Official Review: Trinity's Convergence by John Beachem

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Official Review: Trinity's Convergence by John Beachem

Post by NL Hartje »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trinity's Convergence" by John Beachem.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a barren world where lives and lands are vanishing, it is often the case that prophecy meets fate in the most unlikely place. This axiom proves true in John Beachem’s fantasy novel Trinity’s Convergence, Book One: A Trinity of Flames. As its title suggests, the book collides the wildly different paths and convictions of three rival clans, and only destiny’s intervention will prevent the ensuing violent bloodshed.

Readers are plunged into a realm where magic prevailed merely one-hundred winters ago but has since been expelled from creation by a divinely catastrophic event called “the Flame.” Lost and trying to rebuild what’s left of civilization, the people of the land struggle to re-learn mundane tasks and develop systems for culture without the aid of conjuring. A caravan of traveling tradesman introduces the scene and Miryam, a particularly strong-willed young woman, becomes our protagonist. When a meek and bumbling scholar stumbles upon their clan of merchants, all hell breaks loose as he names Miryam key to the prophesized return of magic and the Flame.

Miryam finds herself running from the Children of the Red Moon who are sworn to prevent the return of the Flame, and cautiously accepting the help of the Onyx clan who are enemies of the Children (but historically unfriendly to traders). In a search for answers, the story follows conventional fantasy-style narratives’ multiple points of view along multitudes of paths grappling in one action-packed climax.

Beachem should be praised for his ability to spawn unique characterizations and present fresh settings and concepts. A triad of equally pokerfaced young women from vastly clashing backgrounds are detailed through flashbacks and a smattering of impactful similes which give insight into their humanity. Within his chiefly austere scenario, he incorporates a motley pair of comical medics whose Abbott and Costello-like banter provide a much-needed reprieve from the otherwise resolute exhibition. I also loved his introduction of new fantastic elements like the magical relic that wields the powers of old and a monetary system revolving around glowing stones which can be broken to create heat and light.

Despite my immense like for many of the book’s inclusions, I’ve chosen to remove a star due to the stale story progression and oft-confusing blips of reminiscence. Miryam is presented with a potentially life-changing charge, and the lives of both her family and numerous members of opposing clans are put on hold because of this. It was expected that after the suggestion of her involvement with prophecy, readers would be exposed to all facets of her pains and trials as she came to terms with her new reality (whatever that may be). Given only one murmured sentence of “likely” prophecy involvement though, Miryam and readers are then subjected to chapter upon chapter of stalled story development. No answers or clues surrounding the truth are given until the book’s wrap-up roughly 95% through the almost six-hundred-page saga. Then, once the culmination of information implodes, readers are still left wondering at details rushed through the few pages of the ending chapters.

It also may have been a sense of urgency that flawed what could have been beautifully constructed flashback scenes. Meaningful insights into the terrors of character flaws quickly disintegrated into a muddle of past and present, creating roadblocks to smooth reading. Alluring settings in a magically constructed wasteland are also undervalued because they served as filler scenes rather than structures of detailed import.

Trinity’s Convergence has all the trappings of celebrated epic fantasy. It sets readers up for a sequel and introduces a new world with spirited ideas. Hints throughout the book suggest that Beachem is playing at the devil in the details and executed more thoroughly, this coming of age story could be a smash among lovers of decisions, choices, and fate. I’ve rated this book 3 out of 4 stars in hopes of finding smoother transitions and more cognizant story progression its next installment. Readers of fantasy will likely love this well-edited foray into magic, and I suggest it to anyone who enjoys settling in for the long haul of a series. I for one look forward to Trinity’s Fate and hope it can achieve the perfection eluding its sister story.

Trinity's Convergence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NL Hartje's review? Post a comment saying so!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

...the story follows conventional fantasy-style narratives’ multiple points of view

This is good to know! Thanks for this detailed and eloquent review, which lays out the structural flaws in the plot of this otherwise promising fantasy novel. It does sound like world-building is good, though.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I can certainly appreciate the author's creativity! I was fully engaged in your description of the book, right up until the plot stalling. For a book of such length, I feel it's important to have a distinct progression. Thank you for a lovely review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The synopsis sounds interesting but too bad about the transition of the novel. Sounds like as if the author got carried away at a certain point but his creative mind is much appreciated. Thank you for a delightful review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thank you for your review. I enjoy reading a great series, but am unsure if to pursue due to stalling of story
jdailey8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdailey8.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by jdailey8 »

This is a fantastic review, very well done, thank you. I am very interested in reading it and love a "long haul" deep fantasy series. Even if the story stalls out a bit, it still sounds very interesting.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This sounded incredibly promising for half of your review. A slow progression of the story in such a large volume is too much of a deterrent. Beautifully written review, but passing on this one.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I was drawn in by the main character's beautiful name, ahem. But 600 pages in the first book of a series! I may have to miss this one. Sorry, Miryam!

Thanks for the detailed analysis, NL Hartje!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I love the sound of this premise. The idea that something might have caused the end of magic is a great theme to play with. I’m disappointed to hear about the stalled storytelling, though. I may put this on my to read list anyway. Maybe it just goes toward the bottom.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

This looks like something right up my ally, I'll have to check it out despite the few struggles of the story. It still seems worth it. I'll definitely add it to my bookshelf, thanks for the review.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Irene C wrote: 07 May 2018, 13:56
...the story follows conventional fantasy-style narratives’ multiple points of view

This is good to know! Thanks for this detailed and eloquent review, which lays out the structural flaws in the plot of this otherwise promising fantasy novel. It does sound like world-building is good, though.
Hey lady game friend. It DOES have good word building; the flow of words is lovely and the ideas ARE there. I think it has potential.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

SABRADLEY wrote: 07 May 2018, 20:49 For a book of such length, I feel it's important to have a distinct progression. Thank you for a lovely review!
Yes, if the pace could just pick up a bit, I think the sequel has true potential. :P
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 08 May 2018, 20:53 Sounds like as if the author got carried away at a certain point but his creative mind is much appreciated.
This is such a good way to put it! I think he was so excited about his side story that he meandered there a bit overlong. :lol2:
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 16 May 2018, 19:36 I love the sound of this premise. The idea that something might have caused the end of magic is a great theme to play with.
Yes! This too drove me to continue reading the book! I personally loved this idea!
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

maggiechap wrote: 18 May 2018, 12:35 This looks like something right up my ally, I'll have to check it out despite the few struggles of the story. It still seems worth it. I'll definitely add it to my bookshelf, thanks for the review.
Yes, give it a try! I would love to hear another's perspective!
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”