Official Review: The New Order of Alexandria

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: The New Order of Alexandria

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The New Order of Alexandria" by Joseph Roy Wright.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The New Order of Alexandria: The Island of Hella is a dystopian science fiction novel by Joseph Roy Wright. The book is broken into three acts spanning thirty-five chapters and 205 pages. Set in the year 2050, the United States of America is largely submerged underwater after being flooded by the North Pole's melting ice caps and now exists as a series of independent island nations. On one such island, Henry Carr and his sons, Jack and Derek, live a modest life, trying to make ends meet. Little do they know their world is about to turn upside down.

One day, Jack goes hunting in the woods and becomes lost. He eventually happens upon Littlewood, a small settlement with a close-knit community. Most of the townsfolk are welcoming and kind but Jack gets a sense there is something odd about one of Littlewood's inhabitants. As Henry and Derek frantically search for Jack, they are not immune to the perils of being in an unfamiliar environment. What follows next is a deleterious series of events including satanic rituals, slave camps, love triangles, and the military establishment known as the New Order of Alexandria.

This book is presented in third person omniscient-or at least a vague approximation of it-although we primarily follow Jack and Derek. Alternating perspectives aid in striking a balance between character development and plot progression. The author installs an expansive array of twists to keep a reasonable degree of suspense, and does a nice job of crafting the book's ending with events that will transition seamlessly into the sequel.

Unfortunately, the negatives outweigh the positives of this book in most regards. The main characters speak from a cookie-cutter script, employing the same speech mannerisms, including a maladroit usage of swear words. I would have enjoyed more thorough descriptions of the characters’ physical appearances to assist with my mental imagery. Redundancy is an ongoing issue with the writing, creating a noticeable drag in the narrative's advancement. Furthermore, many scenes are either underexplored or completely irrelevant to progressing the plot.

The book is plagued by an infestation of grammatical errors, including the frequent misuse of the word “seen” instead of “saw” (e.g., “at first he seen nothing”). Random words are capitalized indiscriminately and I was perplexed by the sudden appearance of ampersands in place of “and” in Chapter Eight. One final observation: the reactions of the characters in dire circumstances is painfully unrealistic. For example, one of the characters is informed that his loved one had a “bit of an accident” (said “accident” was a bear mauling). Upon hearing the news, his reaction was, “Alright ---, I’ll head back shortly though just to check up on ---.” He then cracks a little joke and heads to a tavern.

I believe the author has a creative mind and a general understanding of how to impart his ideas into a story but ultimately needs help with some of the fundamentals. I feel like 2 out of 4 stars is a bit generous, but do not believe a 1-star rating is appropriate, so I have rounded up. Due to the language and mature themes, this book is not suitable for a young audience.

The New Order of Alexandria
View: on Bookshelves

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It seems like this book could have some promise. It's a pity about the sloppy narrative though. Well done for sticking it through and thanks for the great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Not really my cup of tea, but I appreciate you sticking it out to get to the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 10 May 2018, 02:41 It seems like this book could have some promise. It's a pity about the sloppy narrative though. Well done for sticking it through and thanks for the great review :)
Hi Bianka,
Yep, there is promise hiding in this book, but I must emphasize "hiding"
Thanks for your comment!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

AmySmiles wrote: 10 May 2018, 09:35 Not really my cup of tea, but I appreciate you sticking it out to get to the review!
Thanks a bunch for reading! I appreciate it :)
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

A dystopian novel with lots of errors peppered in the contents is a complete turn-off. So bad to hear the weird reactions of the characters on dire situations in the story. Thanks for the detailed review.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Oh dear, what seems like a promising book has been ruined by the grammatical errors present, which is always a pity. That being said, I believe that with some revision and fine-tuning, the book would be better. Thank you very much for your review!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Dolor wrote: 11 May 2018, 09:41 A dystopian novel with lots of errors peppered in the contents is a complete turn-off. So bad to hear the weird reactions of the characters on dire situations in the story. Thanks for the detailed review.
Thank you for reading and commenting, Dolor :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

gen_g wrote: 12 May 2018, 01:11 Oh dear, what seems like a promising book has been ruined by the grammatical errors present, which is always a pity. That being said, I believe that with some revision and fine-tuning, the book would be better. Thank you very much for your review!
Thanks so much for reading and leaving your thoughts!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book seems to be an interesting diastopian fiction, full of adventure, horror and thrill. Thanks for your interesting review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Thanks for the review! Sounds like the author is young or inexperienced, so the characters don't have their own unique voices. Disappointing! I like scifi books, and just reviewed one myself, but I don't think I'll pick this one up any time soon.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 13 May 2018, 11:08 The book seems to be an interesting diastopian fiction, full of adventure, horror and thrill. Thanks for your interesting review.
Thanks for checking out my review and leaving a comment!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 14 May 2018, 15:08 Thanks for the review! Sounds like the author is young or inexperienced, so the characters don't have their own unique voices. Disappointing! I like scifi books, and just reviewed one myself, but I don't think I'll pick this one up any time soon.
[/quote
I agree with your assessment :) thanks for commenting!
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

If only the book hadn't been so messy, it might have actually been an interesting read. The summary sounds interesting, but it just seems to go downhill from there. Great review!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

BriennaiJ wrote: 14 May 2018, 16:31 If only the book hadn't been so messy, it might have actually been an interesting read. The summary sounds interesting, but it just seems to go downhill from there. Great review!
[/quote

Right you are :) Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”