Official Review: The Aduramis Chronicles: The Definitive ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Re: Official Review: The Aduramis Chronicles: The Definitive ...

Post by revna01 »

It sounds like this book is a winner on many fronts! You highlighted all the key elements for me! Hopefully it gets the necessary editing! Thanks for a great review!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 06:33 Great review. I’m always astonished at how many authors pour so much work into a book and then skip the editing step. Such a shame as it sounds like a very well worked book.
The editing issues were only minor, but there were a lot of them. Harrison Davies informed me today that he did pay to have the trilogy edited professionally, so unfortunately whoever has done the editing missed quite a lot of these little errors. But this is still an excellent fantasy trilogy when it comes to story and character development. I highly recommend it.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

SABRADLEY wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 12:05 It sounds like this book is a winner on many fronts! You highlighted all the key elements for me! Hopefully it gets the necessary editing! Thanks for a great review!
Yeah, the editing issues were minor against the quality of the writing and the story. Davies’ description, plotting and world-building are all top-notch. If you like fantasy, definitely check this one out!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

To anyone who has read my review of The Aduramis Chronicles, I would like to clarify the following:

I was informed today by author Harrison Davies that his trilogy was professionally edited, at considerable cost to himself.

For the record, I would have loved to give this excellent trilogy a 4-star rating, and the numerous minor errors, mainly in punctuation, were the only reason I felt unable to do so. My statement that the trilogy appeared not to have been edited professionally was based only on my own intuition, largely due to the misplacement of commas and apostrophes, which I assumed would have been corrected by a paid professional editor. My sincere apologies to the author for my incorrect assumption.

I would like to reiterate how impressed I was with the quality of Davies’ storytelling, character development and world-building in what is a brilliant fantasy trilogy. It really is one of the most entertaining I have ever read in the fantasy genre.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

joshfee77 wrote: 31 May 2018, 01:34 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Aduramis Chronicles: The Definitive Collection" by Harrison Davies.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Aduramis Chronicles: The Definitive Collection by Harrison Davies is a fantasy trilogy consisting of Destiny of the Wulf, Underworld and The New World.

Orcs and trolls from Madorine raid the village of Arrom, angry that they have not received their supply of fish from a village elder after assisting the village the previous winter. Young boy Coinin (7) and his brother Marrok (10) lose their parents in the violence. Their dying father sends them to live with their uncle, Draken. Over the years, Draken works them hard but also trains them in swordplay and the magical arts. Ten years later, he takes them to see a dwarf, Trenobin, who transports them to an island and the Temple of Rindor. Here, their uncle Draken's treachery unwittingly unleashes a goblin army on the enchanted city.

Legend states that the two boys will help The Brotherhood of the Wulf rid the world of Er'ath of injustice and a threat to their existence. Coinin soon discovers that Death (Mort) wants to challenge the ruler of the gods, Rindor, to rule in his place. If the Swords of Cerathil are not joined together in a ritual once every thousand years, Rindor's brothers and sisters are free to challenge him to rule. With five years remaining, Coinin takes up the role of Curator to lead the search for the swords. Marrok becomes Coinin's general, to command his troops.

I am always impressed at how fantasy writers craft entire worlds from scratch. While they do draw from familiar character types and settings, it is the detail that captures the reader and enriches the tale. Davies does descriptive detail exceptionally well. One gets the sense that he sees each scene and setting vividly in his mind as he writes. I enjoyed his writing style from the beginning. His prose is easy to read and never boring. The overall plot of the trilogy is quite complicated, with a plethora of characters, but the story moves continually forward, with plenty to hold the reader's interest. I quickly became immersed in the world of Er'ath.

