Official Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
steigerd
Favorite Book: The Boys in the Boat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steigerd.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Re: Official Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by steigerd »

This is a good storyline but needs more development. Needs a deeper understanding of the characters. The relationship is between Donja and Torin moves to fast. Could see this as several books. The introduction of integration into the new family and meeting Torin, development of the relationship of the two main characters with the history of their unique cultures, and the finale.
decafmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-decafmama.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by decafmama »

I also felt a 2 star rating was appropriate for this book. I was distracted by the amount of violence, especially during the more "romantic" scenes of the book. Vampire novels are typically violent, but if I want a romance novel, I want romance, not violent sex. What did you think about that aspect of the book?
steigerd
Favorite Book: The Boys in the Boat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steigerd.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by steigerd »

There is so much violence in the books we read, movies we watch, news broadcast, and in the general public; I think, I'm getting immune to the violence parts and since I like romance, I focus on that when I read. If, I think about the violent sex, yes, I do believe there is too much. Maybe that is why I'm starting to read older books published in the 1940s, '50s and earlier. I even find I'm watching more black and white movies for the storyline and good acting. Give me a good Jane Austin book or movie, and I find that entertaining. However, if one wants to sell books today and publish, it seems the more violent and sex involved the better the chance.
decafmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-decafmama.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by decafmama »

Would you put this under Romance or Fantasy Horror? I thought the author was trying too hard to straddle genres, which made the storyline confusing. I'm not sure romance is the correct genre, though, because of the paranormal plot. Would Twilight or some other similar novel which focuses on the love story between the paranormal character and the human be in romance or fantasy/horror?
Khalayi254
Currently Reading: Kiss of Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khalayi254.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Khalayi254 »

I understand some thoughts here but I think the title fits the book as it is about Donja who was prophesied to be the red queen and whom everyone is running to have. Or maybe I have it wrong?
Sarziesarah
Currently Reading: Ghostly Manners
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Sarziesarah »

The beginning was unimpressive .I almost put the book down .For one I believe if the characters culture and customs of their clans/races was abit more detailed.forexample the way of life of the "beings "was inadequately illustrated.Also its seemed to be ment as a romance book but sadly the emotion in this book was lacking .I mean the main characters' chemistry was lacking,the familiar ease of friendship and emotion involved with friends and family seemed to lack too.As for the antagonist ,hmmh his schemes didnt bring me any anxiety. Overall author didnt care much about the other characters just their use to move the story along. But aside from all that I liked the plot it was simple enough with alot of humor and and afew pages.
The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.
John Milton
Favour Jesulona
Currently Reading: The Lost Girl of Berlin
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-jesulona.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by Favour Jesulona »

I've read this book too
I think the rating is justified
I didn't see anything remotely sci Fi in the story
nidhi_27
Favorite Book: A Thousand Boy Kisses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidhi-27.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by nidhi_27 »

I just loved your review. I have read the book and I loved how you pointed out everything that covered the book perfectly. Your review seems to the point discussing all the necessary pointsl. And I agree with you, the book should be under romance genre.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”