Official Review: ANTimatter by David Winship

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: ANTimatter by David Winship

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "ANTimatter" by David Winship.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

ANTimatter by David Winship is a humorous, quirky sci-fi book. It tells the adventures of Neil, a young man who is taken to the planet Melinda to act as a peace negotiator. This is the third book in The Voyager Series, so there is a fair bit of backstory to catch up on. Neil’s late grandmother married an alien from Melinda and went on to became its leader. The conflict between Melinda and Earth was caused by invasion attempts by ant-like creatures called chillocks, and a misunderstanding over a heart transplant. On Melinda there is a small human population descended from abductees who were taken to keep Neil’s grandmother company. These people want to be returned to Earth and have staged an uprising in order to get their way. Neil finds himself negotiating on their behalf.

I love humour, I love quirky, and I love sci-fi. So this book has all the ingredients to be a top favourite for me. However, as I tucked a napkin into my collar, pulled the bowl towards me and prepared to fill my boots, I found that I had been served the ingredients but not the meal itself. I can’t put my finger on why it didn’t work for me. Perhaps some of the humour was lost in the delivery, yet the author biography on the Amazon page is hilarious.

It may be that I found the characters to be rather one-dimensional. I had no idea what Aysha looked like, except that she was wearing jeans. I also didn’t get much of a visual impression of John or Ollie, and I initially kept confusing yukawa3 with casimir2. The only characters that I had a firm handle on were Neil himself, polkingbeal67 because he carried an umbrella, and ‘the woman with the skull tattoo on her cheek’ for obvious reasons.

A great deal of the story is delivered as a stream of consciousness or as dialogue and banter. Most of this was entertaining but not laugh-out-loud funny. At one point, Neil gave a description of global capitalism to Ollie which was quite in-depth and technical. This didn’t seem quite right coming from a character who had proved earlier that he couldn’t tell the difference between a constellation and a galaxy.

I was impressed to find that this is one of the best-edited books I’ve reviewed for some time. I only spotted two errors and they were technicalities, American spellings in a British book.

Despite being book 3, ANTimatter stands alone and the recaps are spread out within the story which helps with the flow. Although I didn’t dislike the book, it’s not one that I’m going to be recommending to my friends, so I can’t rate it a 3. I am rating it 2 out of 4 stars (fair). I would have liked to give it 2.5 for being so well edited.

Although it didn’t hit he spot for me, I’m sure that there are other people out there who like quirky, humorous sci-fi and who would appreciate this book.

ANTimatter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm not into these types of books, but I appreciate the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

AmySmiles wrote: 09 May 2018, 06:53 I'm not into these types of books, but I appreciate the review.
Thanks for commenting. Books are a very individual thing.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm not sure I've ever read a funny sci-fi. Too bad it wasn't that great. Thanks for the info.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I don't no about humour and sci-fiction been put to a same bucket before. But the impression I got from the review just kept me tossing around. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

teacherjh wrote: 09 May 2018, 11:43 I'm not sure I've ever read a funny sci-fi. Too bad it wasn't that great. Thanks for the info.
There’s plenty of it around, The Hitchhikers Guide To Three Galaxy, Red Dwarf, Dirk Gently’s Detective Agency. Thank you for commenting.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 10 May 2018, 01:36 I don't no about humour and sci-fiction been put to a same bucket before. But the impression I got from the review just kept me tossing around. Thank you!
There is quite a lot of humourous sci fi out there (see comment above) and I usually love it. Thank you for commenting.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the review, and it seems like I wouldn't be picking up this book, as I would prefer my characters to be multi-faceted in order for the story to be engaging.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

gen_g wrote: 11 May 2018, 09:44 Thank you for the review, and it seems like I wouldn't be picking up this book, as I would prefer my characters to be multi-faceted in order for the story to be engaging.
Thank you for commenting.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I appreciate the review, the first half had me totally wanting to buy the book, the second half disheartened me, but I may still give it a shot just to check it out. Thanks for your honesty.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I get confused during a lot of sci-fi books and movies. I do like that it is funny. Thank you for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

maggiechap wrote: 18 May 2018, 13:42 I appreciate the review, the first half had me totally wanting to buy the book, the second half disheartened me, but I may still give it a shot just to check it out. Thanks for your honesty.
I hope you enjoy it, let me know what you thought.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 23:25 I get confused during a lot of sci-fi books and movies. I do like that it is funny. Thank you for the review!
You’re welcome.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”