Official Review: The Wolf Moon by Nikki Broadwell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: Official Review: The Wolf Moon by Nikki Broadwell

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for an honest, thorough review! I like that the book can be read as a standalone, but the story seems too busy for my taste - too many characters to keep track of, a rushed pace, and too many subplots. Hope your next book is more enjoyable.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

SamSim wrote: 30 May 2018, 07:05
In my opinion, that is the most annoying experience I could have with a book. I want to forget where I am and lose track of time while reading a novel, not forget characters and lose track of the plot - defeats the purpose. Great premise, great backdrop, but didn't play out well. Thanks for the honest and thorough review!
I can't agree more, Samsim. (I find your screen name wonderful, lady Samson.)
I wonder why the author had to cram so much stuff into the story. Since it is part of a series, she could have just written a fourth, then a fifth book. It's no good ending a series badly. Or perhaps the book would be better appreciated by those who have read the first two books.

The author could learn much from J.K. Rowling. The first HP I read was the final book, and I was hooked to read all the rest. And she had all those characters! That is magic.

Thanks for the enchanting review, Ginnamassa!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

bookowlie wrote: 31 May 2018, 11:28 Thanks for an honest, thorough review! I like that the book can be read as a standalone, but the story seems too busy for my taste - too many characters to keep track of, a rushed pace, and too many subplots. Hope your next book is more enjoyable.
Thank you! :) It *was* pretty busy--I wish it had slowed down a little to give me some more time to digest!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 31 May 2018, 12:36
SamSim wrote: 30 May 2018, 07:05
In my opinion, that is the most annoying experience I could have with a book. I want to forget where I am and lose track of time while reading a novel, not forget characters and lose track of the plot - defeats the purpose. Great premise, great backdrop, but didn't play out well. Thanks for the honest and thorough review!
I can't agree more, Samsim. (I find your screen name wonderful, lady Samson.)
I wonder why the author had to cram so much stuff into the story. Since it is part of a series, she could have just written a fourth, then a fifth book. It's no good ending a series badly. Or perhaps the book would be better appreciated by those who have read the first two books.

The author could learn much from J.K. Rowling. The first HP I read was the final book, and I was hooked to read all the rest. And she had all those characters! That is magic.

Thanks for the enchanting review, Ginnamassa!

HAHAHA man, yes! The author could definitely have taken a page or two out of JK Rowling's book when it comes to plot and pacing--I completely agree that ending a series badly is a pretty sure way to turn readers off, oops. :P (Also, Harry Potter fans unite!) Thank you for your kind words and for reading my review! :D
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I just reviewed a fantasy that jumped around like that and did not come back to the plot strands for completion. It's frustrating.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 29 May 2018, 10:13
I loved the concept of this book. As a fan of the fantasy genre and something of a history nerd, the Arthurian-legend undertones and Celtic backstory were what drew me to this book in the first place. The novel does deliver as promised—readers do get their fill of ancient magic, and the background Celtic influences are seamlessly incorporated into the worldbuilding. If I were judging based on the concept and basic worldbuilding alone, this book would definitely rank high on my most-recommended list.

Unfortunately, while the idea for The Wolf Moon is amazing, the execution still leaves a lot to be desired. Although I happily picked up the book based on the blurb alone, I did not enjoy the actual product very much, and here is why:
From what you've said, I think I would end up feeling the same way. I was pretty excited about this book with your intro paragraph. I even thought it might be worth giving a chance when you said the story and world building were done well. However, I think this book needs some work before I commit my time to it.

Great review. Thanks for sharing.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

teacherjh wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 17:05 I just reviewed a fantasy that jumped around like that and did not come back to the plot strands for completion. It's frustrating.
RIGHT? Although I'll say that the gigantic cast of characters was a strong competitor for Most Frustrating Part. XD Thank you for reading and commenting! :)
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 19:59
Ginnamassa19 wrote: 29 May 2018, 10:13
I loved the concept of this book. As a fan of the fantasy genre and something of a history nerd, the Arthurian-legend undertones and Celtic backstory were what drew me to this book in the first place. The novel does deliver as promised—readers do get their fill of ancient magic, and the background Celtic influences are seamlessly incorporated into the worldbuilding. If I were judging based on the concept and basic worldbuilding alone, this book would definitely rank high on my most-recommended list.

Unfortunately, while the idea for The Wolf Moon is amazing, the execution still leaves a lot to be desired. Although I happily picked up the book based on the blurb alone, I did not enjoy the actual product very much, and here is why:
From what you've said, I think I would end up feeling the same way. I was pretty excited about this book with your intro paragraph. I even thought it might be worth giving a chance when you said the story and world building were done well. However, I think this book needs some work before I commit my time to it.

Great review. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, I was so stoked when I read the summary of the book as well :( Oh well.

Thank you for reading and commenting! :D
Booklover1243
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Booklover1243 »

It is unfortunate that this book seemed rushed and underdeveloped. The story sounds great and engaging. The addition of Celtic influences is also a plus for me. I love it when authors add historical cultural aspects to their stories. It gives the story an authentic touch of the places or things that they incorporate into the story.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”