Official Review: These Lies That Live Between Us

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Official Review: These Lies That Live Between Us

Post by DustinPBrown »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "These Lies That Live Between Us" by Kai Raine.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The debut novel of Kai Raine is appropriately titled These Lies that Live Between Us, a fascinating fantasy story that explores how lies and secrecy isolate us from those we love and prevent us from having the fulfilling relationships we crave in life, all while balancing wit with poise.

We read about Ceryll where three princesses, “the heir, the airhead and the dead,” live together in a castle with their father. This land is magical, but magic and witchcraft, or “the Words,” are forbidden. The book opens on one of the princesses tossing herself off a cliff, apparently overcome by the madness of the Words. A year later, the “airhead” princess, Gwen, embarks on a journey to find the legendary phoenix, a weapon powerful enough to save her nation from invading magicians who ignore the laws against magic. Meanwhile, the “heir” Nicole must protect herself and her father from foreign agents infiltrating their castle.

I review and read a lot of fantasy, and this book explores and employs the pillars of the genre. There are magical creatures, supernatural beings, witches and wizardry, a medieval-esque setting—you get the idea. This novel excels, as do most good novels, in its originality. Almost every fantasy book has people who control the elements; this was the first I’ve read where they had to ask the elements very nicely for consent to be used. The chosen one narrative has been hashed and re-hashed into oblivion; while These Lies uses that trope, it also obfuscates it with a possible second chosen one.

Perhaps most impressive of all is how themes about honesty and secrecy meld perfectly with the plot. “Speakers” are magicians bound to tell the truth and capable of seeing when a person lies, and it’s fascinating to watch how these characters use half-truths to keep their secrets. Besides that, the three main characters all possess their own secrets which they hide from those close to them, secrets about their real identity, about their real plans, and about their futures, secrets which ultimately create more problems than they solve. The climax of the story comes, not in an epic battle scene, but in a moment of truth between two characters, a satisfying end to both the plot and the characters’ arcs.

Besides that, it’s a delight to read. The craft is clean, precise, and beautiful. Characters are fleshed-out and hilarious. On her quest, Gwen’s companion Nier is shot by a bowman while protecting her. When she points out he’s bleeding, he says, ”Just a scratch. Now get down before you get shot!” to which Gwen replies, “Yes, of course. When I see a man lying in a pool of his own blood, I think how all right he is.” Every character has their funny moments that enrich the dialog and story outside of the well-plotted action scenes.

I think this could be a difficult novel to love for people who don’t already love fantasy. As I mentioned, there is a lot of playing with established tropes, and those less-well-read in the genre may miss some of the charm of those inversions. There’s so much I could say about this novel, but I’ll leave the review with my 4 out of 4 star rating and my hopes that you’ll pick up a copy for yourself.

These Lies That Live Between Us
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like DustinPBrown's review? Post a comment saying so!
Adeniji
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Adeniji »

lies gradually destroy this world ..very interesting
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

Your review was eloquent and thorough. I smiled when who stated that permission was needed to use the elements. The story sounds funny and interesting. I am glad that you stated that this fantasy follows the constructs of its genre and that one who reads fantasy would appreciate the inversions. I am looking forward to adding this to my bookshelf. I do enjoy fresh ways in presenting a genre.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

I really enjoyed your review. On occasion, I do enjoy a book from the fantasy genre. This one sounds like it has great potential; I might give it a try.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This novel sounds familiar in great ways and unique in even better ways. I've never read a fiction book dealing heavily with the nature of lies, especially in the fantasy genre. I was hooked after the first paragraph of your review and I think I will be "picking up a copy" myself. Thanks for the great recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
tamwenya nelly
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tamwenya nelly »

Indeed lies can separate the bond btn families friends
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Oh my gosh, the part on the Speakers using half-truths to conceal their secrets is really interesting--as is the bit where the elements have to consent to be used before their power can be harnessed! I enjoy fantasy, and this seems like a book I'd gladly read :D

Thank you for your review--it was very illuminating :)
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

Wow what a great review! This looks like it would be right up my alley and may be what I've been looking for! Thank you so much!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love your very detailed review. I am left feeling so intrigued by all the fanciful scenes, mysteries, and humor.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

I love novels involving magic and I guess this is next for me. Thanks for the awesome review.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

An impressive debut novel! I like how the author manipulates some established fantasy genre conventions; I’m a big fan of the unexpected and unorthodox in any story.
MHScaccia
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhscaccia.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri
Reading Device: B01J94T83C

Post by MHScaccia »

Though I find your review intriguing, I think I’ll have to put this one on a back burner for the moment. I’ve only recently begun reading in this genre, so I’d likely miss the fantasy nuances which made this book a hit for you. Great review though!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Very interesting. Not sure what to think. Not my usual choice of story but you make it sound very appealing. I"m curious about the magicians that can't lie.

I think I may pick this one up. Thanks for the review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

a fascinating fantasy story that explores how lies and secrecy isolate us from those we love and prevent us from having the fulfilling relationships we crave in life, all while balancing wit with poise.
They say that there are certain things, which are best left unsaid. How do we tell which ones to say or not? In a world where filtering what we say to others to preserve relationships and to avoid enmity, how truthful could one really be? It seems like this piece goes beyond mere make-believe. Thank you for a well-written and insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”