Official Review: Lightforce by PB & Jason

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Lightforce by PB & Jason

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lightforce" by PB & Jason.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lightforce by PB & Jason is a self-published debut novel, so it has some of the flaws you might expect. These include minor grammatical errors, including an instance of using the word "too" rather than the word "to," a lack of female characters in comparison to the number of male characters, and somewhat lackluster cover art. Personally, I also didn't like that it used the somewhat contrived trope of using a flashforward scene for its opening. This is the full extent of my criticism.

Despite its flaws, above all else, Lightforce is fun. It's a superhero novel in the tradition of The Amazing Spiderman, with characters that are larger-than-life enough be interesting and unique, but not so exaggerated as to become distracting. The book's eponymous character, Lee, has the ability to create and manipulate boxes made of light. With the help of his dad, whose past remains shrouded in mystery, he uses these powers to become the world's first legitimate superhero, Lightforce.

Besides its characters, one of the best things about this book is the way it deals with the fact that Lee is gay. In the vein of Captain America punching out Nazis, Lightforce doesn't shy away from this topic as being overly political, and it doesn't become preachy, either. This facet of Lee's identity is integrated seamlessly into the narrative, from the dichotomy of being public with his sexuality but secretive with his powers to how he handles members of the Westboro Baptist Church being held hostage. Yes, seriously.

I can't attest to how accurate to real life Lightforce is in its portrayal of some aspects of Lee's life, including the police force and close-knit Asian communities like the one he lives in. To me, though, the book's worldbuilding almost had the quality of an impressionist painting. It wasn't bogged down with relentless details, but it still it provided enough nuance and consistency to suggest a larger world behind it. I'm honestly amazed that a pair of first-time authors managed to do this.

I enjoyed Lightforce in a way I genuinely haven't enjoyed a book since I was young. It may be rough around the edges in a few places, but everything about it was exciting and refreshing, including the powers, the characters, and the worldbuilding. Needless to say, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I can see people with homophobic tendencies disliking this book, and anyone who prefers dark, gritty superhero narratives to exaggerated comic book ones may also not enjoy it. I can't recommend it to people younger than teenagers, as it does contain cursing and some mild sexual content. Ultimately, if you have any interest in superheroes whatsoever and aren't turned off by any of the caveats I mentioned, you should absolutely read this book.

Lightforce
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

This sounds like quite a fun novel. I’ve missed many of the lighter superheroes lately.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think that this is the book for me, but I do appreciate your review. It sounds like you were really able to enjoy it. I enjoy superheroes on occasion. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Aaron _ Aaron
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aaron _ Aaron »

Well I think it's fun I remember my childhood days that I love watching and reading superheroes stories
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I actually like the cover. This sounds like a good read.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like an awesome book! It's always great that we can have one more LGBTQ superhero - even greater when the issue of his sexuality is handled maturely and appropriately by the author. Thanks for the detailed review.
RS Dino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rs-dino.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by RS Dino »

Wohoo! A sci-fi with a gay character? Give it to me! I would always enjoy somethin' like this.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I'm not a huge fan of super hero stories, so I don't think this would be for me, but props to the author. It sounds a lot better than the self-published stories I've seen lately, which means the author knows most of what they are doing!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This was actually one of several books I contemplated before choosing the book I'm reading now, so I'm *jealous!* ha-ha, but also glad to know that my instincts about this book were correct. It's too bad about the few negatives, but wonderful that the positives far outweighed them. And I actually do love superheroes but think the superhero movies of today tend to be too dark, so I'm thrilled to have a lighter version to read... Thanks for the super :D review!
Adeniji
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Adeniji »

This book remind me back to the olden days..so lovely
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

The cover is engaging. The storyline isn't for me but I'm always on the lookout for books that will appeal to my young adult son.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Excellent review! I really liked how you described this book’s world-building as similar to an impressionist painting. Sounds like it was done very well.
Dannykay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dannykay »

Not bad at all. Liked the positive criticism and the way you bring out the whole story...cool guess the lightforce is a 4 star
Jonatan156
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Jonatan156 »

I love the plot as the story of the heroes unfolds, thanks for this book, I love it
Silahmom
Currently Reading: The girl who dared to fight
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silahmom.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Silahmom »

I feel like I would enjoy this book! Thanks for the review!!!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”