Review by Ninjamommi -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ninjamommi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ninjamommi.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Ninjamommi -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Ninjamommi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin is the first book in his The Dragon Inside series. The book begins with a Russian teen named Andy living a normal life in his world. He's not a normal teen though. Once he got struck by lightning and now he can no longer use electronics. This forces him to seek out other means of entertainment which gives him skills that will help with an unwanted adventure about to unfold.

One day he accidentally gets transported to another world. One that's very different from his. He starts out in his modern, safer world but ends up in a medieval world full of all kinds of dangers. Andy will have to do everything he can in order to survive.

Andy has to learn how to adapt quickly in a world that is so much more harsher than his own. Magic, wild animals, and torture will test this young man's resolve. At one point it seems that Andy will lose his humanity but he manages to persevere.

I really enjoyed this story by Sapegin. The English translation was done well enough that I forgot it was originally written in Russian. The story was rich and the characters were well-rounded. The races of people were well thought out and religions were complex.

I really do like the main character, Andy. He's smart but still makes mistakes that any young person would. Being a quick learner and having a thirst for knowledge helps him survive the new world. And it's not just the main character that is well-developed. All the characters that Andy meets and spends time with have their own personalities that you will like or dislike.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. At first I wasn't sure I was going to like the story but by the end it had impressed me. I didn't have any problems finishing this book. I also like the world that Sapegin built was ripe with culture and turmoil. His characters were lovable even with their faults. I did not notice any spelling or grammatical errors.

I recommend this book for anyone who loves medieval fantasy books. It's full of magic, amazing creatures and plenty of action. Young adults can relate to the main character and will love growing alongside him. It is definitely a series worth getting into. I will definitely be investing some money to purchase the other books in this series.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Ninjamommi's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”