Official Review: The Forever Horizon by Anthony Thomas Noto

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Official Review: The Forever Horizon by Anthony Thomas Noto

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Forever Horizon" by Anthony Thomas Noto.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Forever Horizon by Anthony Thomas Noto should have been a lot better. The book has a great storyline but, sadly, it’s not executed very well. Poor editing, inorganic conversations, and the lack of character development are just a few reasons this book didn’t live up to its potential.

We follow Dr. Raymond Price through most of the book. A highly educated and motivated man, we immediately like his character. He’s convinced by his mentor, Sir Larry Little, to climb Mt. Everest in search of the burial ground of George Leigh Mallory. Mallory went on a climbing expedition in 1924 and wasn’t seen again until his body was found in 1999. The ones that found his body took samples, but buried his body on the mountain. When Little tested those samples, he discovered a lot of questionable things. Since Price is an experienced climber, an expert in DNA, and has a strong background in Osteology, Little asks him to go find the body and get some answers.

Eventually, Price is ready to go, and he gets on a plane that should take him to Lutka, where he is to meet up with the team he will be climbing with. Unfortunately, the plane has some trouble and crashes into Everest instead. Price is injured, but rescued and taken to the Forever Horizon. From what I understand, Forever Horizon is a valley within the mountain that stretches are far as the eye can see. They say that it would take a week to walk from one end to the other. Sunlight enters through cracks in the sides, and the people there have created a “lightening” system (I’m not sure if the author meant lighting or if there’s frequent lightning). The people in the Forever Horizon live exceptionally long and healthy lives, but there’s a current struggle for power happening. There are a few other prisoners that we meet, and several indigenous people, both good and bad. Most people have what’s called “Infinite Wisdom,” which just means special mind powers (telekinesis and telepathy), but all to varying degrees. In fact, we find out a few chapters in that Price has these powers on a minor scale before he even gets to the secret valley.

I like that the story has a lot of moving parts and sub-plots, but it gets pretty hard to follow. By the end, I understood enough of it to see the big picture, but while reading, I found myself confused. Conversations between characters felt extremely fake and forced. Transitions felt abrupt and jarring. The most annoying thing about the conversations was probably that they kept repeating each other’s names. In a typical conversation, I don’t say the name of the person I’m speaking to in every other sentence. It’s just not necessary, especially if we’re the only two people in that conversation. Additionally, there was no character development. Everyone is the same person in the end that they were in the beginning. The only thing that’s different is that they’re now allowed to be that person. I thought Dr. Price, at least, could have developed into a stronger character, but, while his life and circumstances have changed, his personality and attributes have remained the same.

The book was poorly edited. I felt like I was reading someone’s first draft. I found ten errors before page twenty. There were missing letters and words, extra letters and words, and sloppy punctuation. I feel like this book could be amazing with some polishing. The overall concept for the storyline is solid, but the writing and editing need some work.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I took away a point for the poor editing. I took away another point for the subpar writing. I gave it a point for the story’s idea. I honestly think this would make a fantastic, four-star book, but it just needs some tender love and care first. If you’re a lover of Shangri La (like me), I recommend reading this book, even in it’s unpolished version. Otherwise, maybe wait for the rewrite.

The Forever Horizon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bb587's review? Post a comment saying so!
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Gosh, this sounded so promising at first until I got to the second half of your review. I see that dialogue thing happen quite a bit with the repetition of names and that totally takes me out of the story and into editor mode! Sorry to see that this one needs a little work because it sounds like it was off to a great start!
Everything happens for a reason...
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Great review. The finding of Mallory's grave seems to be a pull for quite a number of novelists and I guess Shangri-La isn't far from their minds. I must admit to never having read Hilton's book - Maybe I'll give that a go, as I don't think this one is from.
Elizabeth Pass

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Thank you, cpru68. Yes, it is quite annoying, cpru68. Using names over and over, cpru68, gets tedious fast. :D

Libs_Books, my grandmother had the audio book on tape cassette. We listened to it several times together, so I'll always treasure that story.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

The plot sounded intriguing. So sad the story and the writing just went downhill. I probably would have picked this book based on its plot. But with your review, I think I'll just give this a pass since it really looks so confusing.

Thanks for an informative and honest review.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

The plot of this book sounded so interesting until I got to the second part of your review...oh well. XD I was really tempted to pick it up at first, but I agree that formatting and grammar/spelling errors are a major turn-off no matter how amazing the plot (as well as bad dialogue)!

Thank you for your review, it was very illuminating :)
Elizabeth Pass

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Thanks jvez and Ginnamassa19! Let's hope the book gets revised someday!
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I've come to realise after being a reviewer here that editing is perhaps the most important aspect of the writing process. I understand your score. Thank you for this review.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the comprehensive review! It does sound like an interesting and inspiring read.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

cpru68 wrote: 12 May 2018, 08:57 Gosh, this sounded so promising at first until I got to the second half of your review. I see that dialogue thing happen quite a bit with the repetition of names and that totally takes me out of the story and into editor mode! Sorry to see that this one needs a little work because it sounds like it was off to a great start!
I do agree with cpru66! It is always so disappointing a book is long-winded and repetitive. Thank you for your detailed review!
Oceanside
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceanside.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Oceanside »

I appreciate that your review doesn't completely rip this author and his work apart, especially because it sounds like it wasn't very good. It's nice that you were still able to grasp that the concept of the book has potential. Thanks for the review!
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

Sadly this seems to be common place in OBC stories, at least most of the ones I reviewed. It really is sad. I know a lot of them are self published, but it wouldn't hurt to take more time in the editing process. Thank you for still remaining gentle and constructive in your review!
Elizabeth Pass

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

maggiechap wrote: 18 May 2018, 12:37 I know a lot of them are self published
I'm self-published, but I take extreme care in making sure I'm not having mistakes printed. I always have several people look over my work before I even request the first proof copy.

Thanks for reading my review!
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

bb587 wrote: 18 May 2018, 13:19
maggiechap wrote: 18 May 2018, 12:37 I know a lot of them are self published
I'm self-published, but I take extreme care in making sure I'm not having mistakes printed. I always have several people look over my work before I even request the first proof copy.

Thanks for reading my review!
Any time. I'm self-published as well (or will be soon) and plan on taking editing just as seriously (which might be why I'm a little opinionated about it), but most of the works I've reviewed on here lack the flow of an editor that would help smooth out the final touches of the book. Especially the series I just completed. A lot of the errors I find on here are so easy to fix with just a glance over from another person, but it's like they rely on the book reviewers for that instead of sending it through one more editor.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”