleverly tgought out and written well. I definitly enjoyed reading it, bowever ill be passinv on the book, sci-fi isnt my favorite to begin with so id need a 4 star review to catch my interest.
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed my review. I generally love sci-fi books, it's not easy to invent science and future, you don't just need imagination but also a good deal of scientific knowledge most of the times.
Last edited by strawberrysab on 21 Jun 2018, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
Berry :wine:

User avatar
strawberrysab
Posts: 322
Joined: 10 Apr 2018, 06:09
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab » 21 Jun 2018, 06:48

Helen_Combe wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 06:21
Excellent review! You had me laughing out loud. 😄
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it :D I clearly had fun writing it.
Berry :wine:

User avatar
anwidmer
Posts: 282
Joined: 30 May 2018, 12:46
2018 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer » 21 Jun 2018, 07:08

strawberrysab wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 06:46
anwidmer wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 06:03
Cotwani wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 05:03
I have enjoyed reading your review. What a waste - that a story with such a sound premise falls short in execution. It's even more frustrating when the lead character never develops.
I agree its frustrating at times to read a book a d feel its great potential only to have it fall short of said potential. I felt this review however was cleverly tgought out and written well. I definitly enjoyed reading it, bowever ill be passinv on the book, sci-fi isnt my favorite to begin with so id need a 4 star review to catch my interest.
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed my review. I generally love sci-fi books, it's not easy to invent science and future, you don't just need imagination but also a good deal of scientific knowledge most of the times.
Agreed! Most other genres lend the sbility to research and confer with professionals to get the facts right. Such as C/M/T/H all easy to get information from a local detective or possibly victims of crime. Sci-fi dedinirly takes alot of imagination and skill

User avatar
strawberrysab
Posts: 322
Joined: 10 Apr 2018, 06:09
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab » 21 Jun 2018, 09:28

anwidmer wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 07:08
strawberrysab wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 06:46
anwidmer wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 06:03


I agree its frustrating at times to read a book a d feel its great potential only to have it fall short of said potential. I felt this review however was cleverly tgought out and written well. I definitly enjoyed reading it, bowever ill be passinv on the book, sci-fi isnt my favorite to begin with so id need a 4 star review to catch my interest.
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed my review. I generally love sci-fi books, it's not easy to invent science and future, you don't just need imagination but also a good deal of scientific knowledge most of the times.
Agreed! Most other genres lend the sbility to research and confer with professionals to get the facts right. Such as C/M/T/H all easy to get information from a local detective or possibly victims of crime. Sci-fi dedinirly takes alot of imagination and skill
Exactly. And in this specific case, Fayman brought the beam-me-up-Scotty thing to a whole new level :D
Berry :wine:

User avatar
Dael Reader
Posts: 684
Joined: 05 May 2018, 08:39
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader » 21 Jun 2018, 17:01

Great review! I am in the process of reading this one myself, and feeling some of the same frustration about Alex. I'll see how it goes at the end.

User avatar
strawberrysab
Posts: 322
Joined: 10 Apr 2018, 06:09
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab » 21 Jun 2018, 23:24

Dael Reader wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 17:01
Great review! I am in the process of reading this one myself, and feeling some of the same frustration about Alex. I'll see how it goes at the end.
Thank you! And let me know how you’ll feel about the end in particular!
Berry :wine:

User avatar
JR Mercier
Posts: 696
Joined: 23 May 2018, 05:03
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier » 25 Jun 2018, 06:52

I felt exactly the same with Superhighway. Loved the idea, didn't like the execution. Loved your review!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

User avatar
anwidmer
Posts: 282
Joined: 30 May 2018, 12:46
2018 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer » 25 Jun 2018, 08:07

strawberrysab wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 09:28
anwidmer wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 07:08
strawberrysab wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 06:46


Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed my review. I generally love sci-fi books, it's not easy to invent science and future, you don't just need imagination but also a good deal of scientific knowledge most of the times.
Agreed! Most other genres lend the sbility to research and confer with professionals to get the facts right. Such as C/M/T/H all easy to get information from a local detective or possibly victims of crime. Sci-fi dedinirly takes alot of imagination and skill
Exactly. And in this specific case, Fayman brought the beam-me-up-Scotty thing to a whole new level :D
Ive since given in and read the book. My curiosity could not be stopped. He definitly did just that bringing the sci-fi genre to a while other level. Sadly as i stated before i feel his execution did not do the plot justice however.

User avatar
gen_g
Posts: 2216
Joined: 22 Apr 2018, 10:31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Divided We Stand by William de Berg

Post by gen_g » 25 Jun 2018, 09:53

anwidmer wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 07:08
strawberrysab wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 06:46
anwidmer wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 06:03


I agree its frustrating at times to read a book a d feel its great potential only to have it fall short of said potential. I felt this review however was cleverly tgought out and written well. I definitly enjoyed reading it, bowever ill be passinv on the book, sci-fi isnt my favorite to begin with so id need a 4 star review to catch my interest.
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed my review. I generally love sci-fi books, it's not easy to invent science and future, you don't just need imagination but also a good deal of scientific knowledge most of the times.
Agreed! Most other genres lend the sbility to research and confer with professionals to get the facts right. Such as C/M/T/H all easy to get information from a local detective or possibly victims of crime. Sci-fi dedinirly takes alot of imagination and skill
I agree! Characters that are not well-developed are always a turn-off for me. Otherwise, the premise seems so interesting, which is a pity. Thank you for your amazing review, I certainly enjoyed reading it very much!

User avatar
Laura Bach
Posts: 815
Joined: 25 Mar 2018, 11:32
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 738
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: The Nine by Terry Cloutier

Post by Laura Bach » 25 Jun 2018, 13:10

I liked your opening line. You can check my review, I also used the Spiderman quote in there :). I agree with your point of view 100%.

Post Reply

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”