The characters are interesting and complex, with no "all good" or "all bad" stereotypes. For example, a couple of orcs (usually violent) are friendly and compassionate. The reader even feels some sympathy for Lordich Secrecar, the "evil" wizard, who has been blinded by his hatred for The Brotherhood, whom he believes failed him at a crucial moment, causing the deaths of his wife and daughter. Characters also grow and change throughout the books. Coinin and Jericho, a general, are driven by their grief at losing loved ones, while Draken finds his true love, bringing him back to Rindor and causing him to repent his past evil acts.

The first book features a great cliffhanger ending, as Marrok is kidnapped by sky pirates on the Blackheart, the most feared of all pirate airships. There are plenty of supernatural occurrences and elements of horror, especially about Death, war and frightening creatures such as orcs and dragons. The dialogue remains true to character types, such as coarse speech and slang from pirates, and particular idiosyncrasies for children.

The major theme in the trilogy is religious faith. Both Marrok and Draken Wulf find their way back to the god Rindor through repentance of sin after earlier denouncing their faith. Another theme is racism, such as a "purebred" elf guide who has disdain for the impure elves living in his city. Coinin - the trilogy's "moral compass" - finds this racism abhorrent, believing every living being has equal value.

The only negative aspect of The Aduramis Chronicles is a lack of professional editing. The most common issue is missing or incorrect punctuation, such as commas in unnecessary places. Apostrophes are sometimes used incorrectly in plurals, and not used to indicate ownership. There are also many sentences which could be reduced in length, though this is probably a fine line to tread since fantasy is by nature very descriptive. Also, the third book, at almost half the length of the entire trilogy, felt a little drawn-out at times. I believe it could afford to lose a hundred or more pages of subplot without sacrificing the main plot.

I rate The Aduramis Chronicles: The Definitive Collection 3 out of 4 stars. With professional editing, it would easily be 4 stars. The world is beautifully constructed, the description is excellent and the characters are believable. The climactic battle scenes are powerful and engaging, and the plot has enough to keep the reader turning the page. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it. This trilogy would appeal to any devotee of the fantasy genre, but it is a lengthy journey, so definitely not suited to those who lose patience with longer books.

Editor's Note: This book was professionally edited. The few lingering typos noted by the reviewer have since been fixed as well.
The Aduramis Chronicles: The Definitive Collection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
I really like fantasy books. I'm going to try this one out. Thanks for the detailed review.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

nikkyteewhy wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 12:51
I really like fantasy books. I'm going to try this one out. Thanks for the detailed review.
Thanks for your comment! This really is an excellent fantasy trilogy, totally immersive. You won’t be disappointed!
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

This book sounds like it would be a wonderful story. Hopefully when it is edited again, I will read it.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a captivating read. Your review provided a good visualization of what this book is all about. The action and thriller just helps to keep the spirit of this read going up. Too bad about the errors but as the editor remarked that the author has fixed the issue I am sure it will be a delightful read. Thank you for a descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

BriennaiJ wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 13:03 This book sounds like it would be a wonderful story. Hopefully when it is edited again, I will read it.
Yeah, only minor editing needed - mostly for punctuation errors. Harrison Davies is re-editing it now. Great story though.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 21:12 Sounds like a captivating read. Your review provided a good visualization of what this book is all about. The action and thriller just helps to keep the spirit of this read going up. Too bad about the errors but as the editor remarked that the author has fixed the issue I am sure it will be a delightful read. Thank you for a descriptive review!
Indeed an excellent story with a rich array of characters. Thanks for your comments!
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

I love fantasy but errors in books make me go hulk, so regrettably I'll skip. Maybe one of my friends would read it and I can squeeze them for details
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Nmesoma wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 06:07 I love fantasy but errors in books make me go hulk, so regrettably I'll skip. Maybe one of my friends would read it and I can squeeze them for details
Fair enough - I'm not a fan of errors either! All I can say is this trilogy is getting a final edit as we speak, and the story and characters are excellent. So you should definitely check out the re-release when it comes through!
elwhiz
Favorite Book: Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic
Currently Reading: Fire Girl
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by elwhiz »

one word "awesome". what a great review must read this book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”