Official Review: The Lion Roared FREEDOM

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: The Lion Roared FREEDOM

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lion Roared FREEDOM" by Andrê Black.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his book The Lion Roared ‘FREEDOM’ André R. Black delves into pertinent issues plaguing society and toys with the idealist view of whether unconditional love is the silver bullet that will save humanity from imminent self-destruction. The author presents this point of view in a captivating work where science fiction meets philosophy and erotica.

The story revolves around four main characters; Gábor, his wife Helena, their son Leo and their good friend Ivan. Gábor and Helena found each other and as their interaction with each other grew, a steamy love affair brewed culminating in the birth of Leo. The happy couple’s blissful bubble burst when their bundle of joy began to develop an unknown condition which caused excessive hair to grow all over his body and his physical appearance to morph into that of a cat.

These changes negatively affected Leo’s parents and when one doctor suggested that they take Leo to see a veterinarian, it dawned on them that they had a huge problem on their hands. They arrived at an amicable decision which led them to abandon their family and friends and hastily relocate from Hungary to Canada to shield their son from the harsh realities of the world. With their marriage on the rocks, Helena and Gábor’s love life dwindled, but they had to save face for the sake of their son. Along the way, more compromises were necessary but who knew that amidst the turmoil, a silver lining would emerge for this young family.

As I flipped through the pages, the author’s riveting writing style and the unique premise of the story kept me hooked and yearning for more. The book’s deep philosophical nature kept me reflecting on my own life, and I ended up picking a few principles that I intend to apply to my own life. Although this is a work of fiction, it canvases various topics such as religion, human interaction, world peace and sexuality.

The characters themselves are relatable, and it was a wonderful experience to be a bystander throughout their trials and tribulations. Their strong opinions inspired me; their moral dilemmas had me involved in their decision-making processes, their breakthroughs had me rejoicing with them, and their low points had me urging them to stay strong.

As much as I liked the story, the downside is that it lacks an antagonist and in instances where I was looking forward to getting more immersed in the characters lives, raunchy sex scenes popped up and almost watered down the reading experience. A significant reduction in these scenes would allow room for more significant material to enrich the story, thus eliminating the massive cliffhanger at the end. Although this makes sense because The Lion Roared ‘FREEDOM’ is the first in a series of ten books and the cliffhanger seems to be the building block for the next book, I still feel that there’s room for improvement.

My verdict then is that the pros far outweigh the cons, which include the multiple typos I spotted throughout the book. The remedy for this would be a round of editing. I will, therefore, award this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to any open-minded adult.

The Lion Roared FREEDOM
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Sounds like a very interesting story. I don't think I would like the sexual scenes interrupting but still seems like an intriguing read. Thanks.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 17 May 2018, 10:27 The author presents this point of view in a captivating work where science fiction meets philosophy and erotica.
The author had me here ^^
The happy couple’s blissful bubble burst when their bundle of joy began to develop an unknown condition which caused excessive hair to grow all over his body and his physical appearance to morph into that of a cat.
The author lost me here^^ :lol2:

After reading the rest of your review though, it seems the author puts thoughtful insight into the realities of relational struggles. I suppose the marriage of the serious personal struggles with the often fantastic sci-fi throws me off.

Thanks for this revealing review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the review, and the premise does seem really interesting!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Very interesting. It does sound like there are deep issues explored in the book. But yet, it sounds quite entertaining. Thanks for the introduction to this.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

NL Hartje wrote: 20 May 2018, 10:48
Mercy Bolo wrote: 17 May 2018, 10:27 The author presents this point of view in a captivating work where science fiction meets philosophy and erotica.
The author had me here ^^
The happy couple’s blissful bubble burst when their bundle of joy began to develop an unknown condition which caused excessive hair to grow all over his body and his physical appearance to morph into that of a cat.
The author lost me here^^ :lol2:

After reading the rest of your review though, it seems the author puts thoughtful insight into the realities of relational struggles. I suppose the marriage of the serious personal struggles with the often fantastic sci-fi throws me off.

Thanks for this revealing review!
NL Hartje, you nailed it! :D I had to skip back to look at the genre because I was like, "Wait. What kind of book is this?" I am not a fan of erotica and that would be a point of hesitation for me. It is a great review, however.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Thank you for your feedback. I was hooked the moment I read the introduction, but I was so confused because it sounded nothing like science fiction.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love how Mercy has delineated this very fascinating story. It has such a wonderful premise which pulls at the heartstrings. Excellent review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It's an interesting premise, but I'm not a fan of erotica. Thanks for the review.
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

The book,The Lion Roared FREEDOM by Andre Black, really sounds different and interesting. I like cliffhangers, because then I look forward to the next book coming out. However, NL Hartje, when you got to the part of the raunchy sex scenes, I decided it wasn't worth the read. Thank you for your informative review.
agboola adenike
Currently Reading: White Witch
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by agboola adenike »

the talk on Leo's body turning hairy like that of a cat could make the reader feel for the love turning sour for the two couple and would definitely catch the readers attention to read to the ending of the misery but the raunchy sex scenes can definitely let the reader get pissed off
smartboy
Currently Reading: Bite Me
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by smartboy »

Thanks for the review but the premise do not sound reali intresting, but de part of leo body becoming hairy as that of a cat would realy catch a readers attention.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Science fiction, philosophy, and erotica? This seems like an odd combination. I'll have to pass due to the "raunchy sex scenes." Thanks for your informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

Not exactly what I was expecting from the title, as far as plot but it seems pretty par for the course in this case. Great review, though.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”