Official Review: The Carbynarah Chronicles by Jon Franklyn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Re: Official Review: The Carbynarah Chronicles by Jon Franklyn

Post by revna01 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 09:25
joshfee77 wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 00:08 A beautifully written fantasy novel, from your description (despite my initial thought that the title sounded like a chef setting up a pasta restaurant :lol2: - it must be difficult coming up with so many unique names in fantasy!) Enjoyed your detailed review.
Thank you. I kept thinking of the Carbonaro Effect every time I thought about the title. What is strange about the title of this book is you have to read the glossary to even know what Carbynarah refers to. Apparently Carbynarah is 5 major and 7 minor continents. I would not have known that if not for the descriptor in the glossary. Even the map doesn't make it clear how extensive Carbynarah is. I wish Franklyn would have fleshed that out a little better. Especially if the series ever extends past the High Plains.
Thought I'd chime in on the food thing. The name reminds me of my days (many moons ago) working at a sub sandwich chain....Chicken Carbonara...lol

Anyways, great review, Kfwilson! I hope it gets the editing because it surely sounds like a great fantasy.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

I like that the author gives snapshots of the whole kingdom. It's an important balance to progress the plot of the main characters while showing the macro view of the world they exist in. Once it's edited further, I look forward to reading it!
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I'm always disappointed when books are edited poorly. I also agree on the interest waning during battle scenes thing. More often than not, I find myself skimming them just to see who lives and dies and then moving on to the rest of the actual story. Great review!
elwhiz
Favorite Book: Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic
Currently Reading: Fire Girl
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by elwhiz »

wow i was drawn to this book by your review, a great review i must say.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

elwhiz wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 04:00 wow i was drawn to this book by your review, a great review i must say.
Thank you! It is a wonderful book.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I like a battle scene that is fast and to the point so I completely understand where you're coming from. I hope this book gets professionally edited. Great review!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

Thanks for the recommendation and wonderful review. I'd definitely check it out for my next read.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Why, oh why do authors slow their brilliant work with poor editing? Thanks for the great review! The book seems captivating.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

Very good review. I usually do not read chronicles or books like this but your review convinced me to give it a try.
osayuwamen6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osayuwamen6.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by osayuwamen6 »

I will find it a bit distracting reading this book because of the editing errors and the battle scences involved but it sounds like a fascinating story. Nice review!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Why do authors spend money for a review but not an editor? Great review! I'm not into battle scenes but the story sounds interesting. I'd put it on my to be read list but it would probably be at the bottom if I'm honest and does anyone ever reach the bottom...speaking of which I need to be reading....
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

AmySmiles wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 13:35 Why do authors spend money for a review but not an editor? Great review! I'm not into battle scenes but the story sounds interesting. I'd put it on my to be read list but it would probably be at the bottom if I'm honest and does anyone ever reach the bottom...speaking of which I need to be reading....
I'm not sure what the bottom of my list even includes. It's far too long right now. I wish I could be reading right this minute, but alas, I am killing a few minutes before a meeting. Thanks for commenting!
This book was really awesome aside from the editing issues. I tend to move books in a series down on my list if the series is not completely written yet, in the hopes that the series will be completed in a reasonable amount of time for me to binge read it.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy

Post by melissy370 »

This book sounds like it is right up my alley because I love fantasy. Yron's character is appealing with his desire to help others. I hope the errors won't get in my way of enjoying it, and I would definitely read this book.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you so much for your review! While today's BOTD is not for me, I do plan to add this to our classroom book recommendations board, as I teach HS students who are interested in the fantasy genre and the adventure that comes with it! Hopefully, the author will take your advice and fix the editing errors. Such a shame when this sounds like it could easily have been given a perfect rating. Great job and thank you, again! :-)
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

An epic fantasy featuring magic, large-scale battles, and dragons sounds enticing. Good world building, complex characters, and exciting tale should make it a delightful read. It is good that it is easy to keep track of all the many characters. I love the genre, so I will give it a try. Hopefully, the errors were fixed by now. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”