Review by Beth KG -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review by Beth KG -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Beth KG »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

by Beth KG

Review of Becoming the Dragon, (The Dragon Inside Book 1), by A. Sapegin

A 16-year old boy, Andy, is mistakenly transported into another world by his scientist father. In this world, he meets many magical creatures: mages, orcs, gnomes and…most fantastically of all…dragons! In the process of rescuing a captured dragon, he is terribly wounded. Close to death, he is given the choice of dying or becoming a dragon himself.

Sounds exciting, right? Well, really, not so much.

All the elements are there but the writer fails to deliver. It’s difficult to follow the action and keep track of the characters. This may be because this is an English translation. The book was originally published in Russia. But for works of fiction, and especially for works of fantasy, it is vital to convince the reader to suspend disbelief. How can you inhabit an imaginary world when the author’s lack of skill prevents you from doing so? It was like listening to a child blurt out a story, without having the patience or the words, to do so. It was start, stop, scratch my head, give up, and go on, throughout the whole book. This lack of flow made it impossible for me to become truly interested in the story.

The following are examples of some particularly confusing sentences from the book: “Bits of the skin off his palms remained on its surface and fell to the ground by the dragon’s head, clinking victoriously.” “He had been stingy with the glue it hadn’t held.” “From the central wagon, they unloaded onto a bundle of sticks and a sack of charcoal.”

At best, this book might find an audience of young readers. It’s very juvenile in the beginning. However, some subject matter is probably inappropriate for that audience. There are mild sexual passages in the book. And it’s doubtful that even a young reader would be interested in the bland depiction of Andy’s life before his adventure.

My rating for this book is two out of four stars. The story became a little less tedious about a quarter of the way in. Many dreary chapters later, which I struggled to read, it became mildly diverting as it neared its conclusion. Finally! The descriptions of the tactile sensations that a person might experience while becoming and living as a dragon engaged my imagination more than anything else. But this was too little, and too late, to make me want to waste any more time on this series.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Beth KG's review? Post a comment saying so!
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

This sounds like a great story it's a shame that the author couldn't deliver the content in an interesting way. I'm sorry you got bored. Good review.
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

Oulababe wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 15:31 This sounds like a great story it's a shame that the author couldn't deliver the content in an interesting way. I'm sorry you got bored. Good review.
Yes, I think it was a very good idea, but unfortunately, the idea got lost in the writing. Thank you so much for commenting! :)
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Feels like you read my review! Overwhelmed with random story lines, characters and no idea how they fit together. This book tried to be so much and didn't end up being anything. Great concept ruined by bad execution. Thanks for the honest review!
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

jcoad wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 19:05 Feels like you read my review! Overwhelmed with random story lines, characters and no idea how they fit together. This book tried to be so much and didn't end up being anything. Great concept ruined by bad execution. Thanks for the honest review!
Thank you for your comments! We are in agreement! I have not yet read your review but I definitely will now. :)
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

That's a shame. The plot sounds so good. The story could of been a whole lot better. Thank you for the honest review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 10:46 That's a shame. The plot sounds so good. The story could of been a whole lot better. Thank you for the honest review!
It is a shame that some of the good ideas of this book didn't pan out in the end product. Appreciate your taking the time to read, and comment on, my review. Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”