Official Review: The Darziods' Stone by Richard Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Official Review: The Darziods' Stone by Richard Smith

Post by lavellan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Darziods' Stone" by Richard Smith.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Darziods' Stone is a sci-fi fantasy novel written by Richard Smith. The book revolves around five teenagers and their unintentional involvement in a two hundred-year-old curse. The teenagers, Harry, Asad, Amelia, Ryan, and Mitch, are visiting Cornwall on a holiday from school. While exploring an old building, the friends find an ancient code detailing the location of a mysterious treasure. This discovery launches them into a centuries-old battle between good and evil.

I thought that Smith did a good job of expanding upon historical information within this novel. Smith utilized events and groups such as the French Revolution, the Knights Templar, and the Freemasons to shape and add credibility to the plot. I also appreciated that the main cast had distinct personalities. For example, Harry was portrayed as being extremely intelligent and often took the lead in stressful situations. On the other hand, Asad was a bit of a scaredy-cat. Additionally, the novel was fairly action-packed. Insight into the curse and action scenes were included frequently and in great detail. One tense scene involved the teenagers trying to navigate rough waters while attempting to gain information on the location of the treasure. I found myself on the edge of my seat in anticipation of what was going to happen next.

One of my major complaints concerned the ages of the characters. The characters were around 14 years old. However, some of the topics discussed in the book as well as the writing style made their ages questionable. For example, situations involving underage drinking and graphic depictions of violence were present. This made me confused about the target audience of the book. The characters’ ages implied that the book was targeted toward young adult readers, but the actual content of the book seemed more suited for older audiences. Additionally, small sketches were included intermittently throughout the novel. While the sketches were of good quality, they were too small and scarce for me to truly appreciate them. It may be better to dedicate a whole page to the pictures. I also found issue with some of the characterization. At times, the characters seemed flat and uncaring. For example, Mitch is seriously injured during a car chase. Instead of helping him or at least showing some concern, one of the good guys helping the teens tells the rest of the cast to abandon Mitch. This seemed very heartless, especially considering that Mitch is a minor.

The Darziods' Stone contained errors. While they were not grave enough to detract from my enjoyment of the novel, the errors indicated that the book still needs to undergo another round of editing. A common error present in the book involved missing quotation marks.

I rate The Darziods' Stone 2 out of 4 stars. While I enjoyed the historical background of the novel, the issues concerning the intended audience and characterization were significant detractors for me. I would recommend the novel to readers with a background in French history and who are interested in science fiction. Readers who do not enjoy large amounts of historical information may be bored by the book.

The Darziods' Stone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lavellan's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the lovely review! It is always a pity when the characters are not well developed/the plot is not well thought out. It sounds like it would be a much better read after another round of editing.
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

This book sounds like an interesting read with all the historical info added. Too bad the characters weren't realistic enough to hold the story together. I'm not into science fiction much, but every now and then I can enjoy a good book of this genre. Thank you for the interesting review, lavellan.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The plot sounds very interesting, therefore, I can understand your disappointment with the editorial job. Great review.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Good point about the target audience. I'm sorry this book fell short for you. Thanks for the information, though!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

The book did sound very interesting and had enticed me to give a read. I do like historical additives in a story to give it credibility. I am not sure that some of the detractors you pointed out would bother me so I might add this to my want to read book shelf. Thank you for an informative review.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

The French history aspect is interesting. I agree that the things you were seeing probably do raise the target age. Thank you for a good, comprehensive review. I feel like I have a good handle on the book.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

The premise sounds good, but I don't know if it is enough to intrigue me. I may add it to my 'check out later' list and give it a go if I have free time. I don't know if what you mentioned would bother me, but it does seem a bit out of character. Thanks. for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”