Official Review: Undying Love by Bill Liggins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Official Review: Undying Love by Bill Liggins

Post by KRay93 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Undying Love" by Bill Liggins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Undying Love by Bill Liggins is a sci-fi/romance novel that follows the story of Malchides, an immortal being whose only desire is to perish. Because of his unique nature, humanity has either worshiped or feared him, often misinterpreting his actions. For this reason, he has been forced to retreat into anonymity, although he has always acted in the best interests of mankind from the shadows. But his desire to achieve peace and his unconditional love for those women who had won his heart will lead him to test the limits of his immortality. For the torture to which his soul has been subjected may have no end.

The book focuses on Malchides' three love interests in three different periods. First, we have Candace Amanirenas, a woman of Nubian royalty and sister of the highest authority of the Roman Empire on her land. Then, we have Tamara Jennings, a young 21st-century researcher obsessed with a recurring figure in the history of mankind who is seemingly immortal. Finally, we have Sage Kolene, a female metasapien (an artificial being) who finds herself suddenly separated from the Core that directs her species and with the need to fend for herself.

The prose throughout the book is extremely fluid and pleasant for reading. Although it distances itself from the protagonists at times, it manages to capture their essence as it focuses on their feelings and thoughts along with their actions. While not bold, the romance scenes are very well built around the physical perceptions of the characters, their connection deep and almost mystical. The author also does a great job in setting the reader in each of the three periods in which the book takes place, from the conflicts in the power of Rome to the relationships between the organic and artificial beings in the future. Additionally, the editing work is nearly flawless. Apart from a couple of missing double quotation marks in dialogues, some absent words, and a few misplaced commas, there are no grammatical mistakes or typos.

My only real complaint about this book is related to its plot. It is not a matter of whether or not it is engaging, but of focus. Considering the title, I expected something more from the development of the romantic plots between the characters, with the exception of Kolene's case. Although the secondary conflicts around the role of the powerful organizations of humanity in relation to the figure of the Malchides are interesting, they take over the focus of the text at times. While the addition of these elements enriches the plot, the reader may come to expect a little more romance in a story of this kind.

Nevertheless, the story is compelling, the characters are charismatic, and the conclusion is satisfying. I would have given it one more star, but considering what I mentioned about the “focus” thing and the fact that the book would have benefited from expanding Malchides' perspective for much of its length, I give it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers of romance books who accept the presence of sci-fi elements in their texts. Additionally, I recommend it to sci-fi readers looking for stories with parallels between past, present, and future, as well as thriller elements in their texts.

Undying Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KRay93's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

The premise of this book is intriguing, and the inclusion of the metasapien love interest kind of reminds me of the artificial intelligence Jane from the Ender's Game series. XD I completely agree that the title and the plot don't seem to match, though.

Thank you for your detailed review! :)
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I like that you enjoy this book. The character of the protagonist sounds really intriguing. Thank you for your great review.
nobunkum
Currently Reading: The Caucasus
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nobunkum.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by nobunkum »

I really enjoyed reading your summary of the book. But then when I read your critique it left me thinking maybe your summary was better than the book! That is an interesting concept though. Thanks for the review!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

The idea of a man's three loves over the ages is certainly achingly romantic but as a woman, I'm not sure I love thinking about a man being attached to someone before me. Maybe it's my own insecurities that take me straight there when reading your review but I suppose I am what I am :lol2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm not usually a romance reader, but the idea of him having loves in different time periods and being tortured by his immortality seems intriguing.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm very interested in Malchides. An Immortal character who wants to die is definitely intriguing. We all think immortality would be fabulous, but I'm not so sure. It sounds like there are a few issues, but it might still be worth considering. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NiiAdjiri26
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NiiAdjiri26 »

It's quite intriguing reading the preview
Because am much into romantic books
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Compelling love stories. I would love to read this book.
cindycindy
Currently Reading: Six Weeks With A Lord
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by cindycindy »

i have read and watched similar stories like this.the urge of knowing how the story will end but this one is way different.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like a really unusual sci-fi/romancy type novel. Interesting concept! Thanks for your review.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

I love books with a good number of mysteries and if those mysteries have love entangled within, count me in!!!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